Weapon ranks upon promotion

Espinosa

Do you think characters will sometimes have more than E rank in previously unexplored weapon types when promoting to an advanced class or that the rank will be limited to E much like in Awakening?

I really hate Awakening's weapon rank system in this regard tbqh. If the character promoting could have a higher second weapon rank base, they might actually have some sort of utility (maybe not in Awakening, considering the ridiculously simplified nature of its combat system), but who'll actually promote Tharja to a Dark Knight so that she can use Bronze Swords or seriously bother having Wyvern Lord Panne using Bronze Lances (unless her power is so redundant she might as well work on her lance rank too)? The second weapon option has to provide an additional utility - immediately and not just for grind-happy players - and the characters should have a sufficient weapon rank to make use of it.

I suppose there have been plenty of instances of both in the FE history, often within the same game. In FE5, there's Swordfighters promoting into Mercenaries gaining a useless E rank in axes, while the caster classes usually get big rank increases including a nice base staff rank if they hadn't been able to use staves pre-promotion. In FE6, it's not really efficiently possible to turn a mage/shaman into a utility staff user because you only get E in the new weapon type, but your original weapon type does increase (or both in the case of Cavaliers). FE7/8 have a much nicer picture, with tons of classes getting at least D rank in a new weapon type, but not all of them in FE8's case (always in FE7).

I really like how it was done in the DS games, though some classes benefited from it more than others - that gave incentive to use these classes over their mounted counterparts however, and reclassing was widely accessible. Swordmasters' C swords or Snipers' C bows at base, no training required, make them very handy units in many situations.

I'm also surprised Kamui has dragonstone rank right now. Wonder if there's going to be a variety of these weapons?

Do you think characters will sometimes have more than E rank in previously unexplored weapon types when promoting to an advanced class or that the rank will be limited to E much like in Awakening?

I really hate Awakening's weapon rank system in this regard tbqh. If the character promoting could have a higher second weapon rank base, they might actually have some sort of utility (maybe not in Awakening, considering the ridiculously simplified nature of its combat system), but who'll actually promote Tharja to a Dark Knight so that she can use Bronze Swords or seriously bother having Wyvern Lord Panne using Bronze Lances (unless her power is so redundant she might as well work on her lance rank too)? The second weapon option has to provide an additional utility - immediately and not just for grind-happy players - and the characters should have a sufficient weapon rank to make use of it.

I suppose there have been plenty of instances of both in the FE history, often within the same game. In FE5, there's Swordfighters promoting into Mercenaries gaining a useless E rank in axes, while the caster classes usually get big rank increases including a nice base staff rank if they hadn't been able to use staves pre-promotion. In FE6, it's not really efficiently possible to turn a mage/shaman into a utility staff user because you only get E in the new weapon type, but your original weapon type does increase (or both in the case of Cavaliers). FE7/8 have a much nicer picture, with tons of classes getting at least D rank in a new weapon type, but not all of them in FE8's case (always in FE7).

I really like how it was done in the DS games, though some classes benefited from it more than others - that gave incentive to use these classes over their mounted counterparts however, and reclassing was widely accessible. Swordmasters' C swords or Snipers' C bows at base, no training required, make them very handy units in many situations.

I'm also surprised Kamui has dragonstone rank right now. Wonder if there's going to be a variety of these weapons?

WRT FE7 starting new weapon types out at D rank: What? That only applied to the lords and bishops.

WRT FE7 starting new weapon types out at D rank: What? That only applied to the lords and bishops.

Yeah you're right. My memory didn't serve me so well and I misread the on-site promotion gains data (I figured (+1) entails +1 weapon rank and not just above 0 wexp, equivalent to E rank) when I decided I should doublecheck it.

Yeah you're right. My memory didn't serve me so well and I misread the on-site promotion gains data (I figured (+1) entails +1 weapon rank and not just above 0 wexp, equivalent to E rank) when I decided I should doublecheck it.

Yeah, I think it's time Vincent fixed that.

Misleading? It's perfectly consistent with how the page works and there's no reason for a "+1" even in terms of weapon rank to bring a character who didn't even have an E previously right past it to a D.

It'd still make it consistent with the other games' on-site pages and erase all possibilities of confusion. I probably wouldn't have been misled if I read the whole page again, but I was just scanning for specific info when I was thinking about the topic of this thread.

Yeah, it's no big deal.

It would do wonders for character building. That said, part of the problem isn't so much starting at E, but that the E rank weapons in Awakening are too weak. If bronze started at the strength of iron, then people would have more of an incentive to use them. Having most E ranks gained on promotion start at halfway to D instead of rock bottom would also help. I don't agree with the DS games being a good example, but that's more or less that I think promoted reclassing isn't a good idea.

If bronze started at the strength of iron, then people would have more of an incentive to use them.

Forging exists and money is plentiful. Also, infinite Arms Scrolls are a thing.