Ana Plays Through SoulSilver

Anacybele

Haha, I must admit, I kind of wanted to replay my gen 4 games anyway, including this one. I haven't visited Sinnoh in forever and I love Sinnoh. Johto and Kanto aren't Sinnoh, but HGSS were still enjoyable enough. The Pokeathlon was a pretty neat idea too. The only problem I had with it was how much it hurt my hands to play those games for more than a little while.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've reached Victory Road! (I took a break after awhile yesterday) But gonna stop for now because I'll be going out in a bit. :P

Meganium lv. 42

Houndoom lv. 41

Mamoswine lv. 40

Cherry (Red Gyarados) lv. 40

Pidgeot lv. 41

Ampharos lv. 40

I've reached the Pokemon League! Finally had some more time to play after being busy yesterday. lol Now I have to fine tune my team. They have too many useless HM moves and such. So far, I've given Houndoom Dark Pulse. It has better sp. attack than attack, so it doesn't do a lot of damage with Bite or Faint Attack.

I'm considering giving Mamoswine Rock Tomb, but I don't know how well that would work if I put it against Lance's Charizard. Charizard would probably outspeed it and strike it with a strong Fire type move first... So, Rock Tomb or no Rock Tomb? I don't want to waste the TM since TMs are one use only in gens 4 and previous.

I want Ampharos to learn Signal Beam too. I think it only needs one or two more levels for that...*checks* Yeah, it learns that at lv. 42. If only it could learn Power Gem that soon too...

Anyway, Cherry needs something better than Surf and Whirlpool... Surf is good, but Gyarados is a physical attacker. It already has Ice Fang. Whirlpool is crap. xP

I should also get Meganium to lv. 46 so it can learn Body Slam. It's stronger than Cut. I think it can paralyze the target too.

Oh yeah, going to the Game Corner to win coins for a Flamethrower TM would be handy for Houndoom, methinks.

What recommendations would you guys have? These are my team's current moves.

Meganium: Razor Leaf, Cut, Synthesis, Petal Dance

Houndoom: Dark Pulse, Faint Attack, Ember, Fire Fang

Mamoswine: Earthquake, Avalanche, Rock Smash, Strength

Cherry (Red Gyarados): Waterfall, Ice Fang, Whirlpool, Surf

Pidgeot: Fly, Pluck, Quick Attack, Feather Dance.

Ampharos: Discharge, Thunderpunch (this is what I want to replace with Signal Beam), Flash, Thunder Wave (wanted to keep this handy for catching legendaries like Lugia)

- First off, yes, Body Slam would be far better than having Cut on Meganium. I've always liked having dual screens on them as well, or at least Light Screen.

- I'd get the Focus Blast TM from Golden Rod Department Store and teach it to Ampharos in place of Flash. Gives it better coverage.

- Houndoom learns Flamethrower at level 48, so you don't need to get the TM for it. Just grind it up a bit.

- For Gyarados, I'd personally try to go for Dragon Dance/Waterfall/Ice Fang/ and the last slot can be good for Earthquake if you have that TM, or just any other move.

- For Pidgeot, I'd try and get the Return TM and replace Pluck with it. Other moves worth considering are U-Turn or Roost.

These are just some thoughts off the top of my head, since you're asking for suggestions.

Edited by Shuuda

I figured Body Slam was a good idea.

Actually, I think I have a Focus Blast TM. That's a good idea. :D

Oh, Houndoom can learn Flamethrower via level up? That's cool then!

But my Mamoswine knows Earthquake, wouldn't another Earthquake user be redundant?

But I like Pluck because it has decent power and can stop foes from eating berries. Roost sounds good though, I'll replace Feather Dance with that.

The only physical Rock move Gyarados can learn is Stone Edge, which I can't get until after the league because it's only at the Battle Frontier.

But my Mamoswine knows Earthquake, wouldn't another Earthquake user be redundant?

That's a fair point, but Earthquake is a powerful attack, and it'd be a good way to take advantage of an offence Gyarados. Having three water attacks is pretty wasteful, and I'd definitely try to replace Whirlpool with something.

Edited by Shuuda

Yeah, I got rid of Whirlpool already (since the move deleter is the only way to do so). Going to let Gyarados learn Dragon Dance in place of it.

I'm finally ready for the E4 and Lance! Good thing Houndoom gets extra exp from having been traded. Getting it to lv. 48 at this point would've been so slow otherwise. xP But anyway, I also gave my Pokemon some of the items I had in my bag and bought Full Restores and Max Potions.

Time to earn the championship!

I have only two regular 3DSs and I tried the start/select thing a long time ago. It never worked. :/

Sorry for bringing this up so late in your playthrough, but you have to select Open while holding down the Start and Select buttons at the same time. It's a bit tricky at first, but it works.

Anyways, good luck on the E4!

Oh! That part I had no idea about. xP Thanks!

And I did have some crazy luck so far, actually. Ampharos is just paralyzing everything it hits with Discharge and Cherry's Waterfall kept making Bruno's Machamp flinch which is what saved me after it slammed Pidgeot with Rock Slide (I don't have any other Pokemon that can resist or trump Fighting types). It's so stupid that that move hits even Fly users and can be learned by Fighting type Pokemon. >_> Flying type Pokemon might as well not have a type advantage vs Fighting types, they can counter them so well.

Oh yeah, I had to stop for dinner too. Pizza got here. :P

Karen is next, though!

Edited by Anacybele

Aaand, I defeated Lance! I think he would've KO'd me first though, if I hadn't gotten lucky once again and Cherry finished off Aerodactyl after somehow surviving a Thunder Fang hit and getting paralyzed at the same time. The only other Pokemon I had left was Houndoom.

A win's a win though, I guess. And Mamoswine is indeed a great counter to those Dragonite, it managed to take them all out in one blow each with Avalanche! The lv. 50 one didn't even hit it because its attack missed...haha.

I'll start exploring Kanto tomorrow!

Edited by Anacybele

I've reached the Pokemon League! Finally had some more time to play after being busy yesterday. lol Now I have to fine tune my team. They have too many useless HM moves and such. So far, I've given Houndoom Dark Pulse. It has better sp. attack than attack, so it doesn't do a lot of damage with Bite or Faint Attack.

I'm considering giving Mamoswine Rock Tomb, but I don't know how well that would work if I put it against Lance's Charizard. Charizard would probably outspeed it and strike it with a strong Fire type move first... So, Rock Tomb or no Rock Tomb? I don't want to waste the TM since TMs are one use only in gens 4 and previous.

I want Ampharos to learn Signal Beam too. I think it only needs one or two more levels for that...*checks* Yeah, it learns that at lv. 42. If only it could learn Power Gem that soon too...

Anyway, Cherry needs something better than Surf and Whirlpool... Surf is good, but Gyarados is a physical attacker. It already has Ice Fang. Whirlpool is crap. xP

I should also get Meganium to lv. 46 so it can learn Body Slam. It's stronger than Cut. I think it can paralyze the target too.

Oh yeah, going to the Game Corner to win coins for a Flamethrower TM would be handy for Houndoom, methinks.

What recommendations would you guys have? These are my team's current moves.

Meganium: Razor Leaf, Cut, Synthesis, Petal Dance

Houndoom: Dark Pulse, Faint Attack, Ember, Fire Fang

Mamoswine: Earthquake, Avalanche, Rock Smash, Strength

Cherry (Red Gyarados): Waterfall, Ice Fang, Whirlpool, Surf

Pidgeot: Fly, Pluck, Quick Attack, Feather Dance.

Ampharos: Discharge, Thunderpunch (this is what I want to replace with Signal Beam), Flash, Thunder Wave (wanted to keep this handy for catching legendaries like Lugia)

Meganium

-Giga Drain

-Reflect

-Light Screen

-Earthquake

This...but Body Slam will have to do for it's only way of dealing with Flying types.

Houndoom

-Thunder Fang/Hidden Power(Rock/Grass)

-Roar/Taunt

-Fire Blast/Overheat

-Nasty Plot/Will-O-Wisp/Thief

Out of this...

Thunder Fang needed to deal with Water types. It's needs about 180 Attk EV to get good enough attack for it though. Hidden Power Rock for to deal with it's own kind. Grass for Water types. Roar to blow away stat boosts. Fire Blast would be a better choice for it's higher base power. Overheat isn't too bad either thanking Nasty Plot. But...Will-O-Wisp would be the best choice to deal with Rock and EQ attackers which both of them usually are physical attackers with Burn to keep him in the match awhile longer. Taunt would be good too to do it's same job for Roar. Thief would be a good for competitve play to take one of their held items with it's 95 base speed being not too bad for it!

Mamoswine

-Hail(If have Snow Cloak ability)

-Ice Shard/Ice Fang

-Earthquake

-Superpower

Honestly...this is the only good set I can find for him since nothing else gives better coverage than this. But...Superpower is taught from a tutor probably from the Battle Frontier. I swear...this game is too demanding for the better stuff. -.-

So, better give him Return as Earthquake is enough to deal with Steel types and he can learn this by level up! Lv40. Ice Fang for his 130 base Attk and S.T.A.B. Duh! Ice Shard would be a better choice for it's need to deal with Fly types which are much faster than it! But...it's a pre-evolution only move which is too late for that.

Gyarados

-Ice Fang

-Dragon Dance

-Roar/Taunt/Earthquake/Outrage

-Waterfall

Well...

Roar/Taunt are good choices, but it's 81 base speed might be a problem to use it fast enough on birds that carry Swagger/Taunt of itself. Outrage would be good...but it's BF only. -.- So since you plan to use Earthquake on something else...Roar or Taunt will have to do.

Pidgeot

-Whirlwind

-Quick Attack/Return

-U-Turn

-Brave Bird/Aerial Ace/Wing Attack

*Sigh*

it's no wonder Ash abandoned his Pidgeot in the anime right after Pigeotto evolved as he was always outstaged by Fearow and Skarmory along with it's poorer coverage. This is the only thing good you can possibly ever find for it! Whirlwind to stop boosts and to force them to step on entry hazards if you've already had your other pokes lay them out! :D

Quick Attack for to finish battered up Pokemons off. It's S.T.A.B for this outta be enough. I would consider this better than return as it's base speed is only 91. U-Turn to keep it out of danger. Too late for brave Bird as it is a breeding only move, so Aerial Ace/Wing Attack will have to do because Fly sucks. I don't suggest Roost, because it's Defense sucks too much to make it good of any use. -.-

Ampharos

-Thunder Wave

-Focus Blast

-Thunderbolt/Thunder

-Power Gem/Signal Beam/Rain Dance

My favorite discussion. Okay...:D you'll want to give him Thunder Wave for it's bad 55 base Speed. Focus Blast to deal with a type for Steel/Rock that Thunder types usually lack coverage of. Thunderbolt is best...but you don't get this till near the end of the game at Cerulean Cave because getting 10000 coins is too tedious in this game since most people would just buy the coins to get the TM as we hate playing mini games for it! Thunder will have to do, but then you'll need Rain Dance to make it any good! -.-

Which is bad for lack of coverage that it needs to combat Grass, Ice, Fire, Psychic that Power Gem/Signal Beam can do. Better give him Thunder till you get the TM at Cerulean Cave THEN give it Signal Beam/Power Gem for it's fourth move for better coverage! ^_^

That's a fair point, but Earthquake is a powerful attack, and it'd be a good way to take advantage of an offence Gyarados. Having three water attacks is pretty wasteful, and I'd definitely try to replace Whirlpool with something.

With Ice Fang, or Outrage!

Yeah, I got rid of Whirlpool already (since the move deleter is the only way to do so). Going to let Gyarados learn Dragon Dance in place of it.

Only bother is that at post game(Kanto), you'll need HM slaves to get through the dungeons.

-----

Good luck with the post game...mainly Sabrina and Red.

Edited by Princess_Florina

Thanks, but I actually have a physical Meganium... So I have mainly physical attacks on it. xP

And yeah, Ampharos's speed isn't so hot, so I gave it a Quick Claw. Though it ended up paralyzing like everything I sent it against. lol

Actually, my Mamoswine does have Snow Cloak. Should come in handy vs Red since there's always hail in that match. And speaking of which, yeah, I always dread Red. I did beat him in HG, but that was after a looong worrisome battle.

Argh, I unexpectedly had to come home from work late today, so I'm going to save Kanto for tomorrow... xP I just like it being day time when I go to new places in a Pokemon game.

I got to Vermillion City and explored. Eusine, of course Suicune prefers water, it's a Water type. :P The Vermillion gym is next! I'm glad you can go through this city quickly, I never liked this version of its theme. It's just...boring.

Ugh, I can't believe he almost beat me... But that's kind of my fault for not expecting an Electabuzz with Low Kick. Mamoswine didn't stand a chance against that. Otherwise though, it KO'd Surge's Pokemon without any problems. Earthquake is good.

Saffron City is next!

Sabrina was easier to defeat than Lt. Surge was, that's for sure. Even though she was higher leveled than him. But she had no moves that were very effective against my Houndoom, so it crushed her. lol

Sabrina was easier to defeat than Lt. Surge was, that's for sure. Even though she was higher leveled than him. But she had no moves that were very effective against my Houndoom, so it crushed her. lol

Hee hee...

The developers had to do something to rid of the brokeness that Psychics had in the first gen. Just like Fairy now laughs at the while dominant dragons types faces.

Yeah, they sure did, and it's gotta be one reason the Dark type was created. Heh heh.

I explored Route 9 after visiting the Power Plant yesterday and forgot to mention when I quit for the day. Now onto Cerulean City to look for that suspicious dude. :P

I beat Misty, fixed the Power Plant problem, returned Copycat's lost Poke Doll, and went to Celdaon City! I've been excited to go there, because I think Celadon City has the best music in this game! It sounds like carousel music at the amusement park. ^^

Exploring some before I take on Erika. Stupid that I have to get another Pokemon with Cut in order to get to the gym though. Ugh. >_>

I've defeated Erika, and I made my way to Fuschia City via the Cycling Road. I defeated Janine too. That's three badges in one day. ^^ I think I'll stop here for now though.

I explored routes 14 and 15. And then I caught Suicune! WOOHOO, it's one of my favorites! <3 And I only had to throw a few Pokeballs. ^^ Thanks for not being annoying to catch, Suicune!

I've gone through Diglett's Cave and reached Pewter City! I went to the museum, which is pretty neat, and got the Rainbow Wing. I'll go after Ho-Oh later though, as it's level 70, so it would be really hard to lower its HP enough to have a chance at catching it at this point.

Time to battle Brock for another badge!

Edited by Anacybele

Brock was a cakewalk lol. All his Pokemon had a double weakness to either Water or Grass and I have both, so I just swept him with Meganium and Cherry. XD

I've gone through Viridian City and Viridian Forest and reached Pallet Town. I'm saving here and quitting for today. Oh, I haven't been showing my team levels lately, have I? xP They're lv. 53-54 now.