What Awakening's Story Did Right

Alisa180

Gonna have to admit that always confused me I get that the Morgan's from Future Past DLC are supposed to be Robin/Avatar's kid and that the Future Past is from an entirely different future than the kids come from but if you pair Avatar up with a gen 2 kid (Avatar x Lucina for example) then it kinda hits a snag because its implied in the text that Morgan was brainwashed to go up against her friends.

Regardless its not really important but it did always perplex me.

Not important, maybe, but it does have a resolution.

It's basically the same case as Nintendo's official explanation for ALttP in the Zelda timeline: you, the player, fail in Awakening (at Cht.23, presumably, but it's not specified) and FP is the result. So Morgan can still be born to any parent, be it a kid from the future or someone like Yen'fay, and then grow up with and later fight against the set of kids that you help out in FP.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Not important, maybe, but it does have a resolution.

It's basically the same case as Nintendo's official explanation for ALttP in the Zelda timeline: you, the player, fail in Awakening (at Cht.23, presumably, but it's not specified) and FP is the result. So Morgan can still be born to any parent, be it a kid from the future or someone like Yen'fay, and then grow up with and later fight against the set of kids that you help out in FP.

Well that makes more sense. I guess then you could say the one that comes from FP to Awakening would be the the other Morgan while the character married to Avatar would make another one.

Maybe I'm just too forgiving towards FE13, but while the story had problems, I found it enjoyable enough to play through multiple times. Heck, I didn't even notice the problems until they were pointed out to me! And since I didn't get very far in FE10 before I got frustrated, nor have I played FE4 or FE7, I haven't really experienced the more "in-depth" stories the FE series seems to be known for. And I'm okay with that. Awakening is a simple, entertaining story and I'm okay with that. I don't like my games to dampen the experience by being dark and serious and complicated most of the dang time, because that's no fun to me. I don't want games to constantly make me sad. Some things have to be taken in moderation, you know?

Edited by TheGhosteon

They're twins, both born in FP timeline to whoever you married (in the case of 3rd gen Morgan, to children who came from a different failed timeline to save that one).

Got it. Damn time paradoxes...

Maybe I'm just too forgiving towards FE13, but while the story had problems, I found it enjoyable enough to play through multiple times. Heck, I didn't even notice the problems until they were pointed out to me!

I was the same way and thats coming from someone who played FE7, Shadow Dragon, and FE10 before Awakening.

- Frederick was an amazing crutch unit

I swear I've read crotch unit first. I thought it was a joke. BBM reading skills kicking in!

Anyway, Awakening's characters were not bad, they were just too tropey sometimes and could've been better written, but they weren't badly characterized. The plot was the only unredeemingly bad part because it felt very rushed, I couldn't care less about the villains and the setting because it kept changing each 6 chapters. The story is good, but the plot ruined it.

I personally think the liberties taken upon Awakening's story were due to a lack of budget, rather than a lack of good ideas. The game's story had a lot of potential to be much better, sure, but the game might have been the last we ever got, and IntSys scrapped together all their funds for this one.

[spoiler=spoilerinos]

From the very beginning of the game, you are thrown into your "Final Battle", and kill Chrom. You have no real reason why your Avatar would do this, you know nothing of his or her motives, where you have been placed or what's even going on. Then you're awoken by the very same man you just killed. The Chapter's name sets it up quite well, it's not something that's happened, it's a Premonition. At some point you know you will backstab this man, whoever he is, and wind up killing him. From the literal start of the game, you have two giant threats looming over your head as you slowly grow more attached to the cast, the bleak future that is to come, and the fact you kill Chrom, for whatever reason.

After that literal ton of foreshadowing, the game takes a more natural Fire Emblem approach, there's a nation, Plegia, troubling yours. And a common enemy, the Risen. Whether Plegia is having trouble with the Risen is never stated, but I like to assume they spread all over the world as they first appear with the Children. Assumingly, those Gates (like what Lucina jumps out of) appeared all over the World as the 16 Children came back. This would explain how they got scattered, too.

Gangrel is probably the best villain in the game, despite my huge bias to WARE WA GURIMREI, as he's one of those villains who you are made to hate. First with his capture of Maribelle, then with the murder of Emmeryn, and just the way he taunts you all the way up to Chapter 11 before you finally get to kill him.

Grima is actually one of my favourite villains in the series because s/he is so mysterious. He introduces himself to the player in Chapter 6, with the very same character who you killed in the Premonition. Further amplifying connections between the two when it happens again, I believe this is after Chapter 10? I like how the threat of Grima is presented to the player, this unstoppable god of destruction being revived and wiping out the world, yet s/he has been with you the entire time. And in essence, you ARE Grima. I mean, I look at it this way. Robin is the Avatar of Grima, and Chrom is the Avatar of Naga. They both to a degree symbolise the dragons they represent, Robin through Cunning, Guile and Betrayal, and Chrom through Caring and Companionship.

Walhart, while he is my least favourite of the 3, mostly from coming at a massive low point in the game's story, is actually a great villain because he has similar ideals to Emmeryn. Different methods of course, but outside of Grima, none of the 3 main villains are really heartless monsters, they all have reasons for their actions and once you can get behind them they make a lot more sense as characters.

Overall, Awakening's major problem was it's story. The gameplay was for the most part top notch and thankfully a lot of the budget went to that it seems. Liberties had to be taken somewhere and it unfortunately happened in the characters. While I personally don't find any of the characters that "flat" or 1 dimensional, that may be because of my personal bias towards them. I can certainly see the flaws with Awakening, but I love it all the same for it's much improved game system, and the characters who are good are really good. I personally don't think that while a game should be striving for deep characters, it's really that necessary. I am thankful that the budget went to the gameplay, and not making Olivia have more traits that make her best girl. (Because I mean, come on) I think that Awakening's character quirks add a whole lot of depth to them, it just requires viewing a lot of the support conversations and realising the characters at time can be a bit rigid due to lack of development funds.

Ignoring the actual story, which is pretty ramshackle and scattered, what Awakening did right was its treatment of the characters

I think small things like in-battle dialogue, base conversations, etc really made the characters a lot more distinct and memorable in general, facilitating a fandom that had hitherto not really existed

Pre-Awakening, the majority of the FE fandom were weird antisocial nerds who argued about tier lists and tried to beat the game on maximum efficiency, trust me I was there

And yet all along FE had had the recipe for fandom success: in-built shipping, high female-to-male character ratio (compared to other games), large depth of story and character. And yet this didn't attract a fandom; what attracted the fandom in these early days was the statistics, the difficulty, the gameplay. Join times and base stats meant more than personality and relationships. Awakening changed all that, and the question really becomes why.

Why did Awakening succeed at growing a much more story- and character-centric fandom despite the story being in general weaker than previous installments? The pair-up mechanic is a good start. It very much pushed the tertiary shipping element of the game into the forefront and made it an unavoidable gameplay aspect. In fact bonds and relationships are buzzwords plastered all over the story itself, to the point it becomes obvious this was a tactical decision on the developer's part. The children help for a similar reason. These aren't really things about the story, but they are things that are STORY-RELATED. In fact, character and story are far more intwined with the story than in previous installments. Your units talk during battle scenes, their relationships are directly important to combat in an absolutely critical way, and it becomes more and more difficult to ignore who your units actually are as opposed to what their stats are (especially their movement stat).

So what Awakening did right was correct a longstanding issue in Fire Emblem: it married the gameplay to the story instead of leaving them extricably separate entities. In general this creates a more fulfilling story experience beyond simply the words themselves, which can sometimes leave much to be desired.

Henry's I'M GOING TO KILL YOU is a much stronger and persuasive moment of character than some of the phenomenal support conversations of FESS or PoR, because Henry's line is a direct part of gameplay while the support conversations before were hidden, ignorable

Why did Awakening succeed at growing a much more story- and character-centric fandom despite the story being in general weaker than previous installments?

I don't suppose it had anything to do with massive amounts of marketing that other entries never received...

And FE has always been built on gameplay-story integration since the very first game, thanks to the combination of permadeath and unique characters.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi