lol

I don't even play FF, but I don't have access to the newer ones? Should I play the older games from before their betrayal of Nintendo?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

2. 2. Which is better?

• FF10
    • FE10
  3. 3. Which is better?

4. 4. Which one is better?

5. 5. Which one is better?

What does that even mean? The damsel isn't dehumanized in the game world (e.g. Mario doesn't view Princess Peach as an object to be won), but in the external sense (e.g. the player has to save the princess, who is generally lacking in any sort of agency which is part of the issue, to win the game). I agree with whatever else you said, but this part really confuses me.

I'm not sure what it is you don't understand, you seem to get it pretty well. Peach not being blatantly dehumanized by the game's characters doesn't change the point.

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly the second part, since the characters are more of a goal/prize for the player than other characters in the world. I know it's kind of nitpicking (and honestly I'm not trying to defend the trope, which is pretty awful), but this is kind of an important distinction for me to make since it moreso places the blame on lazy scenario writers than characters who are otherwise doing noble enough actions.

Edited by Refa

I guess I could have said "player" instead of "hero." I said "hero" because the character is usually a stand-in for the player, but it's more about giving the player power than anything specifically with the character as a separate entity.

I am of the very likely unpopular opinion that FF7 was a steaming pile of shit all around. Maybe the HD remake will fix that, but honestly? It's gonna take a lot of writing fixes to make Cloud and the other not-Aerith mains likeable, which would fix one of my main issues with the game.

Talking about damsels in distress.

Would a game where the damsel saves herself from the villain be a good thing or a bad thing? I think that having the damsel being saved by another woman doesn't make much of a difference but what about the damsel saving herself? I've always wanted a game where the damsel saves herself instead.

I did not like Kirby's Air Ride. City Trial was a mediocre mode at best. The Racing mode was an unbalanced mess, majority of the vehicles was too slippery even with cars that had good handling. This means majority of the time, I would be crashing everywhere. Even with the brake boost feature. The 2nd mode was meh. The unlock system had too much random stuff that I had to constantly look up the internet in order to figure out how to unlock one specific thing.

Allow me to enlighten you. City Trial is meant for multiplayer. If you didn't like it, I assume you didn't play it with friends. Air Ride is not unbalanced. The machines themselves, however, are terribly unbalanced, although I think this is on purpose. For example, the Bulk Star is crap in Air Ride, but if you juice it up in City Trial it can become a beast. Every machine feels completely different, and this provides more unique experiences than having them all feel the same like in Mario Kart. The only slippery machine in the game is the Slick Star because petroleum jelly. If you want a machine with better handling, try the Wagon Star. It can't charge, but it excels at turning and has above average speed. I like the Swerve Star, because it's broken. You know what? Never mind. I have just three words - no blue shell.

I think F-Zero GX, Kirby Air Ride, Sonic Riders (the original), and Speedrunners are all better than Mario Kart.

(BTW, Speedrunners is a really cool game. It's like Mario Kart + Super Meat Boy + Super Smash Bros. + Super Metroid + level editor)

https://youtu.be/GWum9nYfqHE?t=6m45s

Here's one that'll start more controversey than societal issues and conspiracies put together...Drum roll please.

I think the inclusion of casual mode in Fire Emblem was a good thing for the series.

Edited by LordTaco42

Allow me to enlighten you. City Trial is meant for multiplayer. If you didn't like it, I assume you didn't play it with friends. Air Ride is not unbalanced.

I did play it with friends. But it's not something me and my friends constantly go back to.

Is it really that unpopular of an opinion?

Eh like alot of things depends on where you go. Some people especially around here will say that casual/FE13 started ruining the series.

Edited by LordTaco42

Is it really that unpopular of an opinion?

As I said in my first post, a lot of the opinions posted aren't really unpopular at all. For this one particular, there is certainly a vocal portion of the fanbase that despises Casual mode, but I wouldn't say supporting its inclusion is exactly unpopular.

I still think the plot is pants, but i love Walhart and Gangrel. And heres the real unpopular opinion (which im very vocal about anyway): Gangrel had the right idea. Emmeryn must go.

Yeah the plot is a bit lacking but the time travel things are in my opinion somewhat funny and interesting. Also long live the Conqueror and the Mad King of Pledgia!

And I agree with you Emmeryn needed to go and stay gone! It's not like I hate her but if she stayed alive the plot wouldn't go anywhere! And besides it was never about her not dying but yes if the fire emblem was or not stolen.

Edited by Yari

And heres the real unpopular opinion (which im very vocal about anyway): Gangrel had the right idea. Emmeryn must go.

Gangrel could hardly care less about Emmeryn. At most, he found it amusing that his luminous bargaining chip was willing to self-terminate. All he really wanted was the Fire Emblem so he could enact some vaguely-specified revenge on Ylisse--and we all know that he'd have been backstabbed by Aversa the moment he laid hands on it, anyway.

Edited by Tamarsamar

Talking about damsels in distress.

Would a game where the damsel saves herself from the villain be a good thing or a bad thing? I think that having the damsel being saved by another woman doesn't make much of a difference but what about the damsel saving herself? I've always wanted a game where the damsel saves herself instead.

They are not actually a damsel in distress if they save themselves. It would be a good thing since it gives the character agency instead of the damsel being some object to be saved

Hum... I'm sorry but i must react on the controversial "Damsel in distress subject"... it's not "inherently" a sexist trope, it's the way our patriarchal society depict it in mass media that is sexist ! To it's very core it's just a way to tale stories like "the guy kill the horrible beast" and nothing probihit it to be changed or reversed (it was done many time in the past and believe me waaayyyy before the 20th century). The formula of this trope isn't a guy save a girl in danger but a character A save a character B that is in danger. Being an amateur of chivalry novel i can afirme you that damsels save knight almost as much than knight save damsels but because of the mediavals ages and the excuse that the main character is a man when tend to completly overshadow theses. Even when a male hero come to the rescue of a female character, good writers tend to put trials even in the woman's captivity to proof that in her own way her virtue and wisdom can overcome what threaten her like Penelope in the Homer's Odyssey. In general in well writtens epic poetry and chivlary novels damsels have a LOT of powers wheter by political means (Eg : Queen Guenievre, Antigone...), magical means (Eg : Morgana ; Circe ; Calypso ; Medea...), Forseeing (Eg : Cassandra...) or simply holding the protagonist's love(Eg : countless). Indeed this is not has shiny than the role of the hero but it's an important part of all good adventures stories and whithout it all those wonderful stories would be bland. (I acknowledge than you can argue that those role are specificaly feminine and therefore sexist but : 1: sometimes they can be endorsed by males like kings, sorcers or prophets and even if they are somewhat rare some heroïne and weapon-bearing woman can be found in most of cultures. 2: denying the structures of myths themselves by saying their are inherently incorrent or morally wrong is denying the entire base of writing and fantasy, most mythical heroes are mass-murderer those this prevent use to appreciate the beauty of their adventure and the eternal light of their virtue ?)

P.S : really sorry for my bad grammar and the fact that i over-reacted to talking but "tropes" as english-speakers call them is not something banal it's the whole history of litterature and imagination therefore this something that cannot be taked lightly in my humble opinnions ; i will not criticize you for saying that the use of a certain "trope" is bad but i will if you critize the "trope" itself without very good arguments (and general feeling isn't an argument)(especially since it's a "long-running" "trope").

Edited by Izhuark

Not surprised to see Midna winning this poll... I always found her overrated, which I guess is another unpopular opinion. I like that she has a real story and got some personality, but I also found her to be annoying at times.

Ezlo is best partner/supporting character. He has a nice story, a good personality, and he's NOT annoying. He's hilarious. XD

Edited by Anacybele

Picked Sheik because she's the only one who's playable in Smash Bros., and also happens to be pretty much the best.

1. Ocarina of Time is the worst 3D Zelda. Literally boring. Meanwhile, Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker improve on everything from OoT and turn out to be the best games in the series. Literally no Zelda games can top them.

2. Oracle of Ages/Seasons are the best handheld Zelda games.

3. Pokemon X/Y were great. Meanwhile, OR/AS we're not very great due to obviously being rushed. At least it has the best competitive play due to move tutors returning.

4. Gen II and Johto are the worst in the series.

5. The Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario series have the best Mario games in the franchise (not including Sticker Star ofc).

6. Super Mario Sunshine is way better than both Galaxy games.

7. Sonic should be strictly handheld.

8. Touhou games need to be played and appreciated more.

9. Justice for All is the best Ace Attorney game. Farewell, My Turnabout is the best case in the series.

10. The Nintendo Gamecube is the best console.

EDIT: F-Forgot my FE

11. FE8 is the best game in the series.

12. FE6 and FE11 are great games.

13. FE13 gets much more flak than it deserves. I care more about the solid gameplay than the questionable story and characters.

Edited by ZM.

I will never be able to take anyone who uses "casual" in a derogatory manner and without a lick of irony seriously ever again.

I hate the Female Link Debate and it never ends in a productive manner. I think people need to simply stop talking about it, because Nintendo is very likely to never go there. Zelda will become playable as a protagonist in a game before Link grows a vagina.

once i called music casual and people thought i was trying to be insulting

zelda was already a playable protag in 2 zelda games before, but um....