[FE6] Basic question

Imminent

I'm new to hacking ROMs, and recently I've been reading up a bit on hex editing tutorials. However the one thing I can't seem to find any explanation on, is how you determine the offset values of what you're looking for in the first place?

For example, there exists an HP cap on characters the player controls that limits them to 60 HP. Nightmare editor can raise the class HP limits for the class in general but not for the player HP cap. The upshot of this is that CPU enemies of the classes whose HP cap you raise can go beyond the original cap, however classes the player owns cannot.

What my question is, how do you find a hex value you are looking for? If I want to know where this HP cap is in the code, how do I find it? How do I know if its a global cap, or if its applied on a class by class basis?

This is the main problem I've been having, everything else I understand pretty well. I'm not sure if its because I'm missing something obvious, I'm stupid, or if its just not an intuitive process.