Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 1

Shin

Jean looked over the woman who had mentioned him in an unsatisfactory way to say the least.

"Ah, but I know your type as well. Tell me, what is the fun type of noble - the dense type that allows you to take your share of wealth? But I care not for your approval - my honour and duty are things I take pride in, things you would know nothing about."

Jean turned back to Niko. "I will not take your word for it - you will have to prove yourself to earn my respect, just as any other combatant. Fair is fair, correct? Then I believe we are done."

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You see now, the fun kind isn't an insufferable prick who acts like they're better than everyone else," Sidney responded, using a voice that sounds like she was berating a child. "One who treats others like normal human beings that go about their own lives, and knows that their wealth doesn't happen to make them born winners or anything of the sort. They're aware of how the real world is- you seem to not! I knew plenty of both types back in my Raewalden days, and no, no, no, you're no fun at all. Shall your nickname be buzzkill?"

It's a deal

Handing over the lance to Angus, the blacksmith took his payment. "Should be able to do some damage with that fella. Bandits around these parts aren't too unusual. That Dettard kid can't really handle them as well as his old man, they've left to do as they please."

Jean heard a lot of presumptions, but little else of value. He grew tired of these words.

"Indeed dense then, if they are highly regarded by a person such as yourself? I'm sure that whatever you call me, they will be empty words, as the rest of yours seem to be. Kindly avoid my presence, and it'll be better for the both of us."

Edited by Tryhard

Doug stayed silent for most of the argument. Niko was certainly able to handle "John Redd" all by himself. Besides, the recount of his meeting with Salty Simon would only hurt Niko's position in the argument (in hindsight, he really should have asked him more questions to bring something to the table).

"Skittles, eh?" Doug said to Sidney. "Sounds fun, whatever a skittle is."

While Doug was greeting a potential new member in their squad, Jean was insisting that they "avoid his presence." To which, Doug had to point out...

"Uh, I think you came to us, John," he said in a matter-of-fact tone.

Jean furrowed his brow. Would these be the types of people he would have the pleasure of dealing with?

"Don't test me, boy. Consider it a pre-emptive warning. And it's Jean, not John - at least I have the basic courtesy to get your name correct..."

Edited by Tryhard

"Having fun on your imaginary high horse there? I don't think anybody is terribly afraid of testing you right now, Johnny- you seem barely capable of handling a little verbal heat! Implied threats don't exactly come off as basic courtesies, and what would you do, anyway- harm an ally and lose whatever favor you're trying to curry or whatever? I'm sure that would go swimmingly for you." Sidney paced around, in her element with all the wordplay. "If I'm avoiding you, it'll be on my terms, not yours. I don't respond well to orders, especially from some uptight prat who doesn't have a clue about how people are!"

"I doubt you've been in court, where men fight with words just as much as weaponry. Compared to that, your little jabs mean nothing. Still, you are right about one thing - I'm not going to attack an ally. You would do best to watch if we ever meet outside this arrangement, however."

"That said, I'm done with your attempts at goading."

Jean upped and walked away, to clear his head. Talking with those three gave him the most painful migraine. He found himself a secluded space on the bridge, just waiting for the command to move out. To occupy himself, he cleaned out his firearm's barrel as best he could.

Edited by Tryhard

"Mmm, I can understand that, but you should trust his judgment. Like it or not, skills such as those can prove useful... what is one of your father's spies but a thief of a different sort, if you think about it?" Adele replied with a shrug, as Cassandra curled up in the grass.

"As for her mannerisms, some are just like that. I'd advise you to not think on it too much... if you're both willing to put in the energy to badger one another so, then you can't truly get along all that badly. You'd ignore her if you did." The noble continued, gently patting Cassandra on the head, and softly petting at her hair in an attempt to comfort the princess.

"As for that, well... everyone has their lot in life. While yours might not be as exciting, you've many a thing they don't. If you rebel too much, you'll lose what freedoms you've gotten for yourself, at least for now. I don't really know what to tell you, I suppose... while you might be kept under shelter, I wish that my father was as... hands off as yours. At least you haven't been pawned off for family times nearing two dozen times..."

"Court is boring!" Sidney shouted after Jean after he left. "Maneuvering with wordplay, psh- there's nothing to it! And I don't just mean the kind you're tried in." He's leaving- he's frustrated. Jabs mean nothing my ass- I'm getting to him. As he deserves! She crossed her arms, leaning on the side of the bridge with smug confidence. "Huh, that really shows how much he knows- words like weapons. Hah! Anyone really in fight or flight moments when you're on your own would know a dull discussion in court doesn't come close to the rush of emotion in the real tough moments. Treachery by blade and speech are so very different." The thief drew her knife, playing with it and twirling it around. "Pah, details, details... it's not important. It all comes down to him being an idiot."

As Jean pronounced his name, Doug looked to the others. He could have sworn he just said John, albeit in his haughty-taughty accent. He was legitimately confused about the whole conversation. Jean came to them as if he were looking for a fight. Not sure what to think, he turned to Niko.

"So...what just happened?"

Then Sidney went over to bug Jean some more. Doug didn't really want to jump back into that hornet's nest, so instead he showed Niko what he received from Simon.

"So the pirate out there was just a guy getting his stuff. Not allied with the others at all it seemed. He did give me one of these things though."

The rider showed off the bizarre gem.

"Is it worth anything?"

Cass hadn't taken the time to think about it that way. And it puzzled her as to why she hadn't. It also bothered her that it could be boiled down to something so simple, after all those heated words had been thrown about. And then it embarrassed her, for being so blind to it. She groaned, blushed, and flailed slightly, mumbling to herself. I suppose I'll have to apologize, at some point... Ugh. That was truly, truly embarrassing.

At least speaking with Adele was clearing things up. And it felt nice to be consoled with a pat, every now and then. She gently shuffled closer as her hair was stroked, nodding along. "I suppose not... I guess it was just the air she put on. She seemed far too confident about how I would react, but-- then I did react, so I suppose I played right into her hand. A blunder." Perhaps this Sidney character wasn't as bad as originally thought... Though, she would have to quit it on the nickname front. That was where Cass was not willing to budge.

She finally sat up, scooting closer to Adele and pulling her knees up. "I know my privileges, don't worry. Always fed, always clothed, always taken care of. A wonderful roof above my head, plenty of hands waiting on me and giving me whatever I want. I'm not about to storm out of the castle and abandon all of that, I just... Wish I had a say in the matter. It feels like I'm playing a part some days, instead of living." A wry smile crept onto her face, giggling at Adele's mention of hands off fathers. "I suppose you feel the same way, about certain things, eheh. But, can you blame him? Look at yourself. It's no surprise he continues to try. I feel any suitor would be willing to go to absurd lengths to have someone as beautiful as you by their side."

"I suppose I appreciate the compliment. But I'll be damned if I'm going to be sold to some foppish buffoon for naught but family favour." Adele replied with a distraught expression, laying back onto the grass with a light flop, and moving her gaze to the clouds, as they rolled by.

"Regardless, I wish I could say my largest problem was that I felt too cooped up, at any rate. If it's any consolation, you've ample adventure set on your plate right now, and perhaps if your father sees your ability to handle yourself, he may loosen his hold upon you. Though I suppose that's something to find out later on." Adele continued, somewhat lazily watching the sky, absentmindedly playing with her own hair.

"As for now, just enjoy what time you do have. See what there is to see, do what there is to do. Perhaps you might even find yourself well-served to frolic about with that larcener... if nothing else, it is certainly an experience you would never have in the castle."

"I'd hope you appreciate the compliment~ It's true. I've been quite jealous, a few times, of how you manage to swing your axe around and yet maintain an air of elegance outside of battle proceedings." Cass nodded as her friend fell over, following her gaze up to the clouds. "You are right though, that you shouldn't be sold like some candle stand, simply because you look good where they place you. No one should be. I'm glad Father hasn't tried, yet." Of that, Cass was glad for her position.

"Wouldn't that just be wonderful? I know I'll never get the freedom Owen does, but at least to be able to choose where my time goes, my that would be delightful. I can almost see it now, training out in the courtyard with the other soldiers, not having to sneak out of the castle to experience the town. Perhaps one day." Cass didn't let the thought of this being only a maybe get her down. It was nice to sit among those thoughts and imagine the future like that. I'll have to perform as best as I can during this operation. Father will see my use as a fighter, not a Princess!

"I could frolic about with her... Ooooor, I could simply do it with you, and give myself a good time, instead of one that perhaps, could end up good. Besides, I don't have to play mind games with you, Graham and Owen. I never know how to read that thief." Cass laid down next to Adele, and started watching the clouds as they lazily floated by. "You ever sit down and make shapes in the clouds? It's a bit juvenile, sure, but... It's nice to forget about growing up, sometimes."

Angus nods his thanks, departing for the shop next door.

[Can't handle them as well as the old man--hrm. No clue what he could've meant by that, but it's worth passing on regardless.]

The squire soon finds his way to the shop, eyeing the stock for anything of use.

"Tell me, do you have any medicines here? It's been quite a day, and we would do well to stock up."

"I hadn't thought of it, much. Though I suppose they do resemble things from time to time, don't they? I suppose such a thing might not be so bad, now and again." Adele replied lazily, gently placing her hand over Cassandra's, and giving it a light squeeze, as she let out a yawn.

"As for our fathers, well... I suppose we'll just need to stew beneath them together, as we always have, hmm? I'm sure he'll see the merit of allowing you some freedoms with time, and hopefully my own will stop with his scheming... they have been a tad more scarce, as of late. As for that, I suppose I can keep you company in her stead, if you're truly so against mingling with the common folk. A bit odd, considering your aspirations, you know?" Adele continued, gently playing about with her friend's palm as she spoke, watching the clouds roll by.

Cass casually entwined her fingers with Adele's as they spoke, giggling over the clouds. "It's simple, but it's fun, and it's a good way to take your mind off of things. Like that one, looks like a rabbit, jumping... And that one an axe head." Well, her mind might have been a bit split on how she used this to relax, but she definitely did, at least.

"As we always have, alas~ I'm hoping this is what lets Father see what would be good about letting me have more than healing lessons, or, ugh, etiquette. I can't stand those. They've infected my mannerisms, I tell you. I used to have much more vulgar speech, but now it's full of these, flowery, eloquent wo-- ugh, see? Eloquent. I used to never say things like that. Infectious, I swear." Cass rolled her eyes, but she still giggled. It was nice to complain about these things without having to worry about anyone disagreeing with her. Lord knows Owen would try to correct some of it. "I'm not against mingling with the common folk! That mercenary you have over there, he seemed like an upstanding fellow, and I'm sure he's part of the commoners. I just don't like thieves. I will speak with him more, don't you worry. He was interesting, at least. I'll never get anywhere if all I do is speak with you all for the rest of my life, right? Besides, I have met some... Colorful individuals at the taverns in the castle's town-- Hee~ Hey, watch your fingers, heheh." Adele found it fun to play around in the palm of Cassandra's hand, a small stroke tickling her skin.

"It's not so bad to have a lexicon outside of cursing and vulgarities, Cassandra." Adele teased with a smirk, giving Cassandra's hand a bit of a tighter squeeze.

"Honestly, you act so tough, nowadays. When we were younger, you'd not stand up to a soul, even if they were half your size... not unless I held your hand like this, out of their sight. You certainly have grown, since then." The noble continued, holding her smirk as she spoke.

"As for them, I'd suggest you go for it. It can't hurt to be on good terms with your comrades, and if we are to attack Dettard's manor, then those Reliants will certainly be a boon."

"No, no you're right, again. It's just that it's influencing my natural speech-- that won't do. I'll have to break it out of me over a few months." Cass giggled back, letting go of earlier tension over the fight and her problems.

"Of course I do. It's a tough world, for a Princess. You have to be tough back-- and, h-hey, that was way back then, alright?" Cass said, protesting with a faint blush. "I'm a big girl now, as one would say. I have to be able to stand up for myself. I even dispatched some of those thugs personally. I can handle myself just fine~" Cass nodded with conviction, sure of herself.

"I suppose-- but, Niko first, Sidney... Later. I'm still not sure I can deal with her, but I'm willing to try. At least, now. It really was foolish to think of it the way I did, hmm? Honestly..." Cass sighed, wiggling her shoulders a bit against the grass.

"You did remind me of the past, though, as embarrassing as it was to bring such a thing up... I still remember the first time I tried to train with you, and I ended up throwing the axe on my first swing. I gave your Father a fright, heheh~ It was so unfortunate, having to beg him not to tell my Father. I'm glad he agreed, but... I've learned to keep a tighter grip, ever since. My, my~"

Ye Olde Shoppe

A feeble old woman greeted Angus at the door, ushering him in to view her wares. "Do come in, sonny. I've got all sorts of pots and potions for you to look at. They're all home made with natural ingredients by yours truly!"

Vulnerary - 400G

Salve - 500G

Ointment - 700G

Heal - 600G

Suddenly Jeeves

"Yes, quite, I very much recall the incident also, Princess Cassandra. I am certain your grip is much more satisfactory" Jeeves added, having left Graham to his own devices. The old butler had a tendency to give no warning of his appearances, which was itself a blessing and a curse. "Lady Adeltrudis, with our current rate of travel, it is unlikely we would be able to reach Baron Dettard's estate until tomorrow afternoon. May I ask what your intentions are for travel? I would strongly recommend against continuing after the sun has set."

"Heh, you say that, but I know that tough act of yours is just that, Cassandra. Inside you're still a big baby where it counts." Adele teased, though she cringed a bit as Cassandra brought up a particular incident.

"Don't remind me, I've still a scar on my shoulder, you know? Were you but an inch more accurate, you'd have taken my head clean off my shoulders... either way, you can perhaps use those manners that have been shoved down your throat so thoroughly to make acquaintance of our companions." The noble continued, eventually returning a smile to her face despite the recollection. At that point, Jeeves came up, and asked of their arrangements for the night.

"I would intend to set up camp as the sun falls, but it is as much Prince Owen's decision as my own. I will consult with him, shortly."

Cass furrowed her brow, sticking out her tongue a blowing a raspberry at Adele. "It is not an act. I'm tougher than most! Big baby indeed." She held a wry smile after that, knowing that Adele was probably just joking. Or at least, she hoped! She hadn't spent all this time getting tougher for nothing.

"Oh, you do? Curses, I was hoping that would fade. Well, I'm glad my aim was off that day, though I won't be letting go of any axes anymore, not on accident, at least. Let's hope my aim's fixed itself for when we're fighting bandits. And I will, I will. I used it when I introduced myself, to them. I know that acting like I do around you and Owen won't net me any friends-- at least not with this crowd, or, not even with the right sort of crowd. I don't want to befriend the bandits I'm striking down, after all."

It was then that Jeeves, the slippery old fool, made himself known, spooking Cass enough to jump a bit close to Adele, giving her hand a far too tight squeeze. She relented after the moment, and sat up to scowl at him. "Jeeves! You must make some noise before doing that, my goodness! This isn't the first time you've nearly given me a heart attack. You're far too quiet..." She didn't have to add to the comment about sleeping, because she had already assumed that was the plan. Owen would tell them what to do, either way.

Coins rustle as Angus takes account of the purse. He reaches inside, palming out the cost of a Vulnerary. [We don't have much--we're going a bit rougher on this one, then.] He deposits the first handful of gold on the counter, following it with a slightly larger one.

"I'll take a Salve and a Vulnerary, ma'am. And if you've got family around--keep an eye on 'em, eh? It's rough out there."

"So long as you're aware of it, I suppose. We'll give a bit of time for things to simmer over, and then consult with Prince Owen on our course of action." Adele concluded with a sigh, as she made herself comfortable upon the grass.

With orders given, Owen allowed himself some time away from the group. He quickly found the shadow of a tree to sit by, giving himself the only true alone time he'd have in a while. Haah... I can't believe this. A long sigh felt like it relieved a lingering weight on his heart, if only for the moment. And to think Dettard is fully intent on making attempts at my life now. Father learned of this too late. Maybe if I had took upon it myself... The notion made the prince bring a hand to rest his forehead. The thought was recurring and tiring.

Soon enough, I'll have to. If I give too much credit to my vassals, this will just happen again. I respect Father, but... Owen laid his back against the tree, weighed down by his own thoughts. There's Dettard, and then there's Count Alleun's problem with taxes. I could've done better when I spoke to him, perhaps if I were more tactful... Owen's thoughts dulled and he closed his eyes, taking the weariness of battle in and trying to gain the least bit of comfort leaning against that tree.

"...Gah!!" Owen shot up, glancing at each side as the torpor of sleep faded. He'd fallen asleep for only a few minutes, a fact thankfully realized quick, but his blood still felt frozen over what could have been. "I can't believe I slipped like that..." He mumbled under his breath, rubbing his face back to something presentable. Owen returned to the group, quickening his step before his presence would be missed.

"Alright, Lionel! That should be enough time, get the others ready, we'll depart as soon as I confirm with Adele." Owen made the passing comment as he walked over to the bridge, quick to spot his own sister, Adele, and Jeeves.

"Ah, we should be leaving at any moment now. Are your mercenaries ready, Adele? I already gave the command to my vassals." Owen paused, giving himself time to breathe, hopefully not tipping off his sudden haste too much. "It'd be better to reach Baron Dettard's estate sooner than later, I believe. Anything to add?"