Using Lucy makes me a better Marf

Junkhead

Just to clarify, I'm not exactly a fan of the FE characters, much less in this game. But I've always loved Marf's mobility, and...that's about most of it, really. I really just tried Lucy out of sheer curiousity (since I can hardly play this game). Then I used Marf again and everything just translated better, it's insane.

Yeah, Marth's sourspot attacks have a lot less hitlag than Lucina's attacks regardless of where they hit, making them much safer on shields. And even when you hit with Marth's sweetspot and have the hitlag occur on a shielding opponent, it'll still be quite hard to punish for the opponent who's shield got hit by a tipper attack.

Also, Marth's sword range is actually somewhat longer than Lucina's, with Marth's sword range for upward attacks being increased slightly more due to his taller height and stance.

420px-LucinaMarthComparison.png

If you like mobility, the following articles may be useful:

Dashing Speed Rankings

Horizontal Air Speed Rankings

Falling Speed Rankings

Thank you. I was mostly referring to overall mobility, though. Not just when it comes to running or air speed, but how he's able to do cool things off Dash Dancing and Pivoting (Perfect Pivot, which I don't use and things like F-Tilt/F-Smash off a Dash). He and Lucy (another thing that caught me) also have a great Pivot Grab, which can really catch you off-guard, thanks to it's deceptive range.

Yeah, Marth's sourspot attacks have a lot less hitlag than Lucina's attacks regardless of where they hit, making them much safer on shields. And even when you hit with Marth's sweetspot and have the hitlag occur on a shielding opponent, it'll still be quite hard to punish for the opponent who's shield got hit by a tipper attack.

Also, Marth's sword range is actually somewhat longer than Lucina's, with Marth's sword range for upward attacks being increased slightly more due to his taller height and stance.

420px-LucinaMarthComparison.png

Apparently Lucina's a bit stronger, but that's just about it. "A bit" stronger. However, I do think it makes a slight difference, since I was killing not much over than 100% with her F-Smash. With rage, it's another story (it's pretty scary, I think I killed a Zelda at 44 the other day.......). However, regarding Marth. Unlike Brawl, he can actually kill pretty decently without TIPPERS. He's been severely nerfed in just about everything that isn't range, but as ZeRo has said, he pays off with effecient play. He's also pretty good at frame trapping, and getting a bit of decent stuff off a D-Throw (you have be pretty quick, though). Many times I'd catch people up in some pretty mean juggles through the likes of U-Airs & U-Tilts.

Edited by Soul~!

According to the wiki, Lucina might be a better rushdown character because she has guaranteed damage unlike Marth. Her sword trail is so..... solid!

That's like saying Ganondorf is a better characters than C.Falcon because he does better damage. :awesome: okay, I'm definitely exaggerating. But if she has more lag on her attacks and less range, that doesn't make her better at it...

That's like saying Ganondorf is a better characters than C.Falcon because he does better damage. :awesome: okay, I'm definitely exaggerating. But if she has more lag on her attacks and less range, that doesn't make her better at it...

Not necessarily better damage, but guaranteed damage. If you're good at spacing, Marth deals more damage. But if you're good in general, but not good at spacing, Lucina might be the better option. But if she really has more lag and less range, that makes me veeery ambivalent about trying her.

Edited by Zera

It's only garanteed if you can get away with it, often. (,: I don't think she's TERRINDABAD. I have to look more into her character. Characters that aren't good at establishing a neutral game (basically, keep to yourself, don't over-comit to laggy attacks and stuff) have a tough time against Sheik. Just so happens that a friend of mine pretty much only uses Sheik, so it wasn't a great time to try out either Marf or Lucy. I actually sort of use MK, and he's at a similiar both.

Also, use Lucy if you want to.

Who is "Marf"? As far as I know there's only "Murph".

Anyways, yes, basicly the whole point of Lucina is that she's a Marth for newcomers. Once you know the spacing, you can switch over to Marth.

Too bad that Marth isn't exactly the greatest in Smash 4..

Sadly, the best buff you can give Lucina is to make her an alternate costume.

Or just give Marth his perks from Brawl/Melee and giving Lucina said perks without the tipper.

Edited by LordTaco42

Differences between Pit and Dark Pit: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Dark_Pit_(SSB4)#Differences_from_Pit

Dark Pit has slower arrows with a bit more damage, Side special KOs horizontally instead of vertically, and that's basically it. Waste of a character slot in my opinion. Dr. Mario and Lucina at least have noticeable strengths and weaknesses compared to their originals.

Marf's defenitely better, lol. They wasted a whole character slot on both Lucy & Dark Pit (who's actually almost a main, lawl), when they could've just made him a different costume...so much for not adding Chrom because you didn't want another blue-haired swordsman, SAKURAI!

Also, what's that about giving her an alternate costume.

Edited by Soul~!

Also, what's that about giving her an alternate costume.

What we meant was make her a skin for Marth as originally intended since few people use her. I'd prefer it, since more competitive people would use her.

Wouldn't the horizontal knockback for Dark Pit be better? Considering that gets an opponent off stage and that's where Dark Pit can go in for a KO?

Differences between Pit and Dark Pit: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Dark_Pit_(SSB4)#Differences_from_Pit

Dark Pit has slower arrows with a bit more damage, Side special KOs horizontally instead of vertically, and that's basically it. Waste of a character slot in my opinion. Dr. Mario and Lucina at least have noticeable strengths and weaknesses compared to their originals.

Dark Pit's better at fighting Rosalina among other things because of the horizontal knockback hits Luma off stage.

Also there was no "waste of slot" considering Dark Pit, Lucina and Doc were last minute why nots we can program for extra fanservice.

I guess Roy was a waste of a slot in melee since he sucks in that game and there's no reason to use him. Yeah, this is horrible logic. Arguments against clones were always stupid anyway, so I suppose it should be expected.

Edited by Comet

Also, there was no "waste of slot", considering Dark Pit, Lucina, and Doc were last minute "why nots" we can program for extra fanservice.

That's actually my entire point. They could have just as easily been skins, so why waste a slot for them? The number of slots in a fighting game should represent the number of unique fighting styles. Any slot that contains a style that already exists is pointless, and therefore a waste of a slot. Lucina and Doc have overall differences from their originals, but Dark Pit is truly a waste of a slot.

That's actually my entire point. They could have just as easily been skins, so why waste a slot for them? The number of slots in a fighting game should represent the number of unique fighting styles. Any slot that contains a style that already exists is pointless, and therefore a waste of a slot. Lucina and Doc have overall differences from their originals, but Dark Pit is truly a waste of a slot.

There is no such thing as "wasting slots" because the amount of fighters isn't limited.

The only thing that can go to waste is developement time, that could've been used to create a fighter other than the 100th Mario character or Pokemon! (Good thing there's DLC.)

Clones don't waste time, though. They merely need some slight alterations to their attacks and balancing, which doesn't take much time. Sakurai himself said that.