Fire Emblem Reps in Smash 4

DarkDestr0yer61

I don't think there's any known definite criteria for what's important to Smash, unless you're actually on the development team.

Then you shouldn't bring up "Marth and Ike have been in more than one game" as an argument.

I'll bring up what I feel like bringing up, thanks.

Not having definite criteria, doesn't mean I can't bring up possible ones.

Therefore, "Being in more than one game means nothing" is a perfectly valid point to bring up.

I think Lucina shouldn't have been in as her own character, I would have been okay with her as a Marth altor a Mii fighter costume, it's one thing being a clone, it's another thing being basically the same character with only one aspect changed, Alph staid as an Olimar alt, her inclusion (and Dark Pit's too) is pointless.

Also I Think one rep per continuity, while I don't like Robin or Roy, I'm okay with them being in smash because they're different enough (altough I think Roy is way too overpowered).

I'm perfectly fine with more FE characters, as long as ey're able to set themselves apart, you could put in Hector making use of his axe, Ephraim using his lance, or Sigurd riding his pony into battle (horse could be a means of jumping higher ala Yoshi sacrifice, and a lot of rush attacks).

I'd also be cool with a villain, preferably an iconic one, maybe Gharnef or Medeus, or Alvis, or Zephiel or Nergal, or the Black Knight.

I still remember during the Brawl era, Sakurai mentioning a criteria. Now you can argue it hasn't been followed to the letter (Heck I can argue with it too). But I seem to recall these 4 things being part of a character choice among other things such as their history with the company and such.

- The character's inclusion must make people want to buy the game.

- The character must be unique
- The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.
- They must contribute to the game balance.

Also as we know, Lucina, Doc and Dark Pit were going to just be costumes at first, but Sakurai and Namco decided they had a small bit of development time to make them into characters.

Edited by Jedi

Ike honestly fits all that criteria up there these days, so there's no reason for him to not be in permanently, regardless of how many games he has.

Although...

- The character's inclusion must make people want to buy the game.

I question this one. Because what about characters like the Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, ROB, and others that were like totally unknown before getting into Smash? Who wanted to buy the game because of any of them? Ike wasn't well-known at all either prior to Brawl getting him.

I don't think Sakurai's character choices necessarily always meet ALL his criteria because of this. I think Sakurai chose to add Ike in despite his status because he fit the other three criteria points perfectly. And Sakurai likes FE and maybe Ike himself as well (in fact, if what Ike does in the SSE is any indication, Sakurai DOES like him. Ike is the only character that gets to destroy a Subspace bomb and he first appears doing Aether on it). And maybe Sakurai thought that when people saw Ike, they'd be like "hey, he looks so cool, I'm gonna play him!" Maybe he thought this about the other more unknown characters he chose too, but that's taking quite a gamble, if you ask me...

I still remember during the Brawl era, Sakurai mentioning a criteria. Now you can argue it hasn't been followed to the letter (Heck I can argue with it too). But I seem to recall these 4 things being part of a character choice among other things such as their history with the company and such.

Also as we know, Lucina, Doc and Dark Pit were going to just be costumes at first, but Sakurai and Namco decided they had a small bit of development time to make them into characters.

specifically, he's said a lot that he's gotta be able to think of a fun, interesting, unique moveset for the character

which falls under several of the things you mentioned but not said explicitly

he's also said it helps to be from a series that's still active, but is not a necessity

So there are A LOT of people who think FE is way over represented in smash, but let me give my take on it. People want more characters from popular series' like Metroid, Donkey Kong, and others. However, when you compare these series' to Fire Emblem, you can see they are very different in that Fire Emblem gets new protaganists with every game or two, and so people might be a bit mad if the main character of a fairly popular Nintendo series was not included, and so they put these characters in when they are relevant: Roy in melee, Ike in Brawl, and Robin in Sm4sh. Marth is in because he is THE FE character, and Lucina is a direct clone and barely took any time to make. Now, look at a series like Metroid for example. Looking at their character list, you have Samus, the protaganist, and..... Ridley? And maybe some side characters that were in one game. Comparing those minor characters to the main characters of FE, it becomes clear hich one is more deserving of a spot. Is Metroid more deserving of a character slot that FE? Probably at this point. Is a minor Metroid character more deserving of a slot than FE's new protaganist? Probably not. Judge the characters, not the series, and that doesnt just apply to Metroid, but any series being considered for smash.

You're right, but what about Donkey Kong? Donkey Kong has a lot of characters too, and definitely notable ones that deserve to be in Smash over more FE reps. Dixie Kong and K. Rool. Even Cranky Kong. I'm not a fan of K. Rool, but still. At least one of them should've been DLC over Roy, imo.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it would be cool to have Ephraim and Eirika as a switchable character, a bit like Zelda/Shiek in previous Smash games. When playing as Ephraim, he would use a lance, which would have more range but less power, and when playing as Eirika she would use a sword, which would have less range but more strength.

while i am not happy with all the fire emblem reps, i am fine with it having 5 reps, considering that other series really don't have characters i think could make the cut outside of like, one or two choices.

heck it could have afew more reps and i'd be fine as long as they don't play the exact same. (i remember this one guy suggested making lyn playable, and having her alts be other female swordmasters, like Mia, Aira, Marsia.)

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

I know people always mention Hector and Ephraim saying their weapons would provide uniqueness alone.

(Bare with me here) when Hector could easily be just like Ike and Ephraim could be just like some weird mixture of Shulk and Marth.

Now, I doubt they'd do that, but when Sakurai looks at a character its not exactly their weapon that makes them stand out, I don't get why people complain about sword users in smash when more people use their bare fists. Like I get the want for a unique weapon.

But a different weapon doesn't instantly equal uniqueness.

Edited by Jedi