[FE8] Animation Insertion Problems

Orange Juice

So, I've been following the instructions (http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=34510&page=11#entry2881467) on how to insert custom animations. But when I get to the part regarding hex editing, I start having problems.

See, when I type the correct hexadecimal animation code - or, for that matter, type anything at all - into any free space in the hex editor, two things happen to the GBA file:

1. When the game would normally load any battle animation, it violently freezes (by violently, I mean my ears would be ringing if I hadn't turned the volume off).

2. When attempting to open the game in FEditor Adv, I receive an error saying, "There was an error processing one or more file streams."

When what I have typed is removed, of course, everything returns to as it is normally.

So, since I have failed to fix the problem for the past three days, I figured I would turn to you guys for help.

Some things it might be useful to know here:

-I am using a Mac computer.

-As HxD is not available for Macs, I am using Hex Fiend as my hex editor instead. If anybody has a suggestion of a hex editor that might work better, I am open to those suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

See, when I type the correct hexadecimal animation code - or, for that matter, type anything at all - into any free space in the hex editor

what exactly does this mean (what are you inserting and where are you putting it)

have you tried on a fresh ROM

Ah yes, I probably should have made that a bit clearer. I am referring to, in this case, the animation codes, transcribed into the hex editor as described in the tutorial. In this case, the code is 01 01 CA 00 09 01 CB 00 00 00. I am putting this into the free space between 0B2A610 and 0C00000, which is confirmed as being free space in the Known Free Space.txt file included with FEditor Adv documentation. And making even a very minute change - for example, putting one AA into said free space - causes the game to crash.

And yes, I have tried this with a clean, previously unedited rom. I experienced the same problem.

okay, advancing with the script:

Load in FEditor, save without anything, try again. Still broken?

When does the stream problem with FEditor occur? Before or after you do your hex editing? Have you closed your ROM in all programs before opening it in a new one (this includes your emulator)

See, I would have already tried to do that first thing - except the error occurs as soon as I try to open the game via FEditor, and is essentially locked out. As such, it doesn't give me the option to save the file because it doesn't let me open the file.

Anyway, the problem does happen after and only after I've done the hex editing. And yes, my ROM is not open in any other programs when I'm doing this.

open+save the ROM in FEditor before doing hex editing and try again. contrary to however redundant and useless this may seem, this does not do nothing.

my gut tells me the hex editor you're using is doing something weird and you should probably find a better one (i don't use a mac so i don't have any specific suggestions but ghex on linux works pretty well for me)

Edited by CT075

The "filestream" error comes from using a programming that marks the file as "currently being written to" so that hex editor probably did that. The programming Sappy will give the same error, as an example.