Playing order for GBA Fire Emblems

Lantairu

A friend said FE6. And that's what I did.

start with fe6, if only so you're not spoiled when you come back to it after 7/8's huge aesthetic improvements :P

I'm hearing people say FE6, but doesn't FE7 come first chronologically? Or does it matter?

I'm hearing people say FE6, but doesn't FE7 come first chronologically? Or does it matter?

Technically, FE6 came first chronologically. It was developed first. FE7 may be a prequel to FE6 but you should still play FE6 first. It doesn't spoil much of FE7's story either IIRC.

All up to you.

FE6 takes place after FE7, and FE7 is specifically designed so it can be played either before or after FE6.

There are a couple little easter eggs for people who played FE6. A few characters make minor appearances, some chapters take place in the same areas, and there are a couple of nods to the story. To give a simple, non spoilery example, at the end of the game, Eliwood asks you to name his child. This is, of course, in reference to the fact that you already know his son's name, Roy. Hector also says that he's certain his child will be a boy. If you played FE6, you'd know that he has a daughter.

One of the major things in deciding, though, is the backstory added in FE7. There's one character in particular that has an extremely interesting backstory shown in FE7, but there's quite a few. Playing FE7 first will have you see these characters as what they originally were originally, and then see how they changed.

Playing FE6 first will let you see the characters as they were originally created, and then see what they were before and how they became the way they are. FE7 was made afterwards, so some parts were clearly made to provide insight on why things you've already seen happened.

Also, in FE6, numerous playable characters are the children of characters in FE7. So that's interesting no matter which you start with. It does add to making the games one continuous story, though. In addition to that, quite a few plot points continue in FE6, and FE7 specifically alludes to these.

One more thing to note is that FE6 is much harder than FE7 and also has much less gameplay variety. So keep that in mind.

So overall, it depends on what you'd prefer. Having characters established as they are and seeing specifically made backstories for them afterwards, seeing characters as they were originally and then watching them develop into what they become, or playing one continuous story. If you'd prefer the first, go with FE6 first. For either of the other two, go with FE7 first.

there's one advantage to playing 6 first: knowing its story and what zephiel became upon growing up really adds to fe7's bern arc, imo. everything that happens to zephiel in fe7 becomes a lot more horrifying with this knowledge

there's one advantage to playing 6 first: knowing its story and what zephiel became upon growing up really adds to fe7's bern arc, imo. everything that happens to zephiel in fe7 becomes a lot more horrifying with this knowledge

That's actually one of the biggest reasons I feel like FE7 should at least be considered first

i played fe6 first but never finished it, though after playing through fe7 i really liked the backstory it gives to zephiel

he was the one particular character i was referring to

Edited by maybe

7 first. It's first chronologically, the tutorial is fucking agonising, and it didn't make so many improvements over 6 that 6 is hard to play after it.

7 first. It's first chronologically, the tutorial is fucking agonising, and it didn't make so many improvements over 6 that 6 is hard to play after it.

That's why I decided to save FE7 for later upon getting 2 chapters in. The tutorial really sucks.