Felicia/Jakob likely not gender-exclusive

VincentASM

I noticed a few people in the Treehouse/E3 threads worried or annoyed that choosing your Avatar's gender determines whether you get Felicia or Jakob (Joker).

As in picking male Avatar has Felicia appear in the prologue chapters, etc.

In all likelihood, this is probably true near the beginning, but you will probably get the other later on.

Why?

In the Japanese-only May Nintendo Direct, you can see Jakob in My Castle, even though the Avatar is male.

Likewise, in a StreetPass battle, both sides have Felicia on their team, but the enemy Avatar is female.

Of course, via StreetPass/the Internet, you can recruit exclusive characters. So that could be the reason both characters are present like that, but I really don't think they'd complicate things for the video.

In the analysis Here:

http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-if/pre/treehouse-day-1-analysis/

It is stated that you are able to change the helper. "Within “Castle settings”, you can adjust its: Appearance (castle’s exterior and terrain), Music, Helper and Name."

I wondered is that what is shown on the screen or merely speculation? If it is what is translated from the pictures that gives me much relief.

In the analysis Here:

It is stated that you are able to change the helper. "Within “Castle settings”, you can adjust its: Appearance (castle’s exterior and terrain), Music, Helper and Name."

I wondered is that what is shown on the screen or merely speculation? If it is what is translated from the pictures that gives me much relief.

I'll give you a clue: The pictures are usually there for a reason XD

Yes, I translated the menu options. Menus are stuff are pretty straightforward, TBH.

I doubt it. On the website, you can see Jakob with Fem!Corrin in Felicia's place during the scene they played in the tree house.

I'm not raising my hopes on no gender-exclusive characters because I'll just be mad if it don't happens.

I'll give you a clue: The pictures are usually there for a reason XD

Yes, I translated the menu options. Menus are stuff are pretty straightforward, TBH.

I had assumed it's what the pictures had said >_< Thanks for translating ha ha. I am now very relieved :D

Stated this in the Romance topic, part me sadly awaits the Gender-locked units as "Evidence" for canon pairings...

I wouldn't mind if Felica was "Canon" though....

In the analysis Here:

Well, that's a huge relief. Thank goodness for translators like you, Vincent. Wish I had looked at that page earlier... I wouldn't have been nearly as irritated.

You are right, but maybe it will lock one of them as the "main helper"

For example, you could recruit both of them, but for the main story, only one of them will be you Loyal Servant (aka - whom will save your ass in cutscenes)

Just finished watching the Treehouse and it looks like your gender affects both the order in which they join and which one helps you out in My Castle.

But at least we can change which one is the helper as soon as we enter My Castle for the first time.

Edited by Leon of Nohr

I've been looking and trying to find an image of Felicia and Joker/Jakob in battle together, since I figured that'd pretty much settle it, but haven't been able to find one. Starting to lose hope to be honest.

I really hope they aren't gender exclusive. It's annoying enough when companies limit player choices when they think they have a good reason for it, but a case like this where there's no reason at all is going to be such bullshit.

Yeah, the fact that you can apparently recruit the other one via streetpass helps, as long as you can do it over the internet anyway, but even then I doubt they'll be full units with supports and all the other stuff that your 'real' units will have. And that's assuming you can even use them in the main game at all. We still don't know how streetpass recruiting actually works.

I honestly have no idea what they were thinking when they decided something like this was a good idea.

I've been looking and trying to find an image of Felicia and Joker/Jakob in battle together, since I figured that'd pretty much settle it, but haven't been able to find one. Starting to lose hope to be honest.

I really hope they aren't gender exclusive. It's annoying enough when companies limit player choices when they think they have a good reason for it, but a case like this where there's no reason at all is going to be such bullshit.

Yeah, the fact that you can apparently recruit the other one via streetpass helps, as long as you can do it over the internet anyway, but even then I doubt they'll be full units with supports and all the other stuff that your 'real' units will have. And that's assuming you can even use them in the main game at all. We still don't know how streetpass recruiting actually works.

I honestly have no idea what they were thinking when they decided something like this was a good idea.

You raise really good points here, but I'd also like to point out that Felicia clearly names Jakob ("Jakob and Flora are covering for me!") so it isn't as if he doesn't exist..... Which is usually the case when these types of replacements happen (one is switched out for the other and since they fulfill the same role, the other isn't mentioned). It's.... admittedly a weak case, but I don't see the point of even mentioning Jakob if he's won't be playable

call it a gut feeling, but ye

Edited by Meltlilith

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/bfwj/character/index.html

This doesn't really prove both of them are playable, but I just wanted to point this out... It's not from a battle, but if you look at the screencaps in Gunter's and Felicia's profiles, you can see Jakob and Felicia appearing in the same scene. So both of them exist no matter which gender you choose. And yeah, Felicia mentions Jakob in her dialogue, like we saw on that Treehouse stream.

Edited by Cadmium