My personal take on the class translations (Hoshido)

timmydayo

Hoshido:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGmGoBCUGxQ

Nohr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxU3qWxPNRI&feature=youtu.be

I understand there is already a video out there with the classes translated, but I tried to "refine" everything. Still working on Nohr though.

EDIT: Too used to GameFAQs where they don't let you edit posts after a certain amount of time.

Edited by timmydayo

Nice video! Though I just want to point out that the Puppeteer class uses Shurikens and Bows, not Swords/Blades :)

Aah, thank you!!! How did I put "blades" in there....

Alright, my OCD is gonna force me to re-upload this.

Edited by timmydayo

So much Saizou on this thread...

But anyway, thank you for this! Looking forward to seeing the Nohr one as well.

There's never enough Saizou anywhere.

Anyway, very nice and comprehensive video!

Why such an insistence on using 'halberds'? Halberds are axe-spear hybrids, much more specific than the sorts of polearms we see Hoshidans using. Naginata aren't halberds.

Why such an insistence on using 'halberds'? Halberds are axe-spear hybrids, much more specific than the sorts of polearms we see Hoshidans using. Naginata aren't halberds.

Interesting. Searches show that halberds come in two forms: a pole with an axe at the tip, and a pole with a curved blade at the tip, the latter of which I'm pretty certain Hoshidans wield.

EDIT: They're Japanese-style halberds, but they're still halberds.

Edited by timmydayo

Interesting. Searches show that halberds come in two forms: a pole with an axe at the tip, and a pole with a curved blade at the tip, the latter of which I'm pretty certain Hoshidans wield.

OreShika translates the Naginata users as "halberders", so there's a precedent.(and given how Japanese that game was, it's a good argument.)

Anyway, another excuse to rewatch the video. How nice !

Pretty sure halberds are specifically an axe-head. A closer western equivalent to the naginata would be the voulge or glaive.

[spoiler=Voulge]

Voulges.png

[spoiler=Glaive]

300px-Glaives_by_Wendelin_Boeheim.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't translate Katana, Naginata and Kanabo when they went out of their way to choose a Japanese theme.

Edited by NekoKnight

Pretty sure halberds are specifically an axe-head. A closer western equivalent to the naginata would be the voulge or glaive.

[spoiler=Voulge]

Voulges.png

[spoiler=Glaive]

300px-Glaives_by_Wendelin_Boeheim.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't translate Katana, Naginata and Kanabo when they went out of their way to choose a Japanese theme.

Not sure if related, but the official localised version kept Katana and Naginata, but replaced Kanabo with Club (which I really like).

Not sure if related, but the official localised version kept Katana and Naginata, but replaced Kanabo with Club (which I really like).

That's fair. Everyone knows Katana, and many people are familiar with eastern style polearms, even if they don't know the names. It would probably take a Japan enthusiast to recognize Kanabo so changing it to Club is a fair compromise.

Just a note, you used sorcerer for both Hoshido and Nohr. I imagine Nohr's upgraded dark mages will likely take the sorcerer title. That being said, I have no idea what to call Hoshido's mage classes. I just don't think they'll use sorcerer/divine sorcerer, when there's already another class called sorcerer.

Anyway, thanks for the videos! I appreciate your hard work very much. Sorry for the nitpicking.

Just a note, you used sorcerer for both Hoshido and Nohr. I imagine Nohr's upgraded dark mages will likely take the sorcerer title. That being said, I have no idea what to call Hoshido's mage classes. I just don't think they'll use sorcerer/divine sorcerer, when there's already another class called sorcerer.

Anyway, thanks for the videos! I appreciate your hard work very much. Sorry for the nitpicking.

Yeah, someone on GameFAQs pointed out to me, so I put a note on the Hoshido video to instead call Hoshido's Sorcerers "Spellcasters." But thank you too for noticing that.

And nitpicks are very much appreciated! It's a huge help for my translations and the people that watch them. No need to apologize.

Edited by timmydayo