Character viability impressions (gameplay spoilers)

XeKr

I'll actually try to Girl-only Hoshido Lunatic. (yes, that means no Ryouma, no Takumi, but I'll allow myself MaMU -for Felicia- and Kaze -because I don't want him to die TT-)

The buddies will prolly be :

- RinkahxOboro (4 seals for Rinkah, and... Lancebreaker for Oboro? Not awesome for Oboro, but as Rinkah will be one of the few tanks I'll have, I need this)

- SetsunaxHana (Hana will love the skills Bowman gives, and Setsuna could use Line of Death, I guess)

- SakuraxHinoka (Azura is doomed to be ForeverDancer, and Sakura could use Sun God, while Hinoka could take advantage of Renewal)

- OrochixKagerou (Lethality + Flamboyant seems like a really nice combo, and Kagerou could use the Basara skills)

- Azura, Mozume, and Felicia are gonna be left alone. Sad.

Do you think it's doable?

If it is, I'll maybe risk Nohr Lunatic male only.

That is once I'll be able to get the game. =(

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll actually try to Girl-only Hoshido Lunatic. (yes, that means no Ryouma, no Takumi, but I'll allow myself MaMU -for Felicia- and Kaze -because I don't want him to die TT-)

- RinkahxOboro (4 seals for Rinkah, and... Lancebreaker for Oboro? Not awesome for Oboro, but as Rinkah will be one of the few tanks I'll have, I need this)

- SetsunaxHana (Hana will love the skills Bowman gives, and Setsuna could use Line of Death, I guess)

- SakuraxHinoka (Azura is doomed to be ForeverDancer, and Sakura could use Sun God, while Hinoka could take advantage of Renewal)

- OrochixKagerou (Lethality + Flamboyant seems like a really nice combo, and Kagerou could use the Basara skills)

Buddies are one way so you don't have to force all of these to be mutual. especially with SakuraxHinoka, Sakura gets nothing since she already has Pegasus as her Secondary. same for Kagerou; she already has Spellcaster as her Secondary so she gets nothing from Orochi

Edited by GoXDS

Hoshido allows grinding so most trying are doable.

There are slots for Crimson, Yuugiri and children: since you will use MaMu and Kaze, you can easily get Kanna(F) and Midoriko.

Buddies are one way so you don't have to force all of these to be mutual. especially with SakuraxHinoka, Sakura gets nothing since she already has Pegasus as her Secondary. same for Kagerou; she already has Spellcaster as her Secondary so she gets nothing from Orochi

Ah, okay.

Does that mean for example, Mozume can buddy Oboro and Rinkah too?

Ah, okay.

If you mean both Mozume and Rinka can buddy on to Oboro then yes

if you mean Mozume can buddy Oboro and Rinka at the same time then no; you only get 1 A+ per character and Mozume x Rinka isn't a thing anyway

Ah, okay.

It works one way, so if Oboro buddies Rinkah and got Oni for Ogre Strike, Rinkah can either buddy Oboro in return for Lance Fighter OR she can buddy Orochi for Spellcaster.

E: Also, who is probably the best bride for a Hoshido Lunatic +Str -Lck Puppeteer Corrin? (specific I know)

Edited by JothTheConqueror

Okay then, so that means buddying is way easier than I thought.

CHANGES :

Buddies :

- MozumexOboro (only option, and Basara's quite good for the proc skills Mozume gets)

- FeliciaxHana (only option, and maybe that Felicia and use Astra)

- AzuraxSakura (only real option, as she already gets PK)

- RinkahxOboro (best tanky option)

- SakuraxAzura (as Azura will buddy Sakura, this will be an easy support)

- HanaxSetsuna (only real option again)

- OrochixRinkah (Res Seal and Counter for a squishy character makes her easily securing kills)

- SetsunaxHinoka (Swallow Strike with Setsuna's high speed is awesome)

- OboroxRinkah (Her options don't look that appealing imo, GK warrior isn't great due to her not having a bow rank, she's basically not gonna end up as a magic user, and Rinkah seems to be the less worse out of all)

- KagerouxOrochi (Flamboyant with Lethality could be funny to try imo)

- KannaxMidoriko (gonna buddy each other)

Now I need to find a mother for Kanna and Midoriko, and a class set for MU.

eh, Breaking Sky is much less useful on a Magic user since enemies are mostly Physical and thus low Mag stat and thus low Breaking Sky boost. Orochi's Spd is still a huge liability gotta deal with that somehow

Definitely true about Breaking Sky, but it means Orochi can make a better Basara than it first appears, since she can Breaking Sky some decent damage onto spears against enemies you don't want to use magic against.

As for her SPD, like I said, just go ahead and use weapons that penalize her SPD anyway; she'll barely notice the difference, but you can get some impressive damage out of said weapons. Orochi's all about the one, single, most powerful hit possible, so if you give her Izana's Ancient-spell or Odin's Black-tome (or, if Basara-ing, the Spear, Effie's Big-lance, or the Desperate Naginata,) then load her up with skills in the vein of Breaking Sky, Flamboyance, Line of Death (buddy Rinkah,) and/or Extravagance, she will freaking destroy whatever she touches. Normally this would come at the penalty of reducing your durability to that of a fruit fly, but Orochi was already there, so what difference does it make? She's basically taking no penalty and getting huge damage increases in return.

Mind you, I'm not saying this makes Orochi "teh bezt chrctr evar" or anything. Just that if you ARE going to use her, you might as well take advantage of what she's got, which is "the ability to ignore SPD and defenses because she won't have them anyway no matter what you do, so just maximize that nuking capability and have fun with it."

I mean, Orochi can have 33 MAG as a Basara. Add +10 Might for Izana's Ancient-Spell, +10 damage from Line of Death, and +10 damage from Extravagance and you've got a 63 base damage hit without crits, supports, procs, or buffs. That's not too shabby. Or you can give her Odin's Black-tome and Ogre Strike for 40% base chance of crits with increased damage, then add on Flamboyant if needed to counter the tome's lower HIT (though SKL is one of Orochi's actual strengths and therefore it might not be an issue). Add Line of Death or Extravagance to the crits off that and Orochi shouldn't need to double, I wouldn't think.

CHANGES :

Buddies :

- MozumexOboro (only option, and Basara's quite good for the proc skills Mozume gets)

- OrochixRinkah (Res Seal and Counter for a squishy character makes her easily securing kills)

- OboroxRinkah (Her options don't look that appealing imo, GK warrior isn't great due to her not having a bow rank, she's basically not gonna end up as a magic user, and Rinkah seems to be the less worse out of all)

Also to note about buddying. If the person that is being buddied with has the same class, they take the secondary class. If they have the same classes then they take a hidden tertiary class. People will probably have to find silly combos to find the hidden classes. All I know from reading is the garou guy passes down outlaw to Arthur/Charlotte when buddy/marriage sealed. From what I've heard...

That means Hana gets PK from Sakura (could be good, Swallow Strike is awesome on a character who will forever double, and is better than bowman because +1 damage), Azura lance fighter from Hinoka (better than Sakura's skills, because Magic Counter is useless on a character with awesome res), Rinkah spellcaster from Kagerou (same as Orochi, so... yay?), Sakura that third class from Azura, or Lance fighter. I'd rather bet on Azura's third class, because Lance Fighter doesn't bring anything to her imo. (Basara's skills don't seem that good on a support unit, but her strength growth seems good so... Maybe.)

Hinoka gets Azura's mysterious third class, Setsuna gets Spellcaster (Basara, huh? She could try FlamboyantxLethality), and that's all.

That means Hana gets PK from Sakura (could be good, Swallow Strike is awesome on a character who will forever double, and is better than bowman because +1 damage), Azura lance fighter from Hinoka (better than Sakura's skills, because Magic Counter is useless on a character with awesome res), Rinkah spellcaster from Kagerou (same as Orochi, so... yay?), Sakura that third class from Azura, or Lance fighter. I'd rather bet on Azura's third class, because Lance Fighter doesn't bring anything to her imo. (Basara's skills don't seem that good on a support unit, but her strength growth seems good so... Maybe.)

Hinoka gets Azura's mysterious third class, Setsuna gets Spellcaster (Basara, huh? She could try FlamboyantxLethality), and that's all.

Hana would get Priestess from Sakura,Rinkah would get Ninja and Sakura would get Pegasus Warrior. You only get a character's secondary class if they have the same primary class, or in special cases (such as Garou and Singer) if the special character's secondary matches the primary of another.

Also Azura's hidden class idis Rod Knight.

"The same class" means the same primary class, not the same current class.

Edited by Tooru

Re: Pair ups and guard stancing: Whoever is fighting enemy phase probably wants to be in Guard Stance, since negating attack stance (which the enemy is typically well-placed for and aggros in a pattern plus specifically moves for) and having Dual Guard after 5 attacks (misses and enemy strikes count) mitigates so much damage. I think it’s slightly stronger to have a single Guard Stance pair on each front and everyone else for attack stance to clean up stuff player phase. Having people unpaired is also a lot more flexible mobility wise, and still gives the option to Pair if some str/mag/spd situationally pushes a unit over a benchmark for a certain enemy.

Generally a single pair can’t reliably oneround everything (except Corrin sometimes, Ryoma midgame, and Xander with all the Spd boosts midgame), so more combat units can help. There were definitely some cases where I felt pairing up every unit simply didn’t give enough offense to kill enemies in time. Especially relevant for giving a bow/beastkiller/hammer user more effective attacks, for example. Also there were cases where I transferred around units to barely have enough stats to kill a certain enemy (units in Guard Stance, with their boosted stats, can still participate as the support unit in Attack stance, if the main unit is unpaired. What a mouthful). Aura/adjacent skills don't work in the back of guard stance either. Using both stances is easier and more efficient, even if more complex to think through.

Because the Pair Up bonuses don’t scale with stats anymore, anyone can be a good support unit there. Harold is nice for Effie since he helps trigger her personal and with the pairup Str boost on top, allows ohkos sometimes. Though I like Silas sometimes for her since he gives defense and mobility and some Str. Charlotte gives great offensive bonuses and heroes give Spd/Def which are probably the most important stats. So yeah they’re all good to have there.

Sure if conservative and turtling it’s fine to Guard stance all the time, but you do lose a lot of damage. However, Attack stance is sometimes overkill damage too (honestly the game could be even harder to necessitate even more precise positioning, but I imagine the audience for that is small. >_>). So a mix is better to optimize killing enemies; again this matters outside a turncount context as well, if swarmed and needed to protect squishes/certain tiles (most obvious example is N10 after turn 7, but there are others). Enemies hit hard enough that can’t always hide them behind other combat units. Relatively few units are tanky, even with guard stance.

Re: Mages. Corrin is the best and I do think it’s his/her best build in Hoshido and perhaps IK (perhaps even without +Mag). I currently find Corrin more useful as a speedy swordman in Nohr but it’s not like a mage build won’t work. However, I will note that I thought +Mag/-Res had kinda borderline speed when I played Nohr hard (though I think I must have skimmed over Horse God or something, because I don’t remember using it there).

Foleo/Ophelia/even Kanna are pretty useful but if discounting children, the other mages you kinda have to live with their quirks, such as Orochi’s Spd or Tsukuyomi’s bases (he’s okay in Invisible Kingdom). Odin/Nyx also have mediocre bases/growths. Elise/Sakura/Felicia are all decent, but you have to deal with their durability and tome rank (and levels without magic access). Dark Falcon helps everyone a lot, and gives the option of early magical Saizou as well.

Re: Corrin’s spouse

The main things to consider are:

-The S rank pair up bonuses give an extra point or 2. Usually Jakob is best regardless, even for male Corrin, but S Rinkah is a decent physical option.

-The spouse getting Corrin’s secondary class for some unique access to classes/skills. Corrin can usually buddy into what he wants. This is more if you have a favorite of some kind and want them to have special treatment.

-Kanna or too-cute-to-not-use. I find she or he is generally useful as a mixed attacker with Dragonstone and Swords, so I prefer some magical affinity in her mother. Also, Dragonstone is great at tanking so usually don’t want to hurt Def growth too much. I think Sakura is a good mother if you care more about the maingame and if you can live with yourself. Leo/Odin also decent balanced parents.

-The other niche options are Felicia to pass a promoted level 15 skill early (tomebreaker easiest), or Mozume for Aptitude. Maybe Aqua for Voice of peace of something but that’s some low hp/def.

I’m really bad at judging difficulty, but Hoshido lunatic feels easy enough to do whatever you want even without grinding. I’ll compare to FE13 lunatic, but I also think everyone is fairly easy to use there, which doesn’t seem to be a common opinion. Well there’s probably signficantly less babying in Hoshido, since earlygame is much tamer. Nohr is trickier, but a lot of the good characters are male, so maybe. I don’t think you can beat chapter 10 without Camilla though. And earlygame is probably a decent bit harder without Elfie to tank.

Edited by XeKr

Yes, I'd guess that Kanna would want to have a decently magical mother if she wanted to get lots of magic damage out of her Dragonstone.

That said, seeing that it cannot double,you could alternate take the standpoint of building her more defensively, such that she survives hits and baits enemies close for your other units to reach in.

And Dragonstone/Dragonstone+ do have fairly high mights, so she might get some decent magic damage in regardless. If not, it still helps for tanking

Kanna also only gets like a 30% magic growth in her default bases…. she also gets only 30% HP growth by default, as well as 25% DEF and 25% RES.

Also, I'm still not entirely sure how parental inheritance works (I have a hypothesis of [child + variable parent]/2, but haven't confirmed it yet)…. but this means that mothers with high HP, DEF, or RES growths could also be of great use.

For example, consider Matoi, who has a 55% HP growth by default; if [Child+Variable]/2 applies, some of the 45% HP mothers (Sakura, Hinoka, etc.) could leave Matoi with 50% HP growth; Subaki has 55% HP growth, so if it was [Child + Fixed + Variable]/3 instead she'd have even more…. so a mother like Matoi could potentially drag Kanna's HP up to something like 40% HP growth (rather than the old 30% growth, which would give her 4/3 times the HP that she otherwise would).

Of course, Matoi only has a 15% magic growth, so we're talking about 22.5% Magic growth if its [Child+Variable]/2, so she does drag her down there… its would be larger with a +MAG avatar if its [Child + Fixed + Variable]/3, but even then it would only slightly exceed Kanna's base 30…

Of course, I'm not saying Matoi is actually the best choice…. far from it (Tsubaki's -SPD hold her mods back, 15% mag, etc.)… Just noting an alternate approach.

Definitely true about Breaking Sky, but it means Orochi can make a better Basara than it first appears, since she can Breaking Sky some decent damage onto spears against enemies you don't want to use magic against.

oh if you're keeping her in Basara, then yea, go crazy with Breaking Sky. the issue with Orochi's speed isn't that she won't double, it's that she'll get doubled

oh if you're keeping her in Basara, then yea, go crazy with Breaking Sky. the issue with Orochi's speed isn't that she won't double, it's that she'll get doubled

I'm not entirely sure that's actually a problem for Orochi, exactly? In that Orochi can't take a single hit anyway, let alone a double one, so you need to keep her out of the way on the enemy turn and you'd only want her attacking targets she's not going to be countered by on the player turn. She has default 1-2 range and awesome nuking potential, and when she initiates combat she's always going to attack first. If you're picking your targets well according to Orochi's range and/or one-shot-potential, then, much like Orochi's durability, her being doubled shouldn't really come into play.

The place where her getting doubled DOES seem like it would be problematic is enemy mages with higher RES who are more likely to survive her attacks. Generally in FE you can use mages to counter enemy mages because of their natural high RES, but Orochi is probably less suited to this role, which is unfortunate.

I tried +Mag/-Lck in last play though of Nohr Lunatic. Corrin reclassed to Dark Mage during lv10~12 for Bind and tome rank (he could go further if I didn't decide to beat Takumi and Ryoma).

He became:

1. Speedy swordsman in chapter 19 and the final chapter;

2. Dragonstone tank in earlier chapters;

3. Horse God tank in later chapters.

Yato and dragonstone were still better choices when I needed him to beat someone.

Ps: We can get a Horse God from the map of Ophelia.

Edited by Tooru

Yes, I'd guess that Kanna would want to have a decently magical mother if she wanted to get lots of magic damage out of her Dragonstone.

That said, seeing that it cannot double,you could alternate take the standpoint of building her more defensively, such that she survives hits and baits enemies close for your other units to reach in.

And Dragonstone/Dragonstone+ do have fairly high mights, so she might get some decent magic damage in regardless. If not, it still helps for tanking

Kanna also only gets like a 30% magic growth in her default bases…. she also gets only 30% HP growth by default, as well as 25% DEF and 25% RES.

Also, I'm still not entirely sure how parental inheritance works (I have a hypothesis of [child + variable parent]/2, but haven't confirmed it yet)…. but this means that mothers with high HP, DEF, or RES growths could also be of great use.

For example, consider Matoi, who has a 55% HP growth by default; if [Child+Variable]/2 applies, some of the 45% HP mothers (Sakura, Hinoka, etc.) could leave Matoi with 50% HP growth; Subaki has 55% HP growth, so if it was [Child + Fixed + Variable]/3 instead she'd have even more…. so a mother like Matoi could potentially drag Kanna's HP up to something like 40% HP growth (rather than the old 30% growth, which would give her 4/3 times the HP that she otherwise would).

Of course, Matoi only has a 15% magic growth, so we're talking about 22.5% Magic growth if its [Child+Variable]/2, so she does drag her down there… its would be larger with a +MAG avatar if its [Child + Fixed + Variable]/3, but even then it would only slightly exceed Kanna's base 30…

Of course, I'm not saying Matoi is actually the best choice…. far from it (Tsubaki's -SPD hold her mods back, 15% mag, etc.)… Just noting an alternate approach.

Right, the Dragonstone usually doesn’t ohko (without attack stance) and usually does 2hko without much help, so mag the stat doesn’t matter too much (if not really low). I think it’s more useful so that Kanna can use Levin Swords and such better.

I do think [child + variable parent]/2 is a reasonable approximation from your calculations and my own experiences. As you’ve noted, there are some small discrepancies. But still, a good estimate.

There’s probably some good 3rd gen options; I admit they didn’t come to mind for me.

Ps: We can get a Horse God from the map of Ophelia.

Ah thanks. That probably explains why I don’t remember having it in that playthrough. I did know it was obtainable somewhere in Nohr.

So if [variable parent + child]/2 did happen to be correct, then there would be no relation between Kamui's asset/flaw and Kanna's growth rates…. it would be determined by Kanna's growth, Kamui's spouse's growths, and in the case of 3rd gen Kanna the spouse's variable parent as well.

So, for something like Hinoka!Matoi!Kanna, if my approximations/guesses are correct, these would be the stat growths? What do you think?

As previously noted, it does chip away at her magic, but it does improve her durability while not affecting SKL and only slightly impacting SKL/LCK.

We're talking about changes of +10% HP, +2.5% STR, -7.5% MAG, +0% SKL, -1.25% SPD, -1.25% LCK, +5% DEF, +2.5% RES relative to default Kanna.

Hinoka: 45% HP, 45% STR, 15% MAG, 40% SKL, 45% SPD, 40% LCK, 35% DEF, 40% RES

Matoi: 55% HP, 35% STR, 15% MAG, 40% SKL, 40% SPD, 45% Lck, 35% Def, 20% Res

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hinoka!Matoi: 50% HP, 40% STR, 15% MAG, 40% SKL, 42.5% SPD, 42.5% LCK, 35% DEF, 30% RES

Kanna: 30% HP, 35% STR, 30% MAG, 40% SKL, 45% SPD, 45% LCK, 25% DEF, 25% RES

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hinoka!Matoi!Kanna: 40% HP, 37.5% STR, 22.5% MAG, 40% SKL, 43.75% SPD, 43.75% LCK, 30% DEF, 27.5% RES

Hinoka!Matoi!Kanna, Nohr Princess: 55% HP, 52.5% STR, 32.5% MAG, 50% SKL, 53.75% SPD, 53.75% LCK, 40% DEF, 32.5% RES

Hinoka!Matoi!Kanna, White Blood: 55% HP, 52.5% STR, 32.5% MAG, 50% SKL, 53.75% SPD, 53.75% LCK, 45% DEF, 27.5% RES

Hinoka!Matoi!Kanna, Dark Blood: 55% HP, 47.5% STR, 37.5% MAG, 45% SKL, 58.75% SPD, 48.75% LCK, 35% DEF, 42.5% RES

CHANGES :

Buddies :

Wouldn't it be better for Sakura to buddy with Hana? Azura gives Pegasus Warrior to Sakura, but that's Sakura's natural secondary. I'm not sure what exactly Sakura could use from the Samurai, but it's better than getting no opportunities with a class repeat.

Wouldn't it be better for Sakura to buddy with Hana? Azura gives Pegasus Warrior to Sakura, but that's Sakura's natural secondary. I'm not sure what exactly Sakura could use from the Samurai, but it's better than getting no opportunities with a class repeat.

Ah, yeah, forgot. Yeah, better for her to buddy with Hana to get her... Astra? Flowing Strike? I really don't know what's of value in her set for a support unit. :D

Ah, yeah, forgot. Yeah, better for her to buddy with Hana to get her... Astra? Flowing Strike? I really don't know what's of value in her set for a support unit. :D

Strength Seal from Weapon Master might be useful.