• Persona 4 Arena
    • Tekken 7
    • Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
    • Ultra Street Fighter IV
    • Nothing :(
    • I'll BE at EVO!

I really don't like how Smash 4 is dumbed down to, "Up-Tilt, the Video Game."

But great. Frickin' great, now it's, "Abuse Customs."

Looks like Villager really was a mass murderer from the start...

Like I said, don't think like that. Custom Villager is the only one that represents that problem. Everyone else with customs has made the matches a lot more interesting and diverse then just up-tilt the game. Smash 4 pools was great this year at evo.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, don't think like that. Custom Villager is the only one that represents that problem. Everyone else with customs has made the matches a lot more interesting and diverse then just up-tilt the game. Smash 4 pools was great this year at evo.

*claps hands together respectively*

Ooh! Ooh!

Like Donkey Kong!

That swift Up-B. *drools*

*claps hands together respectively*

Ooh! Ooh!

Like Donkey Kong!

That swift Up-B. *drools*

There were literally only 2 DK up+bs in the entire pools. Look if these customs were so good, then they would have been in top 32 except they weren't.

Edited by kingddd

There were literally only 2 DK up+bs in the entire pools. Look if these customs were so good, then they would have been in top 32 except they weren't.

No, no, I was going a bit off topic. I just meant I've seen DK's custom Up-B used in a way for spacing, which makes him much more viable to get out of combos and such. The fact it has the wind-knockback effect only adds to this.

But, yeah, even with customs, I don't think we'll be seeing any Green Ranger's winning any tourney's soon.

just ban custom villager and we're good.

Why even go that far? I only saw top 8, but there were no Villagers there, so clearly it isn't strong enough to really be winning. Now that people know about it, most players seem able to figure it out.

The only "problem" custom set in top 8 was Pikachu, and Esam got 7th. I'd really like to hear people's complaints about Smash 4 customs now.

Smash got fighting sticks but Persona didn't? what

Well, a Swedish player did win EVO! It just wasn't Leffen. Props to Armada; his Fox was on point during top 8. It was nice to see Hungrybox get to second, even if Mango essentially gave him the last game. I'd be happy with that

Samus is the secret GOAT of Melee. Poor Leffen

Smash got fighting sticks but Persona didn't? what

Well, a Swedish player did win EVO! It just wasn't Leffen. Props to Armada; his Fox was on point during top 8. It was nice to see Hungrybox get to second, even if Mango essentially gave him the last game. I'd be happy with that

Samus is the secret GOAT of Melee. Poor Leffen

Leffen's salt was delicious.

Leffen's salt was delicious.

on twitter, leffen is like the least salty I've seen him after a loss ever

for the record the Bo3 vs Bo5 tweet was tweeted after hbox eliminated mango, not after plup beat leffen

e: honestly I'm very happy to see leffen's growth in his healthier mindset...and if we look at the previous 3 tournies before evo it's clearly paying off

Edited by Euklyd

Wow, both SSB tournaments went well! I'm happy to see ZeRo has finally made the jump from being hated for his "cheap" skill to being admired for his mastery.

As far as custom moves in SSB4 go, it seems to me like the debate basically boils down to folks not wanting to ban things plus wanting a little wider pool of viable characters vs. concerns over slight jank and tourney prep convenience. I lean toward the pro-custom side, since it seems like such a shame to waste >100 special moves just for convenience. Western tourneys have always tried to be conservative in what they cut (hence why we used items so absurdly long in Melee, and why we generally use more stages than Japan), and I think we should continue that trend in SSB4.

Evo proved to my satisfaction that there aren't any absurdly broken custom moves. Stallager was definitely a little lame, but the strategy didn't get anyone to the top 16, and with proper preparation (which you can bet every pro player will focus on now) I think it can be shut down pretty efficiently. Kong Cyclone didn't end up causing much of a stir, and Heavy Skull Bash likewise did not sway any major matches. There's still a chance we have some broken customs lurking in the roster, but the same goes for standard specials, so I say we keep the custom train rolling for now. The strategy involved in choosing customs to fit matchups may actually give SSB4 some staying power, rather than it ending up as yet another bump in Melee's road to eternal life.