Ryoma Discussion Thread

Anacybele

Okay, so since we've seen a few threads on other characters already, all of which were either Corrin or a Nohr character, can I have one for a lovable Hoshido guy? ^^

Sadly, it doesn't seem like a lot of people here like Ryoma a lot. They think he looks like a silly lobster or something. :( Personally, I think Awakening's Walhart has more lobster-like armor.

Anyway, I think Ryoma looks super cool and even kinda badass! And hot. :D Even with the long spiky hair. And that's saying something because I'm usually not a fan of this kind of hairdo, on guys OR girls. But for some reason, Ryoma looks great regardless of the hair. Heck, I even like his hair. I think he has cool armor too, even if red isn't my favorite color. It's not a color I hate though.

As a matter of fact, the moment I first saw Ryoma in the January announcement trailer, I was like "hey, he looks cool! :D"

I also think he has a cool English voice! It's so deep (even deeper than Xander's, I think) and also kinda badass. Reminds me of Lon'qu's voice in Awakening and I thought that dude had the most badass and awesome English voice in the game. Travis Willingham ftw. If he's doing Ryoma too, then HOT DAMN YES. :D

We don't know much about his personality yet, but from what little we've seen, I think I'll like it! I dig many of his facial expressions too.

Here's his translated website description:

ryoumatranslated.jpg

English translation drops the U from his Japanese name, btw. I like Ryoma better anyway, as I'm compelled to say it as "Ree-OH-mah" rather than "Ree-YOO-mah" which is what I said for the Japanese spelling of his name.

And just some cool gifs of him. :)

tumblr_inline_nmltxk1NHQ1s4f4rf_500.gif

tumblr_nm6kwnRMHs1urlqxzo2_500.gif

xnopi2gsk9ub91mdgbwz.gif

Ryo-Ryo :3 (I like calling him that now lol)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has a super cool design. Honestly him and a few others are making me want to run Hoshido side first. And he's probably a decent guy.

I do think he looks like a lobster but that doesn't mean I dislike him, that's part of WHY I like him.

Since he is part of the Samurai/Myrmidon class tree, I already like him.For some reason male Samurai's seem to be really bad ass and hot.

He was bae from day 1.

Actually there are lot of people who like him.

To me he's my second favorite character we've known so far, behind only Marxander.

I love his look as well, but let's see how his personality or character development is...

Fun fact: his name (at least the most common way to write it) literally translates to dragon-horse.

OMG, seriously? I love horses. :D Dragons are generally cool too! Though, Xander is the one that rides a horse...lol

Actually there are lot of people who like him.

So many seem to hop on the Xander/Marx bandwagon instead though. That makes me a bit sad too, cause I'm not a Xander fan. ._.

Heh, he doesn't look much like traditional Myrmidon family characters. Pretty rad though.

"Ree-OH-mah" is definitely closer to the Japanese pronunciation, because the "ou" sound becomes like "oh" rather than "u".

Ryoma's the only Hoshidan sibling that I really like. (Hinoka is meh to me, and I dislike Sakura and Takumi, but Ryoma seems really cool and to be a good guy) Not that it'll save him in the end though.

Edited by Monado Boy

I like him a lot. He seems like a good big bro and is my favorite of the Hoshido siblings. His design looks really good, too. The only thing I don't like is that point on his chin, though. Don't know why it bothers me so much, lol. His fighting scenes are really cool. Definitely using him on my Hoshido playthrough.

I also think he has a cool English voice! It's so deep (even deeper than Xander's, I think) and also kinda badass. Reminds me of Lon'qu's voice in Awakening and I thought that dude had the most badass and awesome English voice in the game. Travis Willingham ftw. If he's doing Ryoma too, then HOT DAMN YES. :D

I'm about 95% sure he's voiced by Matthew Mercer (who also voiced Chrom). It's tricky to tell from such limited dialogue, but I'm pretty confident in my ability to recognize him. His combat sounds are particularly unique; the yell at @1:03 in the trailer is what solidifies it for me.

If this is indeed the case, my choice just got harder, ahahaaa.

(As a side note, I'm also pretty certain that it's Travis Willingham voicing Garon.)

Edited by outside my frame

So far he's my favorite sibling on hoshido's side, and among all the 8 siblings he is ties on first place with Marxander. There is no way i dislike him, heck, he's a samurai brother, how could i not like that?

But one actor can voice more than one character in the the same game. Several did two characters in Awakening, in fact. Kyle Hebert did Validar and Frederick, for instance.

If it's Matthew Mercer behind Ryoma though, I guess I can live with that. I didn't like Chrom, but he did have a cool voice too.

He seems neat to me, but I think his armor looks more crab like then a lobster. I like crabs though because they are my zodiac sign and they move fast and are good fighters.

I think he looks cool and all, but out of all 8 siblings, he's tied with Xander (Marx) for least favorite. It's not that I dislike him, it's just that I like the others more.

Ryoma looks nice, but I honestly do not like his voice acting all too much. I don't like some of the squeaking voices of the Japanese version (compare Elise lines in the Japanese and English E3 2015 Trailer), but his voice is just too deep for my looking. But cool design, and he's a Swordmaster / Trueblade, which I like :)

I really do think Xander and Ryoma's battle with each other inside the burning building is their final confrontation with each other with one of them dying from it.

Ryoma says it's a battle to the death.

There's also an earlier trailer (presumably from the Nohr path) with Ryoma defeated and desperately struggling to get up.

^I think that's one of the gifs I put in the OP. :P

But yeah, it seems that an elder brother will die in each route. Likely the one you didn't side with.

I'm hoping that in the third path, both survive and it'll be more of a scenario where Corrin's all "I'm not going against either of you and some way I'll get you to stop fighting and be friends!" :P

So many seem to hop on the Xander/Marx bandwagon instead though. That makes me a bit sad too, cause I'm not a Xander fan. ._.

You can like both. Honestly if the third route lets you have both I'd absolutely love to see them have supports together. Talking about life as the oldest siblings and heirs to the throne and how different and similar their experiences are.

But I don't like both is what I'm saying. So far, I only like Ryoma. I don't really like Xander much. He looks silly to me, like he puts curlers in his hair every evening. And his facial expressions look like he's bored most of the time. I do like the clover shapes on his armor though.

Edited by Anacybele

Heh, he doesn't look much like traditional Myrmidon family characters. Pretty rad though.

"Ree-OH-mah" is definitely closer to the Japanese pronunciation, because the "ou" sound becomes like "oh" rather than "u".

Im a whitey and tend to call him Ree-oo-ma.

I prefer Marx.

Same. And i prefer his original name. No mi gusta un Xander. I really really dont like that localization. Its...not good. But i detest "Corrin" even more. Boy.... :facepalm:

But I don't like both is what I'm saying. So far, I only like Ryoma. I don't really like Xander much. He looks silly to me, like he puts curlers in his hair every evening. And his facial expressions look like he's bored most of the time. I do like the clover shapes on his armor though.

His hair is just wavy at the ends. My hair is the same way. Especially when I have it cut shoulder length. The shorter, the more wavy.

Im a whitey and tend to call him Ree-oo-ma.

Same. And i prefer his original name. No mi gusta un Xander. I really really dont like that localization. Its...not good. But i detest "Corrin" even more. Boy.... :facepalm:

Xander's localized name could be derived as a shortened version of Alexander the Great, King of ancient Macedon. That idea, alone, makes it great.

....Even if such a name like Alexander sounds basic, in comparison to Marx imo

You can have that kind of hair naturally. At least mine is. And I think his expressions are great, make him look like the stern, honest-looking, and caring brother that he is...

Xander's localized name could be derived as a shortened version of Alexander the Great, King of ancient Macedon. That idea, alone, makes it great.

....Even if such a name like Alexander sounds basic, in comparison to Marx imo

Agreed. Marx is such a good name. But we will get used to Xander eventually.

Edited by RidellCrimea