Best and worst fe7 mage

Liam_001

Best and worst fe7 mage  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Worst fe7 mage

2. 2. Best fe7 mage

Look if Erk actually ORKOd maybe people would like him more

clearly the difference made it so that Erk missed a bunch more ORKOs than Lucius

Fair enough. Then again, my original intent was to call Tamanoir out on singing the praises of Nino, but I got carried away. I mean, hey, it's hard for me to care if Nino can overkill an enemy if Erk can kill just fine, and what's more, she needs boatloads of effort to get there in a short time, with her first actual chapter being irritating as fuck... No thanks.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

I can see the logic of Nino contributing exp rank giving her a niche making her more favorable to some, although I, personally, would not place her over Erk either, since Erk can still contribute positively to the team for much longer than Nino even exists. But I guess it's just the thing where Erk mostly does nothing really special and anything he can do, someone else does better. By himself he does function okay and if you like him as a character he can still hold his own, just he's kinda outclassed in anything he tries to do (losing damage and staff rank to Lucius and Pent, other native healers can heal right off the bat which is better utility, Canas has Luna access which given how broken it is is at least worth something, even though I like to just leave it for Athos to dragonbomb).

Renault would be a lot better as high-rank drop-in staffer if Pent didn't exist since and he joined earlier than the middle of the chapter right before you get Athos (the gaiden doesn't count because you get like 3 units anyway and there's magic seal). If he was more like Yodel (less competition, free S rank staff and comes with it, FE7 doesn't even have S rank staff--Niime can warp better but she's not likely to get S staves too to use Holy Maiden, and Yodel can Holy Maiden so she doesn't have to waste time not warping) he'd be a lot more useful but when he's sandwiched between Pent and Athos who are just better and for free, and closer to Athos in join time too, well

It's like, why use Renault when base Pent can do it better by 3 spaces and joins way earlier; then Athos comes in with his 15 range and fucks everything up

Fair enough. Then again, my original intent was to call Tamanoir out on singing the praises of Nino, but I got carried away. I mean, hey, it's hard for me to care if Nino can overkill an enemy if Erk can kill just fine, and what's more, she needs boatloads of effort to get there in a short time, with her first actual chapter being irritating as fuck... No thanks.

That I can agree with.

I have a bias towards Nino (and against Erk), so I was too positive, and didn't find the opportunity to nuance my first post (I put too much importance in uniqueness.)

I wanted to post about it in my reply to your first post, but it seemed irrelevant at the point.

The 3 worst mages are Erk, Renault and Nino. (Serra is your first healer, Canas have Dark Magic, Priscilla have a pony, and Lucius, Pent, and Athos have already been discussed enough.)

Renault would be at the botom, I think (Staff A Rank is worth nothing with his join time and Mag.). (He's one of the most interresting character sory wise, but one of the worst gameplay wise.)

Who is worse between Nino and Erk isn't as clear cut, because, in many ways, they are complete opposite. Erk contribute the longest time (Serra is staff locked before promotion), but is outclassed by anyone not named Renault. Nino have a small niche, but even if I trained hr to max Level nearly each playthrough (And I've played this game countless time...), I can say it's not really worth it.

(Though, to be honnestn 9 times out of 10, Erk would rank higher.)

( Actually, it's because I trained her so many time that I can says it.

It's not that hard, but tanking for 200+ turns is anything but fun. I'd say trying it once.)

I can see the logic of Nino contributing exp rank giving her a niche making her more favorable to some, although I, personally, would not place her over Erk either, since Erk can still contribute positively to the team for much longer than Nino even exists. But I guess it's just the thing where Erk mostly does nothing really special and anything he can do, someone else does better. By himself he does function okay and if you like him as a character he can still hold his own, just he's kinda outclassed in anything he tries to do (losing damage and staff rank to Lucius and Pent, other native healers can heal right off the bat which is better utility, Canas has Luna access which given how broken it is is at least worth something, even though I like to just leave it for Athos to dragonbomb).

Renault would be a lot better as high-rank drop-in staffer if Pent didn't exist since and he joined earlier than the middle of the chapter right before you get Athos (the gaiden doesn't count because you get like 3 units anyway and there's magic seal). If he was more like Yodel (less competition, free S rank staff and comes with it, FE7 doesn't even have S rank staff--Niime can warp better but she's not likely to get S staves too to use Holy Maiden, and Yodel can Holy Maiden so she doesn't have to waste time not warping) he'd be a lot more useful but when he's sandwiched between Pent and Athos who are just better and for free, and closer to Athos in join time too, well

It's like, why use Renault when base Pent can do it better by 3 spaces and joins way earlier; then Athos comes in with his 15 range and fucks everything up

I suppose I could agree - Erk may not stand out, but that doesn't make him the worst by any means. And I also agree on Renault, which makes the fact that no one aside from myself mentioned him in the "unnecessary units" thread surprising - there's literally no reason to field him unless you really wanted to see his supports.