Forging information

Ayra

I'm not seeing any recent discussion on forging, so here's my findings for the people interested.

To forge a weapon, you need the following three things:

1) A forge in your town. If Hoshido, you can only forge Hoshido weapons. However, you can visit a Nohr castle via internet/streetpass and do one forge there for your Nohr weapons.

2) Some resources that are gatherable in the castle. This is trivial to get if you visit other people castles and is free. The type of resource you need depends on the weapon's type.

3) An identical copy of the weapon you want to forge.

Forging does not cost any money (directly). #3 is the big sticking point.

What this means is if you want to make a Steel Club +1, you need to have two steel club and one is destroyed. What if you want to make a Steel Club +2? You need either two Steel Club +1, or four regular Steel Club.

You can seemingly forge every weapon as long as you have more than one copy of them. However, even with a max level weapon shop, the only weapons with infinite numbers available for sale are the regular weapons from Bronze to Silver. Everything else is available only in limited quantities. If you visit another person's castle, the only weapons available for sale are also Bronze to Silver from their race (So for example you have access in theory to an infinite amount of Silver Lances even on Hoshido), but no other weapons can be purchased there from what I can see.

Money is also pretty scarce even on Hoshido, so "infinite amount" is a relative term.

What's the benefits from forging? Increased damage and a tiny amount of bonus accuracy. For example, my Steel Club +2 has 14 damage and 72 accuracy, compared to a regular Steel Club's 10 damage and 70 accuracy. That's actually pretty good for a weapon with no drawback (since I'm using that on my Kamui general who can't get doubled anyway) and I do have a few Silver forges (you get a decent quantity of those during the game) for when I really need to kill something.

Conclusion? The Blacksmith skill that gives you free weapons might actually be very useful for forging, since you need to use copies to upgrade weapons. If you get enough free iron or steel weapons, you can turn them into pretty useful weapons. I'll try that class out next playthrough for curiosity sake, and it may be a good idea for a Nohr player to pick Oni as their Kamui's class.

This is very helpful, thank you. Clears up a few things I wasn't sure about.

However, even with a max level weapon shop, the only weapons with infinite numbers available for sale are the regular weapons from Bronze to Silver. Everything else is available only in limited quantities.

Hmm, do the other weapons that are listed, whatever they may be, ever restock?

Are forged weapons called "Whatever +1" or "Whatever +2"? I hope not. That would be so annoying (to me at least).

EDIT:

Well, I just forgot that we could change the names of the weapon, so it's not that big a deal. But on higher difficulties, will enemies have forged weapons with the whole +1 or +2 behind the weapon's name?

Edited by Leif

Thanks for the information. It's so interesting! However, I do believe that we have a few more questions:-

1. Do we have information in the max level of weapons?

2. Do the amount of resources needed increase exponentially as well?

Enemy weapons can have pluses in their names, yes.

Regarding the resources, it's a linear cost. Going from 1 to 2 takes 2 resources. So if you go from 0 to 2, you need 4 resource total (2 to make two +1 weapons, 2 to fusion the level 2). I spent all my money to buy 4 more steel clubs, and to go from 2 to 3 I needed 3 resources (after making another +2 club that is).

I have no ideas what's the max. At +3, my weapon got a +1 crit modifier on top of the +2 attack and +1 accuracy, and it looked to be upgradable to +4. However, I'm completely out of money, and even on Hoshido, money is very scarce and the skirmish income is EXTREMELY low when you pay for them. So from a practical sense (ie. If you are unwilling to waste many, many hours), even on Hoshido money is limited. Bronze or Iron weapons would have been cheaper though.

Enemy weapons can have pluses in their names, yes.

Regarding the resources, it's a linear cost. Going from 1 to 2 takes 2 resources. So if you go from 0 to 2, you need 4 resource total (2 to make two +1 weapons, 2 to fusion the level 2). I spent all my money to buy 4 more steel clubs, and to go from 2 to 3 I needed 3 resources (after making another +2 club that is).

I have no ideas what's the max. At +3, my weapon got a +1 crit modifier on top of the +2 attack and +1 accuracy, and it looked to be upgradable to +4. However, I'm completely out of money, and even on Hoshido, money is very scarce and the skirmish income is EXTREMELY low when you pay for them. So from a practical sense (ie. If you are unwilling to waste many, many hours), even on Hoshido money is limited. Bronze or Iron weapons would have been cheaper though.

The OCD in me is raging now. Anything with "+1" behind it looks sooo unpolished...

Bullocks...

What the heck?! Looks like Forging is incredibly expensive. Makes sense since weapons don't break. I guess that makes the Blacksmith's Smithy skill very useful since there is a chance to pick up a random weapon.

There had better be a Gold DLC so that I can forge all my units' weapons for my ultimate multiplayer team and not have to worry about managing my funds.

Edited by Leif

Conclusion? The Blacksmith skill that gives you free weapons might actually be very useful for forging, since you need to use copies to upgrade weapons. If you get enough free iron or steel weapons, you can turn them into pretty useful weapons. I'll try that class out next playthrough for curiosity sake, and it may be a good idea for a Nohr player to pick Oni as their Kamui's class.

Ack, now I'm torn! D: Do I go for Ninja and get two broken MUs for the price of one, or Oni and go crazy with the forging?

The OCD in me is raging now. Anything with "+1" behind it looks sooo unpolished...

Bullocks...

What the heck?! Looks like Forging is incredibly expensive. Makes sense since weapons don't break. I guess that makes the Blacksmith's Smithy skill very useful since there is a chance to pick up a random weapon.

There had better be a Gold DLC so that I can forge all my units' weapons for my ultimate multiplayer team and not have to worry about managing my funds.

The +1 shows up to the far right, like durability did in previous games. Moreover, it will show even if you rename the weapon, so if it irks you you can't do much about it really.

Some more info on forging:

Forging is useful for training weapon ranks in units you just promoted or reclassed, because you can buy like six bronze yumi and forge an 11 mt E-Rank weapon. Bronze weapons can't critical but it is better than nothing.

There is a gem cost for each level of forging. If you don't have enough of one gem type though, the forge offers a "Gem Exchange" option where you can trade five of one gem type for one of another. Very useful, as some gems are easier to get than others.

Edited by gayserbeam

Ah, I forgot about the forge. I should probably upgrade a few of my weapons. The lotto (kujibiki?) keeps giving me kunai weapons that I don't need.

Considering the limited resources, and how expensive weapons are, I feel like this system discourages forging.

Forging is useful for training weapon ranks in units you just promoted or reclassed, because you can buy like six bronze yumi and forge an 11 mt E-Rank weapon. Bronze weapons can't critical but it is better than nothing.

This is... a really good idea!