On Project Naga...

Lantairu

It's less that the dialogue is too casual and more that it's too contemporary. Can you really imagine any character in Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones saying "Sure! What's up?"

There's also this gem, from Chapter 6:

Levin: ..."let’s just say my shrink has had steady work for a while."

Your SHRINK? YOUR SHRINK?

The only way that could sound more out of place is if he had followed up by asking Celice to swing by Starbucks and pick him up a latte.

And some more!

Trabant: "Sheesh… Papilion blew it."

Levin: "Ahh… screw it."

Alec: "Damn straight."

Julius: "Better be interesting, Manfroy."

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's less that the dialogue is too casual and more that it's too contemporary. Can you really imagine any character in Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones saying "Sure! What's up?"

Honestly...yeah. I mean, they drop the F-bomb all the time, and it seems like people are always being called "b****" and "c***" and all that. And I can remember Ramsey telling someone that they "had more balls than [Theon Greyjoy] ever did", and he's supposed to be a prince, so...I dunno. The writing for that show never felt all that high brow to me.

There's also this gem, from Chapter 6:

Levin: ..."let’s just say my shrink has had steady work for a while."

Your SHRINK? YOUR SHRINK?

The only way that could sound more out of place is if he had followed up by asking Celice to swing by Starbucks and pick him up a latte.

I think that suits Levin perfectly though. He's exactly the kind of guy who would downplay his own misery by making it into a joke. Besides, if we really were striving for "historical accuracy"...we'd probably be getting Shakespeare quotes, and overly flowery language like what we sometimes got in the Shadow Dragon localization, and what we ALWAYS got in the Final Fantasy Tactics remake. If I had to choose between that and what we got there...I would prefer just having the characters talk like they do in the old patch...

Not that I'm saying that that's the perfect approach. I think the BEST approach would be the way the FE13 localization did it, where they would switch back and forth between the two styles depending on which one worked best. I'm just saying that if I had to choose one or the other...I'd choose the way the old patch did it, rather than the way Shadow Dragon did it.

And some more!

Trabant: "Sheesh… Papilion blew it."

Levin: "Ahh… screw it."

Alec: "Damn straight."

Julius: "Better be interesting, Manfroy."

That's part of what I like most about the old patch actually. IMO, it helps to make the characters feel more relatable when the writers aren't trying so hard to pretty up the dialogue. Like the old saying goes, "sometimes less is more".

Edited by FionordeQuester

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because things like that just completely take me out of the game. Look, I'm not asking for Dragon Quest I-style dialogue here, I just think the characters shouldn't be using 21st-century slang and idioms. It's jarring and unnecessary.

I suppose. To me, it's just one of those things where, technically, if things were completely realistic, the people in FE4 wouldn't even be speaking English, they'd be speaking Japanese. And everyone would be speaking different languages, instead of having Agusty, Grandbell, Isaach and Verdane ALL somehow speaking the exact same language (even when you're visiting the local peasant villages).

And if Game of Thrones were totally realistic to it's time period...we would hardly be able to understand a thing the characters said without a lot of really over-the-top body language. So, it just doesn't bother me :P:. I just take it for granted that, hey, the dialogue is never going to be totally realistic for the setting so...whatever.

I suppose. To me, it's just one of those things where, technically, if things were completely realistic, the people in FE4 wouldn't even be speaking English, they'd be speaking Japanese. And everyone would be speaking different languages, instead of having Agusty, Grandbell, Isaach and Verdane ALL somehow speaking the exact same language (even when you're visiting the local peasant villages).

And if Game of Thrones were totally realistic to it's time period...we would hardly be able to understand a thing the characters said without a lot of really over-the-top body language. So, it just doesn't bother me :P:. I just take it for granted that, hey, the dialogue is never going to be totally realistic for the setting so...whatever.

Except they do speak Japanese :P. But in all seriousness I do agree with you.

all the other name changes are awful

granted i'll still try to finish the old patch since the names are mostly less awful, but i'll give this a try once I finish it

Though, I still hate Aoife. And Raquesis. And Dermott. And tons of other names. I guess the naming sucks. Especially Ced. Nobody and I mean NOBODY likes Ced. So many things wrong with that name.

thank you for your kind words! you three have all inspired me to make a couple more name changes! look forward to beowulf becoming "bernard", machua becoming "melissa", nanna becoming "nanette", and oifey becoming "aife" in the finished product! :)

Yeah, their criticism wasn't delivered in the most constructive way, I agree. But still, they do have a point on how awkward some of the new names are (though to be fair, a lot of them aren't your fault. Awakening already saddled you with most of them)

Btw, did you ever get that PM I sent you? I sent you one about a month ago, but, it doesn't seem as though you got it. You still looking at peer review, or have you moved on from that phase?

thank you for your kind words! you three have all inspired me to make a couple more name changes! look forward to beowulf becoming "bernard", machua becoming "melissa", nanna becoming "nanette", and oifey becoming "aife" in the finished product! :)

Dis guy.

I don't even get why people get so up in arms over name changes. I mean, aside from maybe the fact that you'll have to remember the new name, names are names. Especially examples like Ced;, those changes are out of his hands anyway and consistency is a good thing, you know. I guess it's just me and I just find it weird.

I can get behind all of the name changes, even Fury -> Erin(because bookofholserty is right in saying Fury sounds silly as a name and Erin fits her quite well as Fury is a fairly ordinary girl). Really the only thing I will miss in the new script is Harold's "Ergh... It's ONLY the rebel army!" line from the old one. But small potatoes.

I can get behind all of the name changes, even Fury -> Erin

how is this the first time erin has been brought up at all in this thread

like come on guys if you're going to complain about name changes, complain about the only name that's actually been completely changed!

i was talking about thracia though

pls use felgus

seriously though the names for thracia are mostly better anyway since a lot of them were either impossible to pronounce or sounded dumb

the only one i like better that wasn't in fe4 from the fan translation is eyvel

still felgus pls

oh also what's wrong with dermott that sounds fine

Edited by maybe

These name changes are sort of a mixed bag for me. I definitely prefer names like Larcei and Ulster, as Lakche and Scathatch sound like a komodo dragon with food poisoning.

Others just seem a bit unnecessary, Like Johalva -> Johalvier. The original name sounds more similar to Johalva, so I'm not quite sure why it was changed.

And others are just bad. Corple -> Cairpre? How do you even pronounce that?

Edited by Upside-DownFish

Huh...interesting. But...I dunno. Most people aren't going to be nearly so well-versed, so for them, they're not going to get anything neat out of seemingly odd names like that. They're just going to pause, spend about 2 minutes trying to figure out how to pronounce it, give up, and then maybe get frustrated at their lack of ability to do so.

Kind of like what happened in the localization of Dragon Quest IV (DS), where the localizers gave the people in Chapter 1 such thick Scottish accents, that I spent like, 2 minutes trying to figure out what the king was saying (turns out "bairns" means "children". Who know :P:?).

EDIT: Out of curiosity, how exactly IS "Cairpre" pronounced anyway? "Kah-Ear-Pray"?

Like it so far (I like the silliness of the old translations, in much the same way that i like the DS dragon quest games' translations, but i understand that seriousness works better in this context. As for the names, who cares?), but i hope it gets patched in soon. I honestly find the best translation useless until it has been inserted into the actual game. Is that likely to happen soon?

Yeah, sorry for crapping on your work. I admit, though, it isn't really your fault, as I know you're trying to use official names whenever possible. I was thinking this whole time, "Crap, he might see this..." I will say though, as much as I don't like the official names, I definitely like the rescripting. And, as unimportant as this seems, I freaking love the title screen, great work on that.

oh, crap on my actual work by all means. i just absolutely don't give a shit about namewank anymore

Yeah, I know that you aren't taking suggestions on names and are done with all of that. But even putting nitpicking aside, Ced still baffles me to no ends. Nothing I'll avoid the translation for, but what is the etymology behind that?

hell if i know. don't know what 8-4 was thinking when they localised it in fe13, but i don't mind it. it sort of makes the character feel a little less on the nose and unsubtle about the whole SETY DESCENDANT OF SETY WIELDER OF FORSETI WHO BEARS THE BLOOD OF FORSETI thing

I proposed a complete set of name changes for a new Thracia translation none too long ago and got laughed into oblivion, it's a rite of passage for all translators

I proposed a complete set of name changes for a new Thracia translation none too long ago and got laughed into oblivion, it's a rite of passage for all translators

The Fire Emblem fandom is really protective of their stupid engrish names for some reason.

Edited by Gomez_Addams

That's different. Literally all you did was propose name changes and suggest that someone else insert them. I felt that it was little more then whining about the names in the current translation. If you do something related to names and nothing else, it really shouldn't surprise you if people complain about them. People like gringe and bookofholsety, on the other had, have done a complete re-translation, of which the names are but the tiniest part. As such, they have a right to be annoyed when people endlessly whine about the names, as opposed to reading and suggesting corrections for the rest of the text, which is why the draft was posted in the first place.

Edited by sirmola

Huh...interesting. But...I dunno. Most people aren't going to be nearly so well-versed, so for them, they're not going to get anything neat out of seemingly odd names like that. They're just going to pause, spend about 2 minutes trying to figure out how to pronounce it, give up, and then maybe get frustrated at their lack of ability to do so.

Kind of like what happened in the localization of Dragon Quest IV (DS), where the localizers gave the people in Chapter 1 such thick Scottish accents, that I spent like, 2 minutes trying to figure out what the king was saying (turns out "bairns" means "children". Who know :P:?).

EDIT: Out of curiosity, how exactly IS "Cairpre" pronounced anyway? "Kah-Ear-Pray"?

Except the DQIV English Script had accents inserted out of nowhere. In this case, calling Sylvia's son Cairpre would be acknowledging a reference that past scripts and romanizations missed.

Except the DQIV English Script had accents inserted out of nowhere. In this case, calling Sylvia's son Cairpre would be acknowledging a reference that past scripts and romanizations missed.

Well, in regards to Cairpre, if BookofHolsety is reading this, I don't want to give him the wrong impression. I don't think it's a big deal whether Cairpre is or isn't used, since it's really just a name anyway.

I'm just saying though, I think the effect on the audience is still the same. I mean, I can appreciate some of the new, fancier names (like "Bordeaux" instead of "Boldo", which sounds too much like "Baldo"), but unless you include the patch with a pronunciation guide or something, it's just going to be distracting.

Besides, between "Tyrfing", "Sigurd", "Deidre", "Midir", "Beowulf", "Belhalla", "Jugdral", and all that, it seems to me like there's already plenty of references to Irish and Norse mythology. So I think anyone who's familiar with those cultures are going to know where FE4's inspiration came from, regardless of whether or not "Cairpre" is used as a name. As a result, I don't think anything would be lost. But of course, that's my opinion. Do as you will BookofHolsety :P:!

quality translation inbound

Wait, you mean, you can tell it's going to be a quality translation (which I definitely think it will be)? Or, are you stating that it's not going to be one in a sarcastic way? I'm not sure I understand.