Lester or Faval? Who should I use in this run?

Arthur Freege

There is no reason not to use both. Faval in particular will always be one of your best soldiers (he has great stats, and Yewfelle is that good), while Lester is a decent fighter (unless you gave him a mage father) and, importantly, cavalry.

Edited by Parrhesia

Faval's stats are overall better even without Yewfelle, yes

But Lester does have that horse, and functions perfectly fine with his own stats

Really, just use both, there's no deploy limit and too much exp in FE4 there's no reason not to use both if you like both of them

Lester's father wants to be either Midir or Jamka, though, due to Hero Bow inheritance

Lester's availability, access to a hero bow, and the fact that he has a horse, makes him better than Faval efficient wise. With Jamka his skill growth will plummet and he has no pursuit, so don't even bother.

Faval will always be good thanks to Ichival, and his stats will be better thanks to major holy blood, but once again, no horse, and joins 2 chapters later, where Lester will get a lot more levels.

I don't know why you would use just one in Fe4, but if that's the parameters; as long as you are using one of the higher damage characters, Aless, Levin!Sety or Serlis, I would say go ahead and use Lester. Lester has better availability and a horse, always helpful.

In terms of who should father him, Midir is the standard choice due to good skills, pursuit and charge, and instant inheritance of both good non-Yewfelle bows, killer and brave. Personally, I prefer to make Jamke his father, mostly for story reasons, it just feels wrong to me to leave poor Lester landless, but Lester is pretty scary with the pursuit ring, who else uses it other than Leif, a skill ring and the killer bow. That's a pretty scary skill combo, pursuit, continue, charge, and critical.

If you are willing to let him use an iron bow in chapter 6, and a steel bow in chapter 7 (as long as Briggid's steel bow isn't inherited), any physical father with pursuit can be a decent father for Lester. Fin is probably the best alternative, Lana will max magic with her Fin conversation, and Lester will have good skills, pursuit and prayer and a good spectrum of growths.

Edited by Zasplach

Why would you just use one? It's not like there's a penalty for deploying both (or everyone, for that matter). Do you just prefer to field one bow user?

Either way, Faval hits like a truck due to Ichival and statistically is hard to screw up, but IMO Lester is better due to having a horse, being around from the start, also getting great inheritance with the Brave Bow and Killer Bow, and did I mention the horse? (To kind of have an actual last item, Lester is generally better at doing his job because along with moving greater distances, FE4's broken Canto means he can move far away after attacking someone, meaning he has less trouble on enemy phase than Faval generally will.) The one sort-of-weakness I can think of Lester having is that you have to be pickier with his dad, as his options to be great are basically just Midir and Jamke, while Faval can deal with pretty much anyone aside from the mages. (Dew, Holyn, Jamke, Beowulf, Lex, Noish...)

Really, though, I don't have a recommendation for either. They're both great units that tend to be outclassed by balls-bustingly broken ones, so if you're going to use only one, just use the one you like better.

Edited by TheCosmicDude

Lester works fine with just about anyone with Pursuit as his dad, but it's silly to use anyone but Midir because of all the conveniences of the Hero Bow. Charge is appreciated too. Faval kinda gets left behind in Horse Emblem. Ichieval makes him impossible to screw up combat-wise so usually pairings focus on trying to make Patty better, for instance through Lex, Holyn or Dew.

Use both unless you're looking at pure efficiency. Lester may have availability and Canto but Faval is tanky enough to take damage plus the Yewfelle restores his health between turns. And depending on what your bred Lana for, Lester may turn into a liability. Midayle!Lester gets Hero Bow inheritance and is good for early chapters but I found Finn!Lester to be more useful lategame thanks to Miracle and a solid statline.

I wouldn't use Jamke and his lousy SKL to breed either of them, though. Yewfelle is no good if Faval can't actually hit anything plus Jamke!Patty is terribad.