Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 1

Shin

"You're a fine post, Angus... Stand there, just like that..." Now, Cassandra was catching her breath after the rush of things, and expected Angus to stay just as she had ordered, since she would most definitely be able to walk over to Jeeves after she'd regained a bit of her strength!

Alas.

She hadn't expected to be hushed, let alone touched in any manner, so as Angus made to pick her up, a red flourish spread over her face, and she squirmed, weakly, in his arms. What is this? What is he doing!? What!? "P-Put me down!" she quietly exclaimed, making a worried face up at him, double taking between his arms and his face. "Angus! I-I order you to p-p-put, me down!" What is this baby talk, as well!? I am no child! Do not treat me so, injured or not! She was incredibly frustrated and confused, not entirely sure if this was awful or if it was the worst thing. What she did know is that it reminded her of how she felt whilst arguing with Sidney and that was aggravating.

"A-Angus, you will be rrrrr-reprimanded, for this! T-Touching your Princess in such a manner!" She was still quiet, despite her tone, obviously trying to seem stronger than the wounds had left her. As quickly as the experience had started, it was over, Cassandra being set down on the ground in front of Jeeves and Adele. She looked down in further embarrassment, not sure quite what to say to the butler or her best friend. She scowled back at Angus as he left, sticking her tongue out. Next in line after Owen or not, she was still young, and the gesture felt right. "I hope that b-bear eats you!" she barked as loudly as she could, seeing where Angus was heading off to.

With a big sigh and hands covering her face, she peeked up at Jeeves. "Hello... Jeeves. I would, er... Appreciate it i-if you could, tend to my wounds... And all, that..." Gods be damned Angus I will get you back for this...

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the time Doug reemerged from the forest, the battle was already over. While the rider hid had taken cover, he bandaged his burn with some spare bandages from his supply. He walked his pegasus to Niko, hoping that his little blowup was all but forgotten. As he walked, he saw the others tending to their own wounds. Claire was getting assistance from Gerard; it probably wasn't a good time to talk to her. Then some soldiers were talking to the royals. It seemed like they would be bolstering their ranks. It seemed needed, considering how beat up everyone was.

"Wonder who those guys are," Doug said to Niko. "I hope we're not getting replaced..."

Owen's face turned pale at the sight of his sister nearly collapsing against the mage's fire. Owen stepped forward but couldn't even help past the mines. Angus intervened, to the prince's relief, but it did not alleviate the bitterness of inaction.

Owen kept his sights on Cassandra as she was carried away, but only for long enough to be interrupted by Sidney, bringing fairly valid questions. "We are in his territory; his manse shouldn't be a day's travel away. Nevertheless, he's managed to worn us out. I hadn't expected this aggression from him; I doubt there'll be any diplomacy left at this point, to be blunt." Owen turned to face Sidney, letting out a sigh. "Even if he welcomes us to his estate, we should expect a trap. I'll have to ask you to stay on your wits."

"Fear not, Prince. You can always depend on me to be alert," Sidney claimed proudly. "Whatever the Baron has in store for us, we can be prepared to find out what's really going on with this whole thing." And that'll be the fun part! "I'm sure I'll have plenty to handle when we arrive at this manse. If he's willing to employ the use of traps, I have no doubt it won't be enough to simply waltz into his home, either. It won't be a problem, of course- I can handle myself just fine. We'll get in, no problem."

She watched the princess's small predicament, snickering and leaning against a tree. "Well, well... looks like I'm not even the least favorite anymore! Score one for Sid, none for the self-righteous runt on a pony. Haha!" She put her hands behind her head as if to relax a bit, but found herself wincing at the motion. "Ooh, that stings... nearly got through without a scratch this time- some mage caught me right at the end. How unlucky..."

Niko had walked away from the group in frustration at the near miss and the way the mage had talked down to him. As if he was a child who had no control over his powers! He hadn't even noticed the newcomers until Doug pointed them out. Glancing over at them, he shook his head. "No, they're not going to replace us, don't worry. Your skill on your pegasus alone makes you worth keeping. And besides, it looks like they're here for the prince and his knight. We've been hired by the Lady, so we should be fine."

Zadkiel nodded. "It would be our pleasure to support your cause, Lord Lionel. If there is anything at all you require of us, we shall oblige."

Ermin and Andromeda seemed to be keeping quiet, allowing Zadkiel to do the talking. Ermin eyed the group curiously, seemingly pleased with what he could see.

----

The cub took kindly to Angus' offer, quickly approaching the apple and water. Sniffing the apple cautiously, it began pawing at it and eventually taking a taste test. It didn't appear to mind Angus' presence too much, although its eyes turned to the body of its kin every couple of moments.

----

The butler turned to face Cassandra, still looking rather worse for wear. Attempting to maintain his usual cool composure, he held out his staff. "As you request, your majesty. I shall tend to your wounds." he replied, still wincing from his pain.

It was but a few moments before Cassandra's wounds began to close, the lacerations from the blasts of wind drawing together. Jeeves' hand trembled as he held the staff in place, but he completed the casting nonetheless.

"That should resolve any discomfort you have, your highness." Jeeves added, replacing the staff on his belt. "Such spells can be potent in certain situations, I would only recommend facing them directly with a great deal of support."

Now that was what she needed. The healing aura washed over her immediately, closing her wounds and calming her mind, sharp pains turning into nothing more than quiet pulsing where she had been hit. With a large sigh of relief, Cass collected herself and stood. "Thank you, Jeeves~ I would've been so out of it without that. Not that it fixed everything..."

Looking down, Cass was rather depressed by the state of her dress. Tears everywhere, her shirt underneath popping out of some of them. "At least my brasier isn't hanging out of any of this... not that I'd be surprised if it had happened. I'll have to steal some clothes from Dettard's mansion once we're done with him. Alas..."

But that wasn't all that was important. "Jeeves, you do know you're shaking, yes? Are you going to be alright? I know how to work a staff as well. Can I help you?" Either way, she'd be doing the rest of the healing around the group until he was feeling better, or at least looked it.

"He's been having problems, as of late. With his age catching up to him, it looks as though his heart is... not at it's best." Adeltrudis replied, helping Jeeves to stand as he closed Cassandra's wounds.

"I don't like to ask this of you, Cass... but do you think you could handle the rest of our wounded, for now? I feel he needs a rest... as for your clothing, well... they're not quite so lavish as what you're used to, but I did bring some extra clothing for the road. Our sizes should not be so different that they'd pose any problems." Adele continued, reaching over and giving Cassandra's shoulder a friendly squeeze, before faking a frightened expression, and then smirking.

"Unless you plan to have me hung, for touching you in such a manner, hmm?"

Jeeves stayed quiet as Adele explained the butler's woes to Cass. He prepared to raise his staff again, but his lady seemed intent on him taking it easy for now.

"Whilst I appreciate the gesture, your highness, I fear that such a healing staff would not aid my condition. However, I can confirm that Lady Adeltrudis has several dresses that may be appropriate for you to borrow. They have both been cleaned and ironed only days before we set out. I hope they will be to your liking."

Angus sets the waterskin on the ground, surprised at how receptive the orphan cub is. He croons at the cub and ever-so-slowly extends his arm--normally he wouldn't be so forward, but the only shot at this strange little opportunity would require it to be carried almost immediately. "It's all right, no need to spook. Let's see if you've got an itch behind that ear, eh~?"

"Oh, Jeeves... Alright, this is an order from Wyke's princess! You are not to heal anyone, unless I am not around, and it is dire! Your well being is worth far more than my having to run around and play nurse. Is that understood? I can't have you dying on Adele and Graham." Cass folded her arms and nodded, hoping it was well understood. "I would be glad to relieve Jeeves of duty and help the rest of the wounded~ You've not to worry. Clothes would also be good! I'm not exposed, here, but the shirt's definitely torn, underneath. I can feel it in places. It's a bit awkward. Sooner rather than later would be most preferable."

Adele placed a hand on Cass' shoulder, to which she smiled, rolled her eyes, and scoffed at the joke. "Oh, you. You know that yourself, Owen and Graham are all free to be as friendly as you wish. It's just... Hmmm. It's just... Odd. When someone like Angus does it. Perhaps I am too used to giving him orders, and having that be the entire relationship. He is my favorite squire, after all. Always listens, does his best, isn't afraid to be a bit cheeky. Not that he should get off for this transgression scot-free, no, no. I'll figure something out, later." She nodded, arms remaining folded, finally smiling.

"I am sure they will be, Jeeves! Now, take a moment to collect yourself, and relax, as best as you can. I shall see to the wounded. Adeltrudis, would you accompany me? It would be lovely to have you as back up in case that upstart thief decides to get snippy, or something."

Edited by Snake Mom

"As friendly as I wish, huh? Be careful what you wish for." Adeltrudis replied with a smirk, giving Cassandra a light smack on the small of her back, just north of her backside. Retreating her hand after a moment and giving her longtime friend a teasing grin, Adele began looking over the battleground.

"Well, we can look at that stuff once the wounded are taken care of. It's a tad more dire, at the moment, as none of your bits are hanging out at present. And not to worry, I'll come with you, to make sure you aren't snatched up or groped by anyone unwelcome to advance in such a way. Before that, though, Jeeves, do you need a hand getting anywhere in particular, or will you be alright keeping to yourself and resting for now?"

Cassandra blushed faintly but still smiled as Adele teased her boundaries. It felt a tad awkward, but her friend meant well, and she wanted to joke around. Cass rolled her eyes lightly and carried her smile as she started to walk away. "Meet me at your mercenaries, then, once you're sure Jeeves is fine. I have to speak to that brash Niko fellow, and his companion suffered a rather harsh burn before we wiped the rest of those mages out. I shall attend to them first, and see who else requires aid!"

Cass made a half wave, finally noticing the new men as she walked off. They bore banners of the Kylander family, which meant Lionel's family had brought help. Now that raised her spirit, putting a small spring in her step. With it, she came upon Niko and Doug, clearing her throat. "Hello, sir Niko, sir Doug! I'd like a word, but first." She brandished her staff and immediately began working on the poor rider's burn. "We can't leave that sitting like it is. Now, whilst I take care of that, Niko," she began, tone turning more stern. "While I do understand it was part of some plan to aid Angus in his defeat of the mage, do take care to properly ask before snatching away someone's axe. I am a princess; there are procedures to follow..."

Her face brighted a bit, and she smiled. "That said, I am quite pleased with the aptitude you and Doug have shown. And almost jealous of his attire as well," she said, losing the stern tone entirely, going as far as giggling. "I won't berate you for it, but I must say it is odd to see a man in a skirt atop a pegasus." With that said, she finished healing his burn, to the best of her abilities. "There. Does that feel better? And you, Niko." She started healing his far less awful wounds.

Edited by Snake Mom

Niko grimaced as the princess began lecturing him. The worst part was he knew she was right but he really didn't want to be dealing with it right now. As she started to heal his wounds, he could only think Yeah, this isn't the wound I'm concerned about. Care more about my wounded pride with that stupid mage... ugh. He sighed and nodded though. "I understand. I apologize. I suppose I am more used to the mercenary group ways where weapons are swapped around as needed. But I must say... You risked yourself extremely in that fight. Despite my words with him... He was a strong mage. You risked your life attacking him like that. You must know that we are here to protect you and your brother and yet you both came far too close to dying this battle. Please just... allow the rest of us to do our job in the future. I understand that you feel the need to fight, but perhaps simply choose your battles more wisely in the future, or allow others to weaken your foes first until you grow more accustomed to the flow of battle."

Cass leveled her eyes on Niko for a moment, and what could've been described as a scowl appeared on her face, but it left as quickly as it came. She donned her smile again, nodding. "Perhaps. But what fun is an adventure without a little excitement? In the end, I am fine, and all I have lost is a dress. I find that worth the exchange. You may disagree, and I will not be upset if you, or one of my vassals," well, Owen's, but whatever, "decides to step in to a fight... That said, I will not stop myself from putting these cretins back where they belong. In the dirt. Even if I come close to meeting my maker, as it were. All done, by the way~" With a ginger curtsy, Cass pulled her staff back, examining the wounds on both of them. "Splendid. Perhaps, aside from fighting, this journey will be worth the magic training. The head maid would ground me for a week straight if I became lax on using this instrument."

Doug felt his physical burn go away while Cass delivered an emotional one. It was a sensitive subject...and yet, there was some pride in making the princess even a little jealous of his attire. That meant he looked better than royalty! He was pulling this off!

He would never mention this to anyone. Ever.

"Well, pegasi only let women ride. But Oldtimer is mostly blind and deaf. He can't tell the difference if I wear this. Trust me, I tried everything else..."

Jeeves nodded obediently, he knew better than to directly oppose royalty. It pained Jeeves to stand aside, but even he knew when his own body was failing him. "As you wish, your highness. I shall rest until we are ready to continue on. If there is anything else you require of me, I am at yours, and Lady Adeltrudis', service."

Edited by Shin

Niko quietly sighed. "It's true that you were lucky. This time. But this is not an adventure. These battles can be life or death. They should not be something that you're treating as a game. I..." He stopped and closed his eyes for a second, before continuing, "I apologize. I should not question the judgement of a princess." Even if she's being an idiot. "All I will say is that I will try and do a better job at keeping you safe in the future. Had I done my job properly, he would have never gotten the chance to kill you."

Gerrard had, as what might as well be considered the norm for him by now, silently been watching over the group, ready to act if something went awry. He noticed Claire's approach and by the time she had asked her question already had his vulnerary out. "Of course. Here, give me your arm," he said as he popped the cork off his vulnerary and began gently applying it to Claire's arm. A moment later and he was done. "That's about all I can do for you... Unless you want a sling?"

"Very well, Jeeves, make sure to rest up. I shall catch up with Princess Cassandra... if you find yourself in need of anything, do let me know." Adeltrudis noted to the elderly butler, before walking off the same direction Cass had, earlier. Catching up to her, still in conversation with Niko, Adele quickly moved in next to them, interjecting, as the tone seemed rather... unpleasant.

"Ah, good to see you hadn't gotten too far, Cassandra. And as for you two, Niko and Doug, excellent work out there."

"Ahahaha~" Cassandra let out a hearty laugh at Doug's explanation of why he was in a skirt. "At least you can pull it off~ I would hate to see some of our more gruff members trying to do your job, Doug. I hope you carry on in your days, wearing skirts and flying horses."

And finally, Niko was starting to see things her way! "I'm glad you're coming to terms with this. I do promise that if it was 'luck', then I shall be 'lucky' as many times as need be, until I have returned home. I see it as a calculated risk, myself~ And do trust that I am not treating this like a game. I realize that, as unlikely as it is, I may die, if I fight an opponent of higher skill... We just haven't run into any of those, yet."

She chuckled and folded her arms again, smiling. It was almost a haughty grin, but she felt Niko would have more to say if she was too smug about it all. Her condescension, however... "You have apologized and have promised to do your job, so I see no reason to continue to argue, or lecture you further~ I am quite glad that such capable mercenaries are willing to listen. My father has hired some dreadful people in the past, terribly dreadful. I've had more than a dozen of them fired. They were so uncooperative... Well, I suppose I wouldn't be able to fire you, as you don't actually work for me-- nor would I want to! I'm sure Adele is as pleased with your work, as I am~"

Like clockwork, Adele showed up and praised the both of them, Cassandra nodding in agreement. "Are the two of you alright, then? All healed up and ready to fight another day, or whatever people say? There are, unfortunately, others I must attend to. Jeeves is feeling under the weather, and it would be irresponsible of me to let him continue to service in such a state."

Responding to the cub's amicable reaction to his prior advances, Angus reaches just a hair closer, stroking its back. "That's it, we can be chums, can't we?"

As the newly-adopted bear finishes its apple, Angus fishes another one out of his pack, this time bouncing it slightly in his hand, then holding it oh-so-slightly out of reach as he walks back towards the group. "C'mon, now. You don't wanna see this anymore, do ya? I've got someone you need to meet, anyhow."

---

The squire approaches his prince, cub still chasing its treat. As they draw close enough to catch Owen's eye, Angus finally gives the bear its treat, scratching its neck as he explains the situation... if not very eloquently.

"My Lord! I, eh... I seem to have stumbled across quite an... opportunity. I mean, it seems to be at least a tad fond of me, and there might be quite a few possibilities here, especially in the field. By your leave, my Lord, I wish to, ah... bring this cub on campaign, and eventually, back home. My duties come first, of course, b-but should this not interfere, ah..." Angus trails off, enfeebled by the presence of his liege, meekly glancing back down at the bear... his bear.

"Ahahaha~" Cassandra let out a hearty laugh at Doug's explanation of why he was in a skirt. "At least you can pull it off~ I would hate to see some of our more gruff members trying to do your job, Doug. I hope you carry on in your days, wearing skirts and flying horses."

Doug nodded in response, but he was really hoping he wouldn't be spending the rest of his days like this. Perhaps there was some undiscovered mythical flying creature that he could mount. Preferably something that wouldn't rip him apart for trying.

Then their actual boss joined the conversation and complimented the mercs for a job well done.

"Well, that's why we're paid," he said, giving a thumbs up.

The cub circled around Angus curiously, somewhat attached to the young knight. Glancing back at its mother one last time, it followed Angus towards Owen, stopping and watching Owen cautiously.

"Good. I'll be counting on you, then." Owen replied to Sidney, less apprehensive to her boasts. "Dettard's days as a baron are counted, regardless. Once all is done, I'll need to rescind his lands and bring anything valuable back to the castle... but I digress." The prince shrugged, not quite feeling getting stuck on the technicalities after so many threats to his life.

"Oh? You should speak to Jeeves or Cass and have that burn healed." Owen suggested, almost mechanically, once Sidney winced. "Magic can leave more undesired effects than expected. It can be a lack of fortune, indeed." Owen cut his chat short, dismissing without words, and turned around to glance at the newcomers; He noted they bore the crest of Kylander, but that was about as much as he could discern until a bumbling Angus approached and called for his attention.

"...What?" Owen took a bit to understand Angus' point, it couldn't possibly be... it could. "You want to take a bear cub along? Is that it?" Owen looked down to the cub; the creature probably as confused about the situation as the prince. "That... young bear is really following you?" The proposition came out of left field; could bears even be tamed? How does one even go about raising a cub? "Uh... Hrmm. I don't think I ever heard of a bear tamer in Wyke. Can you actually raise it?" Owen brought a hand to the back of his head, scratching; he was befuddled, for once. "Uh..."