Blue Druid's Sprite gallery!

Blue Druid

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colors seem really bright. Not sure if it's because I'm not used to fe8 though. The last two have some slim looking shoulders for the heads they have, and the last one's nose is funky.

Really? they don't seem so bright to me, but maybe that's because I prefer FE8 XD

Biiig improvements over the originals though. (First splices I ever did)

Orius_zpsdvy6fv0y.pngnew%20lorus_zps5scmw0en.pngDamian_zpsplxnefwo.pngdamian%207_zpston0b6u5.png

I never could get his damn nose right :( but I'll try.

I think it's his right eye that's the problem, given the shape of the nose.

The eye is drawn as though the bridge of his nose is blocking it, but the bridge of his nose is nowhere near his eye.

Either that or I'm completely misreading the angle of the face-- trying to see it a different way makes me think his nose is sunken into his jaw, though.

I really like the saturation of these colors, but the icy-blue ike-like hair looks kind of odd to me; and the green feels like it needs more contrast with itself.

Yeah I've been told about that before by a friend who does art, but for some reason I completely forgot about it.

I really like the saturation of these colors, but the icy-blue ike-like hair looks kind of odd to me; and the green feels like it needs more contrast with itself.

Does this look any better? (hopefully you can see it, but I made the bright green brighter and the dark green darker.)

orius_zpstyfogeqm.png

Does this look any better? (hopefully you can see it, but I made the bright green brighter and the dark green darker.)

Yeah. The hair shades still don't look ight to me but I have no idea -why-; it may just be because of the color that it is.

Yeah. The hair shades still don't look ight to me but I have no idea -why-; it may just be because of the color that it is.

I played around with the colours but I didn't like how it turned out. I think it is the colour.

Also, I'd post an update to the guy's nose by now, but I can't get it right :(

I think it just clashes with the green. The colors are definitely more bright/pastel-y than normal fe colors, and I think it clashes with the less extreme hair color. Also, his headband is outlined in dark green instead of outline color.

I think it just clashes with the green. The colors are definitely more bright/pastel-y than normal fe colors, and I think it clashes with the less extreme hair color. Also, his headband is outlined in dark green instead of outline color.

I didn't see the problem with that at first but now it looks soo much better now

orius%202_zpsawommnta.png I also adjusted his hair colour a little.

damianthe%208th_zpsv0gjwafd.pngI guess he looks better now?

loruss_zpsrwwe9suz.pngI also tried to broaden his shoulders a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

eva%20or%20ivalera_zpsxjhnjh2c.png

Altenna?

That swath of outline color inside her armor-- is that supposed to be lack-of-neck? If it is, then her neck is too narrow.

On her left (our right) the switch between the 2nd and 3rd hair colors is too smooth a curve. It doesn't match with the froofy-appearing 1rst-to-2nd transition.

merc_zpszhlulfd4.png

The back (towards the right-hand side of the image) of his neck above the collar shouldn't be visible. The skull tucks inward and he's pretty close to profile view; I would pull in the collar 3-6 pixels.

maria_zpsm39orqmy.pngmaria%20angry_zpsauobqzqf.png

So there's a big splotch of the 5th? skin tone in her hair and I can't think that was intentional because it looks really drat weird, like her face is blurring onto her hair.

Something looks off on the right-most portion of her hair below the feather; the way that the locks overlap just looks strange to me.

...Why not have ANGRY LIPS to match with ANGRY EYES?

Edited by Eliwan

Altenna?

No... *looks around suspiciously*. Altenna was an inspiration though, yes.

That swath of outline color inside her armor-- is that supposed to be lack-of-neck? If it is, then her neck is too narrow.

I'd answer, but I don't know what a swath or lack-of-neck is. X(

Would you care to define them please?

On her left (our right) the switch between the 2nd and 3rd hair colors is too smooth a curve. It doesn't match with the froofy-appearing 1rst-to-2nd transition.

Really? And I was proud of the smoothness X(

The back (towards the right-hand side of the image) of his neck above the collar shouldn't be visible. The skull tucks inward and he's pretty close to profile view; I would pull in the collar 3-6 pixels.

post-9443-0-26188200-1460835026.png

Maybe something like this does it?

So there's a big splotch of the 5th? skin tone in her hair and I can't think that was intentional because it looks really drat weird, like her face is blurring onto her hair.

You mean the grey colour? Well, it was originally a darker shade of the hair colour, but it had to be replaced because of the palette limitation.

Something looks off on the right-most portion of her hair below the feather; the way that the locks overlap just looks strange to me.

You have a good eye, because I lazily drew that part from scratch.

...Why not have ANGRY LIPS to match with ANGRY EYES?

B-but how does one go about making angry lips?

Edited by Blue Druid

I'd answer, but I don't know what a swath or lack-of-neck is. X(

Would you care to define them please?

oh

a swath is "a broad piece".

Really? And I was proud of the smoothness X(

It is a pretty nice curve--but it doesn't match with the curliness right above it. It makes it look like only part of the hair is fluffy!

And knowing what my sister's hair looks like, the bottom part of hair does not mystically become noncurly just because there are layers of hair pushing down on it.

MX53shh.png

Blue: Swath of outline that makes her neck look too narrow

Green: Blob of outline that makes me have difficulty interpreting HOW too narrow her neck is, and how tight her armor is supposed to be

Purple: the curliness of the hair that has no reciprocation by the 2nd shade below

attachicon.gifmerc.png

Maybe something like this does it?

yes

very very nicely

You mean the grey colour? Well, it was originally a darker shade of the hair colour, but it had to be replaced because of the palette limitation.

i admit

i didn't count colors

it still looks odd

you could probably get away without the first green color, especially if you shifted the blue colors to be slightly more green in their first shades

You have a good eye, because I lazily drew that part from scratch.

go draw it better then :V

B-but how does one go about making angry lips?

with great difficulty

aess8X6.png

maybe like that, opening the mouth all the way it can like she's shouting?

also, image has a 4th hair shade but still (mostly) looks like the two are actually distinct colors and a super derpy attempt at blending the hair locks

(admittedly due to the mini icon you've done (which is still amazing for the record) it becomes obvious that they're actually the same color)

though i shouldn't be trying to edit somebody else's sprites when they're better than any sprite i've done in the last month

post-9443-0-68230800-1460871273.png

OH MY GOD THE HAIR LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER NOW

I think I fixed the swath problem but started a new one with the armour...

yes
very very nicely

aess8X6.png

maybe like that, opening the mouth all the way it can like she's shouting?

Thanks, for the edit, it's very much appreciated! The angry mouth is badass!

also, image has a 4th hair shade but still (mostly) looks like the two are actually distinct colors and a super derpy attempt at blending the hair locks
(admittedly due to the mini icon you've done (which is still amazing for the record) it becomes obvious that they're actually the same color)
Well, better that than to have grey all over her hair. And thanks! I've adopted using this mini sigil for my mugs because I don't like making mini portraits. Anyone can use it if they want. post-9443-0-98932600-1460871561.png

OH MY GOD THE HAIR LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER NOW

yay

now do more curls with color2 (maybe a few texels of color1) in your gigantic color3 areas.

I think I fixed the swath problem but started a new one with the armour...

nah.

you just didn't use your third red as much as you could have:

MVEMl4f.gif

(note that this is probably actually -too much- use of the third red, i was just putting it where it would fit)

Do you make your own palettes or use GBA colours? Because the colours you use seem very... saturated?

I make them most of completely from scratch. I use FE8's outline colour, and for grey I use 11-8-8. But do you mean that in a bad way?

nah.

Yay!

(note that this is probably actually -too much- use of the third red, i was just putting it where it would fit)

Fun fact, that's actually the 4th red. The first red is only a few pixels in her eyes.

post-9443-0-23982600-1460883102.png

Also, I'm thinking of dumping the earrings.

Edited by Blue Druid

I make them most of completely from scratch. I use FE8's outline colour, and for grey I use 11-8-8. But do you mean that in a bad way?

Sort of, I think that you should use GBA colours and a FE7 outline, as the skin tone you use is more similar to the FE7 skin colours than FE8

Edited by CobyTheGoober

Sort of, I think that you should use GBA colours and a FE7 outline, as the skin tone you use is more similar to the FE7 skin colours than FE8

Well, it's a personal preference, really. I sort of tried to blend the two skin colours of fe7 and fe8. That being said, I do tend to make my palettes a bit too sautrated at times, so I'll try to balance them more.

Edited by Blue Druid