Character viability impressions (gameplay spoilers)

XeKr

She gives +4 at base, and the Pegasus/Ninja (who you get a lot of) give Spd+flight/move as well, which is generally more important. I noted her Spd pair up in the tier listing, so I did credit her for that.

I found Tomboy helps marginally in H7, but it's hard to setup (efficiently) because you probably have to dedicate a mount to get Hana to get to the front, and healers in case she's hit (multiple before we get Mend), and chippers so that she can actually kill stuff. All that for an inconsistent 20%, since enemies don't always align nicely?

Edited by XeKr

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally speaking, 2RKOing while getting 2HKOd back- particularly at 1 range with no notable utility- isn't very good in FE. I can't make a full judgment without playing the game, but Hana doesn't seem like a good character in efficient play(not awful though).

Is there any news on Nyx? Use? Don't use? She's very strong, but very fragile I feel. What would be the recommended set up for her? I don't have any other primary magic user, because I reclassed Odin to a Trueblade, barely use Camilla, and have ditched Leo completely.

Is there any news on Nyx? Use? Don't use? She's very strong, but very fragile I feel. What would be the recommended set up for her? I don't have any other primary magic user, because I reclassed Odin to a Trueblade, barely use Camilla, and have ditched Leo completely.

It really depends.Nyx is the mage of Nohr in that she is a glass canon.If you do plan on using a mage, it is Nyx>Odin all the way however she is outclassed by Leon IMO, but if you don't use Leon, then yeah Nyx can be amazing.

Here is a set-up I like.

Nyx@Sorc(I recommend Odin or Benoit as her partner, depending on the set-up)

Nosferatu or Excalibur along side a normal good tome depending

-Defensive Formation/Vantage

-Venegence

-Astra/Luna

-Devilish Wind

-Filler

Nosferatu should be used with DF and Luna while Excalibur with Vantage and Astra.Vengeance is not a requirement and can be replaced.You could also mix this set-up by simply marrying Odin and A+ing Effie but I prefer to A+ her to Mozume so she can get stuff from Bowman since I intend to marry her to Zero(Of coarse when I am not marrying him).

Edited by Azz01

atm I’m thinking I would rate Nyx “don’t use” (Odin “don’t use” and Leo “use”) because of her low bases and since Elise (“maybe use”) is pretty much a better version of her later with extreme Mag/Spd/Res and low Skl/durability. Leo and the children mages Foleo, Ophelia are also much more useful overall. And maybe also Kanna/Corrin with Levin Swords and such.

However, attacking with magic is useful enough that if Nyx is your trained mage, you should probably stick with her role to just nuke things with Lightning/Excalibur, which are crazy spells on playerphase. Accuracy is kinda an issue, so secret books/skill tonics might be useful. Maybe try to get hit rate in Attack Stance too (Arthur +30 at S, apparently. Or others gives +10-20 at various ranks, Corrin gives +10 bonus, etc). The best mage builds for regular maingame use are probably just Dark Falcon to 15 -> Sorc, if the seals are available. Otherwise just stay Sorc.

ofc buy skills and such if you wish, though beware your money stock (unless Easy Life/Smithy grind or DLC grind).

Edited by XeKr

What I will say for Nyx is, she can Buddy Mozume and get Aptitude, which is pretty awesome for her. She's also the only Nohrian who can get to Exorcist from marriage AND buddying (Elise has to Buddy Sakura, Odin has to marry Orochi; Nyx, on the other hand, can marry Tsukuyomi or buddy Orochi) without Kamui's help, which means she has the most versatile access to Tomefaire. Exorcist also fixes her SKL problems and her natural MAG growth is so high that she doesn't miss the 5% Sorcerer has over Exorcist. So there's that.

Odin is probably better off as a magic-swordsman Trueblade than as a Sorcerer. He can get Swordfaire through Trueblade but doesn't have access to Tomefaire without marrying Orochi (so third path only,) Trueblade helps his poor SPD, his STR is wasted in Sorcerer, and Dark Mage actually has +10% STR growth (equal to Samurai's) so he can level as Dark Mage without killing his ability to later hybridize. He REALLY excels as a Dark Falcon, though. He needs SPD and RES, which Dark Falcon has buckets of, and the hybrid STR/MAG stats suit him beautifully.

I think there is at least one exception to "Dark Falcon to 15 -> Sorc" being the best maingame Nohr mage build. Elise has crap SKL but awesome natural SPD; Dark Falcon mirrors this paradigm and thus leveling her as Dark Falcon can leave her dangerously lopsided. Elise really wants her early Rod Knight levels for Rod Knight's +20% SKL, and she might seriously consider some levels as Revenant Knight or Dark Knight so she's slightly less made of tissue paper, even if she's going to end as Strategist or Sorcerer.

What I will say for Nyx is, she can Buddy Mozume and get Aptitude, which is pretty awesome for her. She's also the only Nohrian who can get to Exorcist from marriage AND buddying (Elise has to Buddy Sakura, Odin has to marry Orochi; Nyx, on the other hand, can marry Tsukuyomi or buddy Orochi) without Kamui's help, which means she has the most versatile access to Tomefaire. Exorcist also fixes her SKL problems and her natural MAG growth is so high that she doesn't miss the 5% Sorcerer has over Exorcist. So there's that.

Odin is probably better off as a magic-swordsman Trueblade than as a Sorcerer. He can get Swordfaire through Trueblade but doesn't have access to Tomefaire without marrying Orochi (so third path only,) Trueblade helps his poor SPD, his STR is wasted in Sorcerer, and Dark Mage actually has +10% STR growth (equal to Samurai's) so he can level as Dark Mage without killing his ability to later hybridize. He REALLY excels as a Dark Falcon, though. He needs SPD and RES, which Dark Falcon has buckets of, and the hybrid STR/MAG stats suit him beautifully.

I think there is at least one exception to "Dark Falcon to 15 -> Sorc" being the best maingame Nohr mage build. Elise has crap SKL but awesome natural SPD; Dark Falcon mirrors this paradigm and thus leveling her as Dark Falcon can leave her dangerously lopsided. Elise really wants her early Rod Knight levels for Rod Knight's +20% SKL, and she might seriously consider some levels as Revenant Knight or Dark Knight so she's slightly less made of tissue paper, even if she's going to end as Strategist or Sorcerer.

Buddying with Mozume gives you Bowman, not Villager. so no Aptitude

Main thing about Elise is that (you "could" always reclass the others) Nohr has less healers, so reclassing her to a non healing class means more "pressure" on your remaining healers.

Though if you ask me, Revenant Knight Elise is pretty "broken" in it's own way. Well maybe not nearly as broken, but it's also less...helpful now, seeing that the lower speed cap is eh

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

Buddying with Mozume gives you Bowman, not Villager. so no Aptitude

Ah, my apologies. Forget that, then.

Main thing about Elise is that (you "could" always reclass the others) Nohr has less healers, so reclassing her to a non healing class means more "pressure" on your remaining healers.

Though if you ask me, Revenant Knight Elise is pretty "broken" in it's own way. Well maybe not nearly as broken, but it's also less...helpful now, seeing that the lower speed cap is eh

I don't know how many healers Nohr needs, but if Felicia/Jakob and Zero aren't enough (or if you don't want to use one of them,) Nyx can reclass into Outlaw to become a staff-user herself. Since it looks like Elise might have the better combat stats, that may not be a bad switch to make.

Both Revenant Knight and Dark Knight are nice classes because of their mobility, but lategame Nohr is particularly bad (good?) about destroying units who go off on their own with debuffs/staves/etc. So for casual use Sorc is nice for the hit (S rank, class bonus), Excalibur, and Mag (especially with galeforce). Nosferatu also can allow taking a hit or 2 in an emergency. Nyx not as much, but the others. I think you can do some tricky FE12 style things where a seemingly fragile unit (Dark Mage) takes a few hits away from the primary tank, who takes the other hits. If they all swarmed 1 unit maybe that one would die.

It’s fairly important to have Strategists for the staves as well, I was mainly referring to the dark mages. The thing about Elise is she’s way better offensively, even if she starts at E rank, so she’s a more flexible unit. Felicia/Jakob have low stats for later. Zero/Asyura have fairly low mag and probably can’t use the better staves. Lategame they might want to be Bow Knights for Kunaibreaker against Negative chain (but grab Pass first otherwise endgame is kinda….)

It just occurred to me that if Nyx can get the Bowman line from Mozume, she can get Raven Strike to help work around her low SKL, as well as Bowfaire if you want to take her Adventurer and Shining Bow the crap out of things. I suppose it's even possible you could Holy Bowman her and go for the Mighty/Shining Bow combo; her STR is really bad, but Holy Bowman would pull it up a touch and you'd have Bowfaire, plus she'd get some much-needed HP, SKL, and DEF. It doesn't sound optimal, and pre-Shining Bow would suck, but it's an interesting thought.

Zero/Asyura have fairly low mag and probably can’t use the better staves. Lategame they might want to be Bow Knights for Kunaibreaker against Negative chain (but grab Pass first otherwise endgame is kinda….)

Yeah, if you don't Parallel Seal Zero into a Dark Mage at base, his MAG will probably drag. And then you've lost another healer and would REALLY need Nyx to take the position instead. Does Pass have that great an effect on the endgame?

I think Bowman is an okay option if you have an Arms Scroll, ideally 2 to spare. The Shining Bow is very good but Bronze with Nyx’s strength is just eh. Some of these skill combinations noted are pretty good for the children however, like Defensive formation from Effie to for Nostank or Raven Strike from Mozume (Aptitude not great if child recruited late).

Endgame (in lunatic) without pass is a good bit harder, kinda like FE5 without warp or something.

imo Zero is already one the best characters just going Outlaw -> Adventurer to 15 -> Bow Knight. Maybe fit marriage seal with Mozume somewhere.

I think Bowman is an okay option if you have an Arms Scroll, ideally 2 to spare. The Shining Bow is very good but Bronze with Nyx’s strength is just eh. Some of these skill combinations noted are pretty good for the children however, like Defensive formation from Effie to for Nostank or Raven Strike from Mozume (Aptitude not great if child recruited late).

Endgame (in lunatic) without pass is a good bit harder, kinda like FE5 without warp or something.

imo Zero is already one the best characters just going Outlaw -> Adventurer to 15 -> Bow Knight. Maybe fit marriage seal with Mozume somewhere.

Can you tell me why zero is one of best characters? I will use him anyway but his : -2/0/-1/3/0/0/1 doesn't seems that good for a bowman. How can i see he still have more str than mag after all but i want to know your look at this character in that point.

If you want Zero to be viable IMO, he needs to be an Adventurer using a Shining Bow since he has very little Procs anyways and he just has better Mag.The only reason to marry him to Mozume is for Bowfaire.He gets very little from Bowman otherwise.

Since it's Lunatic I think that it's growths and bases>>>>>>>caps. Zero does have great growths all-around, and for being a Theif character, he can kill the mages in his joining chapter with relative ease if Odin has weakened them (or vice-versa).

I'd also think it's because he's one of the few Nohrian characters who's like, really fast, which gives him something vastly different from all those slow and tanky (or slow and not even tanky) nohrians, even.

If you don't mind talking about it now instead of saving it later for the analysis, how does Charlotte perform?

Edited by Thor Odinson

High base Spd and growth so he doubles most things without help (rare in Nohr). High Res so he beats mages, and this is a consistent edge over Mozume even if you baby her. Also he (who also gives you Eponine) and Mozume are your only real Bow options unless you want to grind. Bows are good in general because they have such high Mt and to kill fliers (especially helpful for those in Guard Stance). If you’re swarmed by fliers and most units 2 round them it’s really useful to have Zero snipe them, usually at perfect accuracy. Also triangle against Ninjas is also useful since they can be dodgy, and way too annoying to leave alive between their debuffs and poison.

Already mentioned Kunaibreaker and Pass. Lucky Seven is a big boost during the opening turns, where it can be important to get the situation under control. Sometimes he can even Dual guard/avoidtank with the Shining Bow for a few turns. And locktouch obviously helps on occasion. Zero likes Bowman because the bases are way better, like 7 att (14 damage between doubling, base Str and Prescient Victory).

Caps don’t really matter since max stats only happen with grinding and at the very end of the game. At that point, 1-2 points wouldn’t make much of a difference anyway.

I’d probably rate him use in the writeup which is going to be an edited version of this because laziness. Again this in the context of main-game, no grind play in Lunatic.

edit: welp didn't see that Charlotte thing. I'll writeup some details when I get a chance (my feeling is she's going to be "don't use" tho :\ . Base Spd is eh. Nohr is a bit harsher and I'm currently thinking more "uses" and "don't uses" than maybes)

Edited by XeKr

High base Spd and growth so he doubles most things without help (rare in Nohr). High Res so he beats mages, and this is a consistent edge over Mozume even if you baby her. Also he (who also gives you Eponine) and Mozume are your only real Bow options unless you want to grind. Bows are good in general because they have such high Mt and to kill fliers (especially helpful for those in Guard Stance). If you’re swarmed by fliers and most units 2 round them it’s really useful to have Zero snipe them, usually at perfect accuracy. Also triangle against Ninjas is also useful since they can be dodgy, and way too annoying to leave alive between their debuffs and poison.

Already mentioned Kunaibreaker and Pass. Lucky Seven is a big boost during the opening turns, where it can be important to get the situation under control. Sometimes he can even Dual guard/avoidtank with the Shining Bow for a few turns. And locktouch obviously helps on occasion.

Caps don’t really matter since max stats only happen with grinding and at the very end of the game. At that point, 1-2 points wouldn’t make much of a difference anyway.

I’d probably rate him use in the writeup which is going to be an edited version of this because laziness. Again this in the context of main-game, no grind play in Lunatic.

edit: welp didn't see that Charlotte thing. I'll writeup some details when I get a chance (my feeling is she's going to be "don't use" tho :\ )

I see, still for me that's strange he have -2 to str tho. Well i'm going to grind at least 5 of my characters to pvp and Zero will be on of them along with Kamui with him, When i'll hit the cap str/mag should be similar so he can use physical bows also. We'll see when game will run in eu tho. I still wonder who should i use as fifth character to pvp, If someone cares i'm going to use for sure Kamui + zero / Marx + Sakura (dark flier), wanted to use Deere but when thier team will one shot my units he will be usless there. : s

To add to what makes Zero good is his capture skill, even though it means he doesn't get a combat skill and most enemies aren't up to par with your regular characters there's atleast 1 exception. There's a particular Generic Weaponmaster in Nohr's Chapter 23 who has Rally Strength, Speed, Defense and Resistance and isn't too difficult to capture(position-wise).

If Zero wasn't already well worth using that Weaponmaster is a good incentive if you don't mind a generic unit taking up a deployment slot.

Edited by arvilino

I see, still for me that's strange he have -2 to str tho. Well i'm going to grind at least 5 of my characters to pvp and Zero will be on of them along with Kamui with him, When i'll hit the cap str/mag should be similar so he can use physical bows also. We'll see when game will run in eu tho. I still wonder who should i use as fifth character to pvp, If someone cares i'm going to use for sure Kamui + zero / Marx + Sakura (dark flier), wanted to use Deere but when thier team will one shot my units he will be usless there. : s

Well usually children characters are good for pvp since they have higher caps and a wider skill pool. Since braves exist, the unrestricted meta probably is just a “first move” thing with Rescue staves. Copycat gives plenty of units to swarm with. Maybe niche vantage builds could result in stall wars too? Potentially lots of randomness with Lethality builds and such as well (or does Astra counter it, with Dual Guards?). tbh I don’t find FE the best competitive game (due to some intrinsic things about it), but to each his/her own, and still can be interesting to muse about.

To add to what makes Zero good is his capture skill, even though it means he doesn't get a combat skill and most enemies aren't up to par with your regular characters there's atleast 1 exception. There's a particular Generic Weaponmaster in Nohr's Chapter 23 who has Rally Strength, Speed, Defense and Resistance and isn't too difficult to capture(position-wise).

If Zero wasn't already well worth using that Weaponmaster is a good incentive if you don't mind a generic unit taking up a deployment slot.

Yeah there’s definitely some potential with capture, but I admit I haven’t used it too much. Though I do remember the boss of N9 with Rally Defense is pretty good, especially for the defense chapter that follows.

Re: Charlotte: The issue with her is Nohr Lunatic is pretty hard and she’s underleveled. I feel she doesn’t offer enough, consistently, later as a trained combat unit. Her crit can get pretty high, but that’s usually not something to rely on if you need something killed. Sol is incredibly good still, but she’s hopefully not going to take on swarms of enemies hoping to proc it to live. It certainly still helps a lot, as Charlotte usually deals enough damage to self-heal back a lot (unlike say, Luna).

Raw defenses are definitely low, which is not good for a melee unit. Low Def is somewhat mitigated by high Hp and Defense stacking with Rally, Battle Command, tonics, Elise, etc (easier to stack than other stats), though she’ll never have very good durability. Mag is an easy 2hko, no matter what you try, though it typically 2-3hkos units without good res anyway. The Hp/Def/Res distribution also does make it more expensive to heal her by a bit.

Though I will mention very high Str and Axes is extremely useful against Ninja, especially if she can ohko them with attack stance. Her personal mainly works against a few healing classes and also the Pegasus line (most useful in N24 probably).

Edited by XeKr

Well usually children characters are good for pvp since they have higher caps and a wider skill pool. Since braves exist, the unrestricted meta probably is just a “first move” thing with Rescue staves. Copycat gives plenty of units to swarm with. Maybe niche vantage builds could result in stall wars too? Potentially lots of randomness with Lethality builds and such as well (or does Astra counter it, with Dual Guards?). tbh I don’t find FE the best competitive game (due to some intrinsic things about it), but to each his/her own, and still can be interesting to muse about.Yeah there’s definitely some potential with capture, but I admit I haven’t used it too much. Though I do remember the boss of N9 with Rally Defense is pretty good, especially for defense chapter that follows.Re: Charlotte: The issue with her is Nohr Lunatic is pretty hard and she’s underleveled. I feel she doesn’t offer enough, consistently, later as a trained combat unit. Her crit can get pretty high, but that’s usually not something to rely on if you need something killed. Sol is incredibly good still, but she’s hopefully not going to take on swarms of enemies hoping to proc it to live. It certainly still helps a lot, as Charlotte usually deals enough damage to self-heal back a lot (unlike say, Luna).Raw defenses are definitely low, which is not good for a melee unit. Low Def is somewhat mitigated by high Hp and Defense stacking with Battle Command, tonics, Elise, etc (easier to stack than other stats), though she’ll never have very good durability. Mag is an easy 2hko, no matter what you try, though it usually 2-3hkos units without good res anyway. The Hp/Def/Res distribution also does make it more expensive to heal her by a bit.

She has Tomebreaker and can get Swordbreaker through A+ Belka/Berka....

Both come at level 15, very late in the game, and Tomebreaker means you're dealing with Bronze Kunai while trying to deal with the negative chain/infinite staff spam? Maybe worth buying the skill, but otherwise eh...

It's not like it brings all hit rates to 0 either, and Tomes have triangle on Axes, so it's still risky.

Swordbreaker is good, though Swords still have decent accuracy on her and she doesn't have the Def to back it up. I did think it was good on Camilla (and she gets it a few chapters earlier b/c of her exp), but not as much as expected.

Edited by XeKr

Ah, that's unfortunate to hear about Charlotte. How hard is it to fit her into a team, though? One of the reasons I'm hype for fates is that female berserker is finally a thing, and I really like Charlotte as a character. I'm not as adamant about using her as I am with Rinka, though.

If I wanted a female berserker, would you recommend going with her anyway despite the low joining level, or should I just A+ Camilla to Belka and use Camilla that way? Or is Camilla's more useful being a speedish tank?

Actually, how good would Sol be on Camilla?

Edited by Thor Odinson

Well we’re past the days of Sophia and friends. Everyone is quite usable if you know how baby units. It’s just nothing about Charlotte stands out to me once she’s trained (unlike Mozume, for example), especially since there’s a lot of children characters that join with no training (not really enough slots). And I’m probably biased against unreliable things like crits.

tbh it’s probably less hard to use Charlotte than Sully or other non-Veterans in FE13 Lunatic. Which is not that bad if you take some time in the early chapters. Of course Charlotte never gets as bulky as Awakening units, but relative to the game it’s not so bad.

I did Revenant Knight to 5 -> Wyvern Lord to 15 -> Berserker to 19 -> Wyvern Lord with Camilla. It was mainly because I wanted to try the S rank Axe for a bit, but her durability really faltered so I switched back. In general her low Hp kinda hurts in the lategame, but it can be helped with tonics/Robes (and Hp+5 too). I think Sol would be the better option, even if you miss out on Axefaire. Actually Axebreaker from Hero is pretty nice against Berserkers/Generals later too.

Could get more of these skills with some earlier reclassing, but in the midgame Camilla is really useful as a Wyvern so I would recommend staying there. However, certainly an option to Hero to 7 -> Berserker (to 15 -> Wyvern) or similar. Sol in general is still one of the best skills, but Nohr is not really the place where even self-healing will always save you on enemy phase. Still, until the reallylategame it does significantly boost durability as long as you can take a few hits to get probability on your side (repeated trials differentiates this from crits) and build the Guard gauge, etc. And Camilla definitely can (beware enemy crits somewhat tho).

Also fwiw I think either Camilla or Corrin is the best unit in Nohr, in the overall sense.

Edited by XeKr