Think with limited Supports that children will be unique?

Unique Children?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Will they be unique?

• Yes, they will differ in look, personality and supports based off parentage.
    • No, would require too much work even with limited Supports.

I can imagine there would be some differences, i.e. hairstyle and color as well as possibly their personality being different but I'm not sure. There's too little we know about the whole system so far for me to make an educated guess on the matter.

Edit: Appearance-wise I think their faces//expressions would stay the same though, I just think the main difference would be the hair. I'm only basing this off of the fact that Kanna seemed to have a hairstyle that mirrored that of Felicia and Shara's hair looked more similar to Orochi's but assuming she's meant to be not!Tharja and that three of the children will be the 3 most famous adult/parent characters in Awakening according to Japan's poll (Gaius, Cordelia and Tharja, excluding Chrom because that would just be weird), and that all three of these not!Parent/Adult characters are on the Hoshido side to balance out the whole not!Children on Nohr then I'm not sure if Shara's hair would actually change at all and it would just be color that changed. I'm guessing that for the not!Parent/Adult characters their personality remains the same no matter what as well, this would also allow the designers to go more ham on creating more unique children for other characters and their pairings as the not!Clones probably don't take as much effort.

Edited by Kyza

I don't think the comment about pairs being limited means much. Technically in Awakening the pairs were limited to two groups of 1st and 2ng gen characters. Many 1st gen characters were left out of those groups and could only get S rankings with the avatar. There's no way they'd go out of their way and design specific children to special pairings. It'd add way too many characters and just limit customization options in the end, which is the main gameplay point of the children.

I don't think the comment about pairs being limited means much. Technically in Awakening the pairs were limited to two groups of 1st and 2ng gen characters. Many 1st gen characters were left out of those groups and could only get S rankings with the avatar. There's no way they'd go out of their way and design specific children to special pairings. It'd add way too many characters and just limit customization options in the end, which is the main gameplay point of the children.

it's stated that marriage pairings are restricted so I could see unique pairings.

From all the infos coming out lately it seems to work just like awakening,other than that the father side determines a specific child this time,with the female Avatar or maybe even Aqua as exception.

Edited by Laie

it's stated that marriage pairings are restricted so I could see unique pairings.

Need to double check the original lines,but iirc it just sounds like how it is in awakening,only the avatar gains access to the widest romance potentials,while others are restricted to certain match ups

My point is that just saying that the pairings are "restricted" is extremely vague.

You could apply that description to Awakening too (1st gen can't marry 2nd gen, aside from the avatar. Chrom and Sumia have only 5 possible S rankings, 1st gen characters who join in Valm and later only have S rankings with the avatar). That's technically "restricted" pairings, you can't just pair anyone with anyone.

Besides, do you really want, say, 40 characters restricted to specific S supports, but you're only able to get 12 or so per playthrough at best, while also leaving many S supports without any character? It'd also cut the number of 1st gen characters by quite a bit too, since they could have added more 1st gen characters rather than all those extra children who'll barely be seen by most people unless they replay the game multiple times.

I don't think personality is going to change due to how much time and effort would be put into them (unless you want really bland, boring characters...), but I think their appearance will change and be handled like the MU where there is "parts" that are mixed and matched to create the character. So each child will have a different accessory/feature exclusive to one parent, so at least they look somewhat similar... unlike some in Awakening.

My point is that just saying that the pairings are "restricted" is extremely vague.

You could apply that description to Awakening too (1st gen can't marry 2nd gen, aside from the avatar. Chrom and Sumia have only 5 possible S rankings, 1st gen characters who join in Valm and later only have S rankings with the avatar). That's technically "restricted" pairings, you can't just pair anyone with anyone.

Besides, do you really want, say, 40 characters restricted to specific S supports, but you're only able to get 12 or so per playthrough at best, while also leaving many S supports without any character? It'd also cut the number of 1st gen characters by quite a bit too, since they could have added more 1st gen characters rather than all those extra children who'll barely be seen by most people unless they replay the game multiple times.

its good for replayability and the source is pretty much talking about 1st gen characters especially since both sides are pretty short on characters so I can see unique child characters.

Doubt it is going to be more than the hair color.

I mean children aren't even central to the plot this time around,so I doubt they'll really bother with that.

However I think that this time the conversations with the "other"-parent(the one that isn't tied to the kid,in this game its the mothers) might be a bit more unique.

I think it would be cool to have unique kids for different couples, but I don't think it's going to happen. From the characters I can remember at the moment, there are about 12-13 potential fathers on each route, assuming children are tied to the males, but there are more unrevealed characters that are likely potential parents. Say that in this hypothetical situation, each guy has five potential wives. That's at least 60 potential children for one side alone. Trust me, it aint gonna happen. (Besides, it would be frustrating for people like me who have the compulsion to recruit every single character in one playthrough.)

I think it would be cool to have unique kids for different couples, but I don't think it's going to happen. From the characters I can remember at the moment, there are about 12-13 potential fathers on each route, assuming children are tied to the males, but there are more unrevealed characters that are likely potential parents. Say that in this hypothetical situation, each guy has five potential wives. That's at least 60 potential children for one side alone. Trust me, it aint gonna happen. (Besides, it would be frustrating for people like me who have the compulsion to recruit every single character in one playthrough.)

I mostly thinking parental characters having 3-4 childless pairings for one unique child with a certain difference in them and of course Kamui can have 1-2 children.

But if pairings are limited this time, I can see the children having unique supports.

If they are basing the number of limited supports to other FE games (other than Awakening and FE4), the max number of ending/marriage supports would be ~5 , with some characters having less than that.
However, after Awakening, I'm not sure if they would do the same thing as described above.

But if pairings are limited this time, I can see the children having unique supports.

If they are basing the number of limited supports to other FE games (other than Awakening and FE4), the max number of ending/marriage supports would be ~5 , with some characters having less than that.

However, after Awakening, I'm not sure if they would do the same thing as described above.

I can see it since both sides are pretty short unit-wise

I'm really hoping it is. At least in terms of support conversations and possible supports. Radiant Dawn would've been a bit better if it fleshed out the characters more instead of relying on generic supports. Given the amount of time designers were given, maybe?

As for changes in appearances... I don't think that'd happen outside of hair color.

I mostly thinking parental characters having 3-4 childless pairings for one unique child with a certain difference in them and of course Kamui can have 1-2 children.

You're sacrificing playability for replayability though. Who would go with pairings that would cause them to lose units, especially in a first playthrough?

Besides, I'm not sure it'd even add replayability. Would these children be completely different characters with their own scripts? In that case, how would their supports even work? They'd have extremely limited support lists unless they could support every possible 2nd generation child.

If they just reused dialogue (so, all of Ryoma's possible children would reuse the same script for example, just have different names and appearances), and so replaced each other in the support list... what would be even the point? That'd be a neat visual gimmick, but it wouldn't be adding replayability, but rather just cutting it compared to Awakening's system. Something like that could work in a RPG where only the main character has pairings chosen by the player, it really doesn't work for a game like Fire Emblem where the player has control over many characters and their relationships.

I can see it since both sides are pretty short unit-wise

I don't think they revealed all 1st gen units yet. The werewolf and the blue haired maid, for example, are almost certainly 1st gen characters and yet still haven't been officially revealed with profiles and such.

Edited by NeonZ

Just look at the not!Tharja with Tsukuyomi and Orochi. What part of those two parents does THAT come from.

She has Tsukuyomi's hair accessory and Orochi's hair color. Although, really considering how Kanna has Kamui's ears and Felicia's hair color, all this just points out towards the children being tied to the father and the mother changing the hair color, the reverse of Awakening, rather than anything more developed.

Edited by NeonZ

She has Tsukuyomi's hair accessory and Orochi's hair color. Although, really considering how Kanna has Kamui's ears and Felicia's hair color, all this just points out towards the children being tied to the father and the mother changing the hair color, the reverse of Awakening, rather than anything more developed.

I meant what parts of their personality that we've seen.

You're sacrificing playability for replayability though. Who would go with pairings that would cause them to lose units, especially in a first playthrough?

Besides, I'm not sure it'd even add replayability. Would these children be completely different characters with their own scripts? In that case, how would their supports even work? They'd have extremely limited support lists unless they could support every possible 2nd generation child.

If they just reused dialogue (so, all of Ryoma's possible children would reuse the same script for example, just have different names and appearances), and so replaced each other in the support list... what would be even the point? That'd be a neat visual gimmick, but it wouldn't be adding replayability, but rather just cutting it compared to Awakening's system. Something like that could work in a RPG where only the main character has pairings chosen by the player, it really doesn't work for a game like Fire Emblem where the player has control over many characters and their relationships.

I don't think they revealed all 1st gen units yet. The werewolf and the blue haired maid, for example, are almost certainly 1st gen characters and yet still haven't been officially revealed with profiles and such.

like I said replayability is good and of course there's werewolf garou as for the blue hair maid not sure restricted supports leads to better well structure dialogue.

like I said replayability is good and of course there's werewolf garou as for the blue hair maid not sure restricted supports leads to better well structure dialogue.

Just a reminder that Chrom had limited romantic supports (five) and yet you still had the extremely bland ones with the female avatar and Sumia.

Edited by NeonZ