AlphaTemp's attempted splices

AlphaTempe

Emphasis on 'attempted'. I highly doubt I'll have anything great, but feedback would be great! I'm hoping to improve by learning from your comments, so please critique away! I'll be posting more as I create more.

0Sx3Hbl.png

Fixed

SfDGTYm.png

Edited by AlphaTempe

All I can think of is, dat beard. Also I like both of their palettes.

I'm not very good at technical critique, but some of the places where you... customed the skin I guess, look off. Mainly in the second guys chest and the neck of the first guy.

Thanks! And Yep! The second one is a archer, I used Will(Fe7) as a rough baseline, and went from there.

Thanks! We need more beards Yeah, now that I look at it closer, I agree, the skin is a bit off. Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by AlphaTempe

you should shade where the headband meets the forehead. and generally where the hair meets the face. It's a bit rough around there.

but aside from that, two very solid first attempts!

• 1 month later...

That's a nice start, but you should work more on the armor so we can see it's clearly one.

The plastron is too tight and makes the eye think it's only a big golden thing that bounds a cape. You'll want to make the plastron bigger imo, and the shoulers more... solid, and not look like spheres.

• 1 month later...

As said, alot of solid efforts here. Everything posted so far looks clean and works well. Nice splices, nice designs. Very good "attempts," would love to see more of your works! :D

Of the three mugs my favorite would probably be the first. The other two are good, but the details of the armor, good use of the beard, and general synchronization of the design just put the first portrait a step above the rest. ;)

The second sprite is decent but feels like it needs something to complete the design... Maybe some form of necklace or other accessory? Colors are pretty good. I would recommend a bit more brightness and contrast though as they are a little dark and blending a bit more than they should to my eyes. :o

Like others have mentioned as well, the shading of the neck and chest are a little awkward, along with near the headband. I would reference similar mugs to see how they shaded those particular areas. His headband also just kinda... Disappears into his hair. ;)

The third sprite isn't bad... Like mentioned the armor and cloth don't come across as very different... Is the armor supposed to be metal though? It would work if it was leather or something else potentially. The trim on the armornas well could be potentially thinned and decorated more like the headpiece as well if you wanted to tie it together better.

All in all, some very well made "attempts"... Keep it up, would love to see more! :D

• 4 months later...

A bit late, but thank you for the input everyone! School has kept me busy, but I should have some free time in the next few months, so expect a few more attempts from me.

I should have clarified, but the third one is meant to be a leather/cloth hybrid, more the lighter type of armor you'd expect on archers and thieves in game. But yeah, in hindsight the trim does need a bit of work. Thanks for pointing it out guys!

Once I get some of them passable, I plan to try to make a short hack with them.

I just made one recently to ease myself back into things, its not the best, but...This isn't exactly the 'best of' showcase anyways

000eWM5.png

Edited by AlphaTempe

• 7 months later...

Late to the party to say you're on a good start, but I'll say it anyway.

These splices are pretty clean and nice for a beginner, though I must say that the the guy with Gilliam's hair doesn't have a very contrast-friendly palette, you should make the last two shades a tad bit darker to compliment the skin tone, also the far part of the chestplate needs a bit more shading, since the golden ornaments are shaded that way, as for the Kent-faced guy, you should give his orange armpad thicker shading, since you're developing pretty fast, I guess you could start experimenting with making custom palettes, one nice way to do that is to recolor battle sprites, that's how I learned anyway.

Again, nice job, I'm interested in seeing you get better. :o

Thank you for the feedback, I'll definitely give those a go!

I'm still hoping to eventually learn how to finish them perfectly, splicing is a fun thing to learn, especially after playing the GBA fire emblem games hundreds of times as a kid.