Theorycrafting in this game's gonna be over quick...

Airship Canon

Unlike Awakening, which spent forever on optimal skillsets for the kids...

You can just buy any possible skillset from Streetpass. [Even if this isn't possible for Gen 1 because things only apply to Base class? It is possible in Gen 2]

It's really just going to come down to "Pass the Best Mods"-- because you can simply load up someone's My Castle and get what you want from it.

Awakening didn't really have a "One Ring". It had things that were just better than others [and maybe a few select pairs that stomp others], but Fates-- it really is just Mods, which will lock into a perfect Meta once we have all of the relevant data availible [and face it, we've got most].

That's awful design from any angle.

[is there anything Fates did right with it's second gen? Anything at all? Hyperbolic Time Chambers, No Care for Skillset management, a real "Mathematically Superior" method of pairing... //sigh/]

Sorry if I am way out of the loop here, but what do you mean by this?

If you win a Streetpass battle [which uses WiFi now] you can buy skills to the same character.

I.E. you encounter a Lutz with Breaking Sky, you can buy Breaking Sky for your Lutz.

Wow.

Really, pairings don't matter anymore.As long as you know somebody with a different pairing to you, you can just buy a skill.

Damn, we thought kids were broken already.

I'm pretty sure that the first generation can get any skillset as well, since they can marry Kamui and use a marriage seal to get his/her second, customizable class. The only skills they can't get are ones from special classes but that's true of the kids as well. That's how I understand it anyway.

Even so, the kids will still be better thanks to the modifiers. Like, I love Charlotte's mods, +3 str makes for a great berserker. However, Velour, Flannel's kid, can have up to +8 str by marrying Flannel to a str specced Kamui. In fact, having Charlotte as her mother gives Velour a +7 str mod. The first generation characters just can't compete with that.

Aqua/Azura is probably the only character who has a role that can't be taken over by a kid, since only she can dance. Some of the adult characters do have much better personal skills than the kids, but I'm not sure if it'll be enough to make up for the greater modifiers.

Edit- You might be able to make an argument regarding Kamui's, Ryoma's and Xander's personal weapons, not sure, depends on how good they end up being. (I think they're the only ones with personal weapons)

Edited by capmalachi

Someone said in one of my gamefaqs topics that you can just buy skills from your own logbook units, negating the need for streetpass. Unsure if that's true.

If it is, then once you've obtained a file that has all the characters with all the skills, you need not use Streetpass.

I'm pretty sure that the first generation can get any skillset as well, since they can marry Kamui and use a marriage seal to get his/her second, customizable class. The only skills they can't get are ones from special classes but that's true of the kids as well. That's how I understand it anyway.

Even so, the kids will still be better thanks to the modifiers. Like, I love Charlotte's mods, +3 str makes for a great berserker. However, Velour, Flannel's kid, can have up to +8 str by marrying Flannel to a str specced Kamui. In fact, having Charlotte as her mother gives Velour a +7 str mod. The first generation characters just can't compete with that.

Aqua/Azura is probably the only character who has a role that can't be taken over by a kid, since only she can dance. Some of the adult characters do have much better personal skills than the kids, but I'm not sure if it'll be enough to make up for the greater modifiers.

Edit- You might be able to make an argument regarding Kamui's, Ryoma's and Xander's personal weapons, not sure, depends on how good they end up being. (I think they're the only ones with personal weapons)

And then you go Charlotte!Velour!Kanna... and get a +11, fun times, hello supers.

Which is eventually going to mean that ...it'll come down to mods.

And just mods.

Edited by Airship Canon

And then you go Charlotte!Velour!Kanna... and get a +11, fun times, hello supers.

I hadn't even thought of that. And you can put Kanna in your logbook too, and then recruit them in another file. Lol this game even has pvp. Five third generation Kannas with the best mods and skill sets, plus even unique classes.

Edit- Well, you might not be able to recruit multiples of the same character, to be fair.

Edited by capmalachi

Even with other people's My Castles, you would need to be able to find the desired ones first. That may be tedious, searching for the correct ones to visit, or if not, will tend to occur between friends conspiring to do that with each other.

And even if working with your own game and adding people to Spotpass, that would take a lot of playthroughs. Doing that so that you can eventually optimize everyone isn't practical. Class inheritance would still matter under reasonable numbers of playthroughs.

I believe it's a conscious design decision to make it easier for everyone, newer players and older players who don't want to go through the "grind".

And as an added bonus, people can stop looking down on other less experienced players like what happened in Awakening.

*cough*

I can't wait to load my characters with crazy skills and have people visit my castle with friend codes XD

The last bit is possible, right?

Or at least with castle addresses.

EDIT

Also, I'm actually looking forward to seeing how broken the pvp is. The DS games were just lol Brave weapons.

Edited by VincentASM

EDIT

Also, I'm actually looking forward to seeing how broken the pvp is. The DS games were just lol Brave weapons.

I'd say it was more "Lol action replay capped every stat".

But yeah; PVP balancing clearly isn't Fates' primary concern.

Takumi and Leo have personal weapons. Takumi's Wind God Bow has 14 might, 70 accuracy, 5 critical, grants 10 extra avoid, and allows him to move anywhere accessible as if it is a plain. Leo's has a skill percent chance of lowering the enemies magic.

Source: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=54995

Even with other people's My Castles, you would need to be able to find the desired ones first. That may be tedious, searching for the correct ones to visit, or if not, will tend to occur between friends conspiring to do that with each other.

And even if working with your own game and adding people to Spotpass, that would take a lot of playthroughs. Doing that so that you can eventually optimize everyone isn't practical. Class inheritance would still matter under reasonable numbers of playthroughs.

It's pretty easy even now,i found most of the skills i want for specific characters by just googling the key words,or simply searching in the related 2ch thread,where castle addresses and skills are listed there.

People who dedicated their castles for skill attaining would take weapons off their characters,you can just go in and even do some support grinding along the way.

It would be even easier as more and more people get deeper into the game,and imagine how it goes once the 3rd route is officially out.

With how active this community appears to be these days,I am pretty sure my castle sharing would be quite convenient after the overseas release.

Personally while I kinda miss the good old days of obsessive pairing theorycrafting,in the end I think its a good change for most players' experience with the game.Not to mention you could still do it the traditional way for your own pursue of challenge.

Edited by Laie

I never cared for PvP so not much concern there but it will be disappointing for theorycrafting Apotheosis 2.0 or similar insane DLC. It won't be fun when every character could have every skill. Then again, people can still do "no purchased skill"/vanilla runs and what not.

Edited by xcel

While we are at it,shall we make a my castle sharing thread starting from now?

Or should this merges into the official my castle thread with the use of google docs maybe?

Edited by Laie

Takumi and Leo have personal weapons. Takumi's Wind God Bow has 14 might, 70 accuracy, 5 critical, grants 10 extra avoid, and allows him to move anywhere accessible as if it is a plain. Leo's has a skill percent chance of lowering the enemies magic.

Source: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=54995

Oh yeah, forgot about those two. Still, considering I doubt you can forge them (I have no idea how this game's forging system works, so this is an assumption on my part) they're probably not going to be nearly enough to make those units preferable to the kid characters.

Oh yeah, forgot about those two. Still, considering I doubt you can forge them (I have no idea how this game's forging system works, so this is an assumption on my part) they're probably not going to be nearly enough to make those units preferable to the kid characters.

Personal weapons like those are outright listed as unforgeable in the forging menu.With how things work this time I guess personal skills could play as more of the important factor in choosing one character over another for optimisation.

On the bright side, it does seem like weapon selection will come down to more than just lolbraveweapons like it was in Awakening, so that may open up a whole new level of theorycrafting for situational builds. As long as most of the children are similarly viable, there may still be an incentive to know certain "matchups".

Assuming stat inheritance for 3rd gen doesn't add an extra +1 to all mods, 3rd gen Kanna (being real optimistic here) may not end up being as stupid broken as 3rd gen Morgan was. Most of the gen 1 units have mod totals that add up to +0 or +1, so breeding for an incredibly high cap in one stat will come with real drawbacks in others that can be exploited by other human players.

It's pretty easy even now,i found most of the skills i want for specific characters by just googling the key words,or simply searching in the related 2ch thread,where castle addresses and skills are listed there.

People who dedicated their castles for skill attaining would take weapons off their characters,you can just go in and even do some support grinding along the way.

It would be even easier as more and more people get deeper into the game,and imagine how it goes once the 3rd route is officially out.

With how active this community appears to be these days,I am pretty sure my castle sharing would be quite convenient after the overseas release.

Personally while I kinda miss the good old days of obsessive pairing theorycrafting,in the end I think its a good change for most players' experience with the game.Not to mention you could still do it the traditional way for your own pursue of challenge.

For me it's kibda a mixed thing. I wanna battle PvP. But since I'm doing it without buying skills and using aqua because fuck it 3rd route canon all the way. I don't know if I can still compete.

It's not like my builds are bad. But as I said before I won't marry a child unit. For several reasons. So Kanna won't be op. Maybe I will change my attitude towards buying skills. Of course I would buy the skills I can get myself. I don't need to waste money on seals.

You are right without buying skills and only theorycrafting I'm pretty limited.

So that are some exampley what I can do. And while they are not perfect I think some sety will be doing their job good:Mu x Azura

-Lethality

-Breaking Sky

-Hoshido

-Flambouyant

-Counter/(Nohr)

-[Mysterious Appeal]

Classes required: Basara, Elite Ninja, Oni Savage, White Blood, (Dark Blood)

Endclass: White Blood

Assets/Flaws: Skill/Luck

Skill+: +2Str , +4Skl , +2Def

Luck-: -1Str , -1Mag , -3Lck

Overall: +1Str

-1Mag

+4Skl

-3Lck

+2Def

Azura x MU

-Breaking Sky

-Lancefaire

-Magic Counter

-Sun God

-Renewal/(Lifetaker)

-[Healing Voice]

Classes required: Basara, Golden-Kite-Warrior, War Priestess, (Dark knight)

Endclass: Basara

Overall: +1Skl

+3Spd

-3Def

Siegbert x Soleil

Parents: Marx x Charlotte

-Axebreaker

-Counter

-Luna

-Sol

-Aegis

-[Ladies First]

Classes required: Great Knight, Brave Hero

Endclass: Brave Hero

Skills inherited: Counter, Aegis

Overall: +6Str

+2Spd

+3Lck

-3Res

Anna

-Servant's Joy

-Battle Command

-Copycat Puppet

-Rally Skill

-Effective Medicine

-[Ger Rich Quick]

Classes required: Maid, Puppeteer, Herb Merchant, Bow Knight, Strategist

Endclass: Strategist

Overall: -1Str

+1Mag

-1Spd

+2Lck

-2Def

+2Res

Assuming stat inheritance for 3rd gen doesn't add an extra +1 to all mods, 3rd gen Kanna (being real optimistic here) may not end up being as stupid broken as 3rd gen Morgan was. Most of the gen 1 units have mod totals that add up to +0 or +1, so breeding for an incredibly high cap in one stat will come with real drawbacks in others that can be exploited by other human players.

Hmm, maybe, although adding up Charlotte!Velours stat caps, while she only excels in str, she doesn't take any huge hits anywhere else. -1 skill and -2 res are her only stats that actually have a negative modifier, while the rest are all at +0 at worst. Admittedly in terms of optimization a +0 stat cap can be considered bad, but my point is it's not like she's dealing with a -7 def to go with her +7 str or something.

Kanna's would be more extreme since Kamui's flaw would need to be factored in as well though.