A newcomer on FE7

Nym

So after finishing a playthrough on FE8 ( you don't want to know how many mistakes I made), here I am on FE7.

I have nothing to complaint this time. I just want to know any tips, units I should use/not use, etc.

For example, I heard that you have to level-up Nils to level 7 during Lyn's tale if you want to get a secret chapter (I also heard there is a lot of secret chapters?).

Spoilers or no spoilers, your choice.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm if you level up Sain/Kent enough you can make one a paladin in the last chapter of Lyn's story where you are supposed to promote a guy named Wallace.

And in Hector/Eliwood mode they would start as a paladin

Edited by Manakete Morgan

Use a knight named Oswin he is much better compared to Wallace. And probably the best knight in the series hes sooo goood!

As for character recuitments and the like there is a fortune teller in normal mode that will tell you tips and requirments every chapter for 50 G if I remember correctly.

Edited by JDT001

hmmm if you level up Sain/Kent enough you can make one a paladin in the last chapter of Lyn's story where you are supposed to promote a guy named Wallace.

And in Hector/Eliwood mode they would start as a paladin

Again, not on your first playthrough.

Don't be afraid to use pre-promotes, some of the best units in the game, like Marcus and Pent are pre-promotes.

Also, the unpromoted healers in this game Serra and Priscilla, are suprisingly good attackers once promoted, even with an E-rank in tomes, so again, don't be afraid to use them.

Also, I'm curious, did you enjoy FE8?

EDIT: I totally forgot, but the convoy works a little bit differently in this game, instead of being with the Lord, thte convoy it's a unit of it's own and will be stationary for many chapters so it will require constant protection, so it might be annoying at first, but you'll get used to it.

Edited by Water Mage

Protect Merlinus (the convoy) with one or two units usually. There are occasionally reinforcements that spawn near him. Oswin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wallace. Seriously, that cannot be emphasized enough. You will not get every secret chapter on your first playthrough (unless walkthroughs), so don't freak out. There are some levels that change based on things like Lord levels and promoted unit numbers. Multiple runs. And Hector's mode is way better than Eliwood's but only 2nd playthrough and on :-(.

So much more to be said, but I'll leave that up to other people, or you. Have fun!

Don't be afraid to use pre-promotes, some of the best units in the game, like Marcus and Pent are pre-promotes.

Also, the unpromoted healers in this game Serra and Priscilla, are suprisingly good attackers once promoted, even with an E-rank in tomes, so again, don't be afraid to use them.

Also, I'm curious, did you enjoy FE8?

EDIT: I totally forgot, but the convoy works a little bit differently in this game, instead of being with the Lord, thte convoy it's a unit of it's own and will be stationary for many chapters so it will require constant protection, so it might be annoying at first, but you'll get used to it.

I did. Since it was my first time playing with the gameboy's battle mechanic, it was refreshing for me (Awakening's Pair up is kinda too easy to use) but I still made a ton of mistakes anyway. One day, I will do Ephraim's route but I want to finish FE7 and FE6 (and by the time I finish both games, Fates will probably be out because I can't play all the times now).

But back on FE7, immobile convoy huh? Well not a problem as long there is no reinforcement Wyvern Rider behind me. Wait, what happen if the convoy is destroy, like a normal unit, he will be lost forever?

Edited by Nym

no, Merlinus comes back next chapter if he dies, in both FE6 and FE7. FE7!Merlinus eventually has the stats to not die anyway though.

Actually, Serra starts with a D in Light, but both healers are worth investing in. Since you've played FE before, your first playthrough won't be too incredibly challenging, so use who you like. I wouldn't recommend stressing about efficiency, ranking, or completion either. Make sure you fill the requirements for Chapter 16x, though, so you can recruit Canas, since he'll make lategame bosskills much easier.

I did. Since it was my first time playing with the gameboy's battle mechanic, it was refreshing for me (Awakening's Pair up is kinda too easy to use) but I still made a ton of mistakes anyway. One day, I will do Ephraim's route but I want to finish FE7 and FE6 (and by the time I finish both games, Fates will probably be out because I can't all the times now).

But back on FE7, immobile convoy huh? Well not a problem as long there is no reinforcement Wyvern Rider behind me. Wait, what happen if the convoy is destroy, like a normal unit, he will be lost forever?

He is not lost forever, however you will lose the ability to use the convoy in the chapter and if you have a full inventory but you've lost the convoy you will be forced to discard the item or weapon, so the convoy is important for chapters with lots of chests and villages.

Also the enemy have a nasty habit of spawning reinforcements near the convoy, so always keep at least one unit near the convoy.

By the way fog-of-war chapters in this game tend to be quite merciless... Actually, this game a quite a few maps with merciless gimmicks.

And, sorry if I'm being annoying, but just out of curiosity, what was your endgame team, for FE8?

The Convoy is immobile at first, but he levels up for every chapter you deploy him in (and unlike fe6, he doesn't take up a unit slot to deploy, so no worries there), and after he reaches a certain level (10 iirc, it might be 20) he promotes into a movable unit.

Play through the game once before trying anything fancy. Like maybe said, there are quite a few things you can only do after you've already beaten the game at least once.

This. First playthroughs are easy enough to play through (minus a few chapters, notably certain fog of war ones).

It might just be me, but supports also seem to take far longer than Sacred Stones to get to the next level. Might be so but I also might be crazy so take that with a grain of salt

also Hector is the best axe user ever use no one else I'm totally not bias

He is not lost forever, however you will lose the ability to use the convoy in the chapter and if you have a full inventory but you've lost the convoy you will be forced to discard the item or weapon, so the convoy is important for chapters with lots of chests and villages.

Also the enemy have a nasty habit of spawning reinforcements near the convoy, so always keep at least one unit near the convoy.

By the way fog-of-war chapters in this game tend to be quite merciless... Actually, this game a quite a few maps with merciless gimmicks.

And, sorry if I'm being annoying, but just out of curiosity, what was your endgame team, for FE8?

Here is the team:

Erika: Great lord, lvl 11

Ephriam: Great lord, lvl 9

Tana: Wyvern Knight, lvl 10

Ross: Warrior, lvl 8 (one of the mistakes I made, don't ask me why I promoted him to a fighter instead of a pirate specially since I played Awakening and fighter doesnt not even promote to Berserker in this game too xD)

Neimi: Sniper, lvl 5 (Since she had an A support with Colm, I decided to train her instead of Innes but maybe I will train him next time)

Amelia: Paladin, lvl 10 (Honestly, with the numbers of cavaliers this game gave you, I couldn't really choose so I picked her)

L'Arachel: Valkarie, lvl1 (I had to promote her right at the final chapter, she join soooo late, I couln't lvl up fast enough. I will try Natasha next time)

Ewan: Druid, lvl 5 (For a flip coin, he managed to be really good in my team)

Lute: Sage, lvl 7

Joshua: Swordmaster, lvl 7

Myrrth: Manakete, lvl 19

Colm: Rogue, lvl 5 (With all the sword wielder, I really didn't need him as an Assasin so I promoted him to a Rogue for the utility and he's only a good support for Neimi)

Tethys was also a part to my team but because you can only pick 12 units for the final battle, she didn't make it (as I said, Colm helped Neimi a lot)

One thing I realize about me is that I always save the legendary and rare weapons but I end up barely using them anyway.

Back on FE7 again (I really hope I didn't upset any moderators), good to know about the convoy (imagine if you couldn't have any of your weapons if the convoy die)

Also rain.... euhhhhh XD.

Rain is like the desert, the difference is that the rain is temporary and mages are also affected, but it only appears on early chapters, so don't worry, you actually see very little rain in the game.

Fog-of-war on the other hand...this game looooves fog-of-war. Seriously, there are a lot of fog-of-war chapters, especially compared to FE8.

And the very last fog-of-war map of the game...if you didn't hate fog-of-war before, the last fog-of-war map of this game will make you loathe the very sight of it, or lack thereof.

Granted, fog-of-war it's not the only thing that makes the chapter difficult, but it certaintly doesn't help at all.

This. Absolute truth. Even without the bias.

And the very last fog-of-war map of the game...if you didn't hate fog-of-war before, the last fog-of-war map of this game will make you loathe the very sight of it, or lack thereof.

Yeah, really. It took me so many tries for me on Hector Hard Mode.

And the convoy promotes when he reaches Lv. 21 (or would reach lv 21). Its an auto promote, so don't worry about needing a special item.

Oh yeah, and after a certain point, your main lord auto-promotes, and after that, you get items to promote the other two.

This. Absolute truth. Even without the bias.

Yeah, really. It took me so many tries for me on Hector Hard Mode.

And the convoy promotes when he reaches Lv. 21 (or would reach lv 21). Its an auto promote, so don't worry about needing a special item.

Oh yeah, and after a certain point, your main lord auto-promotes, and after that, you get items to promote the other two.

Main lord promotes after both of them.

Fog of War appears in 3 chapters out of 23 in FE8, and it appears in 5 or 6 chapters out of 40 in FE7 (the first time you play through it, at least), so there aren't that many more Fog of War chapters compared to non-Fog of War chapters in FE7 (about 1 out of 8 for FE8, and about 1 out of 7 for FE7).

I believe that one of those Fog of War chapters in FE7 is generally agreed to be the worst chapter in the game, and certainly more frustrating than anything in FE8, so I can understand Water Mage's frustration; nonetheless, it's a complaint about quality rather than quantity.

To compare this chapter to something from FE8... Imagine a chapter that has a similar map and roster of enemy troops to that of FE8's Chapter 19: Last Hope. Now put a plot-important NPC on the throne, ALL of your units in the northeast corner, and the boss in the southwest corner (who is roughly equivalent to Selena, and also armed with a Bolting). Now put two other NPCs (one having about the same durability as one of those villagers from Chapter 6: Victims of War) on the eastern and western edges of the map.

That's a basic idea of what Battle Before Dawn is like: The most frustrating elements of Victims of War, Fluorspar's Oath, and Last Hope combined.

Edited by Paper Jam

generally agreed to be the worst chapter in the game

It's actually one of the most beloved maps in the series. I haven't seen any Serenes poll on this subject, but whenever the topic of best maps comes up on the FE subreddit BBD is always at or near the top.

if you get the option to do a gaiden chapter, do it. at around chapter 16 or so you'll get the option to do chapter 16x. this is the port of badon. here, you get the only dark magic user in the game, and my god is he good. his name is canas, and it's definetely worth it to train him. Also, in this game you should really wait until level 20 to promote people(especially canas).

Maybe I've exaggerated.

But, one time I tried to do a Hector Hard Mode run with all the Lyn and secret chapters, and had to do 8 different fog-of-war maps, so when I finally arrived at Battle Before Dawn, I was traumatized, and it's a chapter that's very easy to mess up.

But then again, this all Hard mode stuff, so you really should't be worried about it Nym.

Just enjoy the game, it's really, really good.

Edited by Water Mage

Fog of War appears in 3 chapters out of 23 in FE8, and it appears in 5 or 6 chapters out of 40 in FE7 (the first time you play through it, at least), so there aren't that many more Fog of War chapters compared to non-Fog of War chapters in FE7 (about 1 out of 8 for FE8, and about 1 out of 7 for FE7).

I believe that one of those Fog of War chapters in FE7 is generally agreed to be the worst chapter in the game, and certainly more frustrating than anything in FE8, so I can understand Water Mage's frustration; nonetheless, it's a complaint about quality rather than quantity.

To compare this chapter to something from FE8... Imagine a chapter that has a similar map and roster of enemy troops to that of FE8's Chapter 19: Last Hope. Now put a plot-important NPC on the throne, ALL of your units in the northeast corner, and the boss in the southwest corner (who is roughly equivalent to Selena, and also armed with a Bolting). Now put two other NPCs (one having about the same durability as one of those villagers from Chapter 6: Victims of War) on the eastern and western edges of the map.

That's a basic idea of what Battle Before Dawn is like: The most frustrating elements of Victims of War, Fluorspar's Oath, and Last Hope combined.

I've seen this chapter, for those who remembers the thread made by Lord Tacos maybe? Anyway, it's was about a youtuber ''Whothisgit'', he made a video about Battle Before Dawn in his video: ''Worst levels ever number 12''. It's was on HHM but he was so frustatred specially when he shows us the 4 items in the chests, I think the developers made this on purpose just for trolling the players. Speaking of which, you can't get a rescue or warp staff before this chapter in this game?

if you get the option to do a gaiden chapter, do it. at around chapter 16 or so you'll get the option to do chapter 16x. this is the port of badon. here, you get the only dark magic user in the game, and my god is he good. his name is canas, and it's definetely worth it to train him. Also, in this game you should really wait until level 20 to promote people(especially canas).

Oh I did that in FE8 for everyone except for L'Arachel because she took so long to get exp and she join the group so late. She was around lvl 15 when I had to promote her in the final chapter.

The Convoy is immobile at first, but he levels up for every chapter you deploy him in (and unlike fe6, he doesn't take up a unit slot to deploy, so no worries there), and after he reaches a certain level (10 iirc, it might be 20) he promotes into a movable unit.

This. First playthroughs are easy enough to play through (minus a few chapters, notably certain fog of war ones).

It might just be me, but supports also seem to take far longer than Sacred Stones to get to the next level. Might be so but I also might be crazy so take that with a grain of salt

Dorcas really doesnt seems a good unit: even with the weapon triangle, he doesnt kill any units because of his speed (welll except soldiers or weakened units). Hector will be a good substitude.

Rain is like the desert, the difference is that the rain is temporary and mages are also affected, but it only appears on early chapters, so don't worry, you actually see very little rain in the game.

Fog-of-war on the other hand...this game looooves fog-of-war. Seriously, there are a lot of fog-of-war chapters, especially compared to FE8.

Granted, fog-of-war it's not the only thing that makes the chapter difficult, but it certaintly doesn't help at all.

Yea I've seen that in the final chapter of Lyn but Whothisgit forgot to mention that in his video, I thought it's was permanant because of that. I start to understand why nobody took him seriously in the thread.

Oh yea I never had any problems with fog chapter, I always had Torchs for Colm and when L'Arachel came with her Torch staff, it's basically free exp for her.

Oh please tell me this is no berserker staff except in hard mode (seriously, Colm almost killed his childhood friend, good think he has such a low strength).

Edited by Nym

I'm pretty sure there's a berserk staff in the game, I just don't remember where...

Oh, and I forgot to mention, but there's a later chapter with snow, that works the same way as rain, however, most of the chapter is indoors, so it's not much trouble.

why all the hate for FoW and BBD I love both D:

The Berserk is in Night of Farewells. (26x? It's the gaiden after BBD.) God, I hate Berserk so much. It's a gaiden chapter, though, so you can skip it if you want.

You actually get Rescue in BBD itself, IIRC. It's in one of the chests. Speaking of which, BBD isn't so bad on EHM, since all the enemies have non-Swordreaver axes.

why all the hate for FoW and BBD I love both D:

The Berserk is in Night of Farewells. (26x? It's the gaiden after BBD.) God, I hate Berserk so much. It's a gaiden chapter, though, so you can skip it if you want.

You actually get Rescue in BBD itself, IIRC. It's in one of the chests. Speaking of which, BBD isn't so bad on EHM, since all the enemies have non-Swordreaver axes.

I don't hate FoW, it's just that FE7's FoW maps are particulary mean to the player.

Seriously, why did they put FoW on a desert map? You may have strong help and it's hard mode only, but still...