Staff of Ages (SoAXNA v0.1 out now!)

InvdrZim13

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet. I'll be checking it out tomorrow.

Obviously the intent is to start from a fresh rom (and I have to in my case: Mac only has one patching tool for ROMs atm and it won't let you patch a file multiple times), but if somebody wanted to apply the patch to the old version just to quickly try out the new maps would it be possible? Or is fresh rom required?

Sweet. I'll be checking it out tomorrow.

Obviously the intent is to start from a fresh rom (and I have to in my case: Mac only has one patching tool for ROMs atm and it won't let you patch a file multiple times), but if somebody wanted to apply the patch to the old version just to quickly try out the new maps would it be possible? Or is fresh rom required?

I haven't tried it so I don't know if it's possible but I'd recommend just patching a clean ROM since 1.1 is the version future versions are going to be built on.

Righto. On Belle's first chapter. Liking the story changes so far. Noticed the one less reinforcement at the top during the first chapter.

However, Belle's personal weapon? Suffering the Short Axe glitch from the last patch. Only info I have is Prf/1 Range/5 Wt. Stat wise it seems to be working fine: its 1 more Mt than the Iron Sword, 5 more hit and crit, her stats didn't plummet using it in battle or anything like that.

EDIT:

Also uh, Aurora ran up to Saywer and somehow started a battle with no weapon. O_o And then the green units killed her.

EDIT2: Retried the map, she ran up to a green unit, started a battle, got hit. Other phase started, green unit killed her. Green unit had moved to attack an enemy the previous turn, putting him in her range. This is uh, kinda a problem.

Edited by TheNiddo

At 1-7, the chest that contains a Heal, doesn't register as an opened chest, so you can pretty much obtain as many Heals as Lockpick you may have at the moment.

Other than that, pretty good hack so far.

Ah, damnit. Knew I forgot something.

Well I was able to get around the Aurora issue by having Eagle rescue the green unit and then pull back. She didn't turn green until the start of Turn 5 however. Is that normal? It was pretty dicey by the time that event finally triggered and I remember it being sooner than that before.

Hrm, I never had that problem in the previous version. I was nearby within turn 3. If anything waiting that long is causing me problems (though the whole "Aurora is now suicidal" bug is probably the main issue. That and trying to keep the green units from attacking her that long).

Another minor bug report: on chapter 5 the archer on screen during the cutscene will have the ! icon over his head that you get when deciding the move of a flying unit. It stays there until you get control and click on one of your units.

I believe that's just an issue with the effective weapon warning hack that circles has done, I'm not sure if he has a fix in the works yet or not.

At least the hp bars are functional

Here's another bug for ya

My game froze after killing Regina. Stark got a level up, froze mid animation, so his sprite is facing the screen right now. But the other units are doing their idle animations and the music is still playing.

EDIT: reloaded the stat and tried again with a different character. Froze. Turned off animations and tried again. Still froze.

Edited by TheNiddo

I uh, don't know if I can due to being on a Mac and running OpenEmu. I tired to do that for Midnight Sun and it was a no go. I'll give it a try again though.

EDIT: .....that could be because I'm many many many versions behind without realizing it when it comes to OpenEmu. Newest is 2.0.2 or something like that. I was on 1.0.3. Whoops.

EDIT2: Didn't fix the freeze, didn't change how savestates were made.

Edited by TheNiddo

I uh, don't know if I can due to being on a Mac and running OpenEmu. I tired to do that for Midnight Sun and it was a no go. I'll give it a try again though.

EDIT: .....that could be because I'm many many many versions behind without realizing it when it comes to OpenEmu. Newest is 2.0.2 or something like that. I was on 1.0.3. Whoops.

EDIT2: Didn't fix the freeze, didn't change how savestates were made.

I believe I figured out why it's freezing. It was checking to see if that archer that's near her was alive, and hiding him if he was, since the bastard will persist and show up in the cutscene if he's alive. The check wasn't working and causing the game to hang, so I just move the archer more to the right.

Edited Patch 1.1 to reflect changes

- Aurora doesn't attack people now (the fix I've done isn't ideal but it'll work till we figure out why she's doing it).

- The Epee's description has been fixed.

- 1-8 no longer freezes when you kill Regina.

- Chest with the heal staff in 1-7 now properly opens once you unlock it

Let me know if you find anything else!

Edited by InvdrZim13

Mini-bug report. After finishing 1-8 where the game used to cut you off, it will briefly show the castle background with greenery in front for convos, and black text in the upper left corner will say "a short range fire spell" or something close to that effect. Lasts only half a second.

EDIT: And then it plays 1-9 by just throwing you into the map, with only two enemies. I uh, don't think this version was supposed to keep going?

Edited by TheNiddo

FEditor is a shit program that erases your text entries and replaces them with other things.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vzkst5ip5mtq931/Staff_of_Ages_v1.1.ups

Hopefully this version doesn't throw you into the unfinished 1-9 and actually sends you back to the titlescreen lol

I have special access! Nobody else can preview this map but me!

That also explains why the houses didn't work. And why some the textures looked off. Totally didn't take me 3-4 turns to realize what was going on.

Anyhow, this does let me have an easier time comparing my characters as now I have access to a prep screen. It would be handy to have the updated growths on hand (assuming those made this cut).

Owen vs Sawyer: Poor Sawyer. Sawyer was one level behind, and only beating Owen in Luck and Res by a few points. Owen was tied or ahead of him in everything else. With the Strength Ring, Sawyer had.... 7 magic, 8 skill. The 11 speed was nice... but Owen had 12. While having 14 magic.

Eagle vs Charles: this time Eagle was better by a fair margin overall, though Charles had a significant lead in strength and HP, while only being behind in speed by one point. Charles was still able to tank a bit, but 6 defence at level 9 wasn't cutting it well, either was 6 skill. Even so, because of where they were close and where Charles had the advantage I'd actually say the two were.... almost even in value. I suspect I just got a tad defence screwed on Charles.

Oona vs Aurora: Both got crap level ups the whole way through. Oona still kinda dominates Aurora despite having noticeably less magic. Oona was crushing Aurora in speed and luck, and then having the horse and light magic on top of it. There was a two level difference, but that wouldn't have changed much in their comparison if Aurora had caught up.

Darius vs Axel: Hopefully I'm not misremembering things but I'm pretty sure you changed some of the caps between these two and it looks a lot better with what I got. Darius got strength and defence at least with every level up, Axel got mainly speed, skill, and luck.

Belle was pretty decent if slightly fragile (which is fine). Elijah only got HP and Strength for his two level ups. Grace didn't get to level up much, so she's still currently sitting as a weak glass cannon. Stark was what I expected.

---

As I said before I like the story changes, they help to tie up some of the previous issues. Looking forwards to the next chapter. Might wanna give that new unit some better stats though. Like I get why their stats are they way they are, but another party member is still currently most likely dominating them. Also might be a tad of overkill in that particular department of weapon usage.

The growth doc I linked who knows when before is up to date for growths. I'll have to put a link to it in the OP.

Yeah I'll have to buff that new unit, they need a few more points in some stats.

Edited by InvdrZim13

Oooooh growth rates are up!

1) It pretty much confirms I just had a blessed Owen and screwed Sawyer, which is good to know.

2) Eagle having more strength is good... even if I find the fact that he gets more Res than Def baffling. I mean I noticed he was getting an oddly high amount of Res for a cavalier but I didn't expect that to actually be planned. I was thinking he had like, 30% Def, 25% Res. Huh. That uh, puts Owen in a very weird spot where he's the one getting the most defence for his group until Darius joins. Very weird but it certainly wasn't crippling early game. Guess we'll have to see how that pans out in the completed game.

Unless of course that was mistyped because he has the exact same growths as Saywer on the sheet atm. That could be the case.

3) I see what's being attempted with Oona and Aurora growth wise. I again, don't know if that's going to pan out well enough to keep Aurora competitive during the time she has no weapon but we'll have to see.

4) Yay Charles has a noticeable Def growth! At least noticeable for this hack, only character with more than 35% is Darius. Which I do find weird as cavaliers are normally the second best physical tanks in FE. Still his growths are... almost identical to Eagle's. Only difference is in Def/Res assuming the ones currently posted for Eagle are correct. Huh. If that is the case I'd think dropping his speed a tad to 40% and using it to bump up Strength and Defence by 10% each would add some more variance between the two. Lets Charles be the Darius to Eagle's Axel. They are perfectly functional as is however if those are Eagle's real growths, just a suggestion for variety's sake.

5) Not entirely sure why Grace is getting the Oona treatment total growth rate wise, being the only other character below 280% total. Still if she's supposed to be a glass cannon the current growths are probably fine. I'm slightly worried about how she compares to Marques but I think the 15% edge in Strength and better promoted class will keep her ahead.

6) Liking the balance I see between Darius and Axel: Axel is the all-rounder with a slight leaning to Skill/Speed over Def/Res. Darius hits things hard and face tanks physical stuff. As the comparison between the two should be.

Overall certainly an improvement over the last patch, with one mystery that might be due to misreading while typing up a new row and one where I'll just have to wait and see for how it looks later on in the game.