Best Units & Classes

HappyHawlucha

Maybe because there's little to no room for error. And I'd personally find it inconvenient to have to go quick-change artist just for the sake of not missing out on skills. As to Line of Death, it's more the inconvenience of knowing that enemy units that I could otherwise not gaf about suddenly become threatening thanks to it.

You are not saying Line of Death is junk. You are saying a lot solid tanks in Nohr are junk, and glass cannons like Elise are junk for being killed more easily than Mozume.

No room for error: that is why we try to send a bomb directly to the boss and ignore most other enemies. And because they are ignored, no enemy can benefit from Line of Death.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Admittedly, I haven't seen too much of anything on the game - I seriously want to avoid major spoilers. Also, way to take what I was trying to say out of context. BTW, it's not that I don't like working with glass cannons (mages are among my favorite classes, after all) - it's that I seriously object to using a skill that consigns whoever has it to being just another glass cannon, as opposed to whatever they'd be otherwise.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Maybe you should actually play the game before you start arguing about what skills are useful and what are not

I don't think you should be calling any skill "junk" before you actually see it in action, especially given how different fates is, like chill the fuck out, man, you argue fates gameplay really aggressively for someone who's trying to not be spoiled, I think you're letting your preconceptions based on past FEs shape your opinions too much

and fwiw Extravagance also negates the 10 damage from LoD

Maybe you should actually play the game before you start arguing about what skills are useful and what are not

I don't think you should be calling any skill "junk" before you actually see it in action, especially given how different fates is, like chill the fuck out, man, you argue fates gameplay really aggressively for someone who's trying to not be spoiled, I think you're letting your preconceptions based on past FEs shape your opinions too much

and fwiw Extravagance also negates the 10 damage from LoD

You're probably right. Either way, the fact that I haven't played it is something that can't be helped - I'm not a big importer, and I don't know when the game will be coming out in NA... Not that that changes the fact that I DO NOT like skills that benefit the enemy as much as, if not even more than, the player.

You're probably right. Either way, the fact that I haven't played it is something that can't be helped - I'm not a big importer, and I don't know when the game will be coming out in NA...

And I can think you can wait before making such harsh statements if you're not going to import. It's not going to kill you to not insist your views on gameplay of a game you haven't even played.

There's nothing wrong with not importing. Just don't argue about something you don't actually know shit about.

Edited by Thor Odinson

So I think it's agreed that all of the Royal Siblings are good. Are there any that particularly fall behind?

Hinoka, Sakura, and Elise I suppose.

They're good, but just don't stand out as much as the others. Hinoka is arguably better reclassed as a lancer, for starters.

They're good, but just don't stand out as much as the others. Hinoka is arguably better reclassed as a lancer, for starters.

Sakura, really? That's odd. I've heard nothing but praise for Sakura from the other players, and they say she does well in any class.

And while I have not played the game, I've seen her growths, and they are pretty good.

Edited by Water Mage

And I can think you can wait before making such harsh statements if you're not going to import. It's not going to kill you to not insist your views on gameplay of a game you haven't even played.

There's nothing wrong with not importing. Just don't argue about something you don't actually know shit about.

To be fair, the fact I haven't played it IS why I'm rather skeptical about it. It also doesn't help that personally, I don't like skills that either hurt the user or benefit the enemy more than the player, the latter being which Line of Death falls under.

The reason people say Sakura and Elise are behind because it's much harder to train healers in Fates than in any other previous Fire Emblem game. In previous Fire Emblem game installments, you could easily get good EXP for your staff users by spam using Barrier staff. This isn't the case in Fates, as the staves that give EXP other than healing is in very limited amount and are harder to obtain. A good alternative is reclassing Sakura and Elise, but they don't have the good strength to make use out of their alternative classes.

But overall, Sakura and Elise are solid units and quite powerful if you can find opportunities to heal your allies. It's just much harder to do in Fates than any other previous Fire Emblem games.

To be fair, the fact I haven't played it IS why I'm rather skeptical about it. It also doesn't help that personally, I don't like skills that either hurt the user or benefit the enemy more than the player, the latter being which Line of Death falls under.

You can form a more informed opinion about it AFTER you play the game. You talk about it benefitting the enemy more as if you know what the gameplay is exactly like.

From what I've hear, Fates is significantly more player-phase heavy. I cannot confirm nor deny this, but if it were so, and especially on archers, which mozume is often used as (since not like they're going to see enemy phase anyway), it could theoretically be a lot more useful than you're making it out to be. I cannot say whether or not that is actually true, but it's one possibility that it is open for.

All I'm saying is keep an open mind for things and stop talking like you know what you're talking about. Would it seriously kill you to wait a bit longer and become more informed before talking about shit? You can debate mechanics AFTER you play it. It's like if I went up to Gaiden players and starts telling them what's good in Gaiden and what's not. How the fuck do I know shit if I haven't played it?

But overall, Sakura and Elise are solid units and quite powerful if you can find opportunities to heal your allies. It's just much harder to do in Fates than any other previous Fire Emblem games.

Not necessarily. Sakura is easy to train up in both routes she's available in since she joins early. You don't even need to grind, either.

However, as far as healers go, I get much more utility out of Felicia or Joker (whichever one you get first) than either of the little sisters. It helps that they're combat ready from the start.

You can form a more informed opinion about it AFTER you play the game. You talk about it benefitting the enemy more as if you know what the gameplay is exactly like.

From what I've hear, Fates is significantly more player-phase heavy. I cannot confirm nor deny this, but if it were so, and especially on archers, which mozume is often used as (since not like they're going to see enemy phase anyway), it could theoretically be a lot more useful than you're making it out to be. I cannot say whether or not that is actually true, but it's one possibility that it is open for.

All I'm saying is keep an open mind for things and stop talking like you know what you're talking about. Would it seriously kill you to wait a bit longer and become more informed before talking about shit? You can debate mechanics AFTER you play it. It's like if I went up to Gaiden players and starts telling them what's good in Gaiden and what's not. How the fuck do I know shit if I haven't played it?

I've heard stuff like that too. I've also heard stuff like Hoshido enemy density being huge later on, and the part about Hoshidians as a whole being fragile, both of which I assume to be true. Andways... Mozume aside, how many people can get bows and Line of Death? Hana's the only one coming to mind off the top of my head. Other than her, it'd likely need some Marriage/Buddy Seal shenanigans, from what the site's telling me.

The reason people say Sakura and Elise are behind because it's much harder to train healers in Fates than in any other previous Fire Emblem game. In previous Fire Emblem game installments, you could easily get good EXP for your staff users by spam using Barrier staff. This isn't the case in Fates, as the staves that give EXP other than healing is in very limited amount and are harder to obtain. A good alternative is reclassing Sakura and Elise, but they don't have the good strength to make use out of their alternative classes.

For those who already know the difficulty of training a healer, it is possible to make it much easier.

In recent Nohr playthrough I tried to use Felicia as less as I can, and Elise promoted (20/1) in Chapter 17 as well as other units.

For Hinoka, I'd say it's more of a problem with her class really, no offense or anything but...Pegasus isn't really that great of a class. She literally gets 5 more HP and Defense by being a Holy Lancer (well, by 20/20 anyway, but the point still stands) and loses nothing except staff access.

It might have something to do with the fact that she's overly balanced, but she has fair offense and defense, good speed (she actually caps her Tier 1 speed, and capping, especially Tier 1, is rare in this game) which is further (somewhat over) augmented by Swallow Strike, and ...well good resistance as well. She's not "a god" or anything, but she can be pretty great

Sakura is a great healer, and she actually has better defense than a number of other units..somewhat anyway, though she probably still can't take 2 hits. That being said, once promoted (...Exorcist is largely better since she can use magic, rather than having "pretty bad" strength or resorting to the shining bow) she can destroy enemies fairly nicely as well.

Elise is like Sakura, except on a horse, in slightly different circumstances, and having "no defense". Otherwise, once promoted, she hits like a truck and will pretty much double everything (except, you know, the 30 Speed Trueblades or what not).

(Might be some slightly exaggeration, I'm not staring at a table of numbers here or anything)

Regarding the training of healers, realistically speaking I don't think it's that hard.

Your healers might fall behind somewhat, but that's that..kind of

Just to clarify a bit, the truth of the matter is that staff exp is basically nonexistent after promotion, because the game expects you to train them from CEXP, so they might end up falling behind and being unable to kill enemies....but what can I say.....

Bow units are pretty rare in this game, somewhat....

The game is kind of overly biased towards swords and lances I feel.

Hoshido:

Only 1 axe using class (and only 1 axe using character in that class). Weapon master can use axes, but...I dunno.

The rest of the classes mostly use lances actually.

Again, theres a bit of a lack of bows, but you actually have more users this time..I think

Nohr:

Only 1 bow using class (and totally not a conspiracy, only 1 character in that class), so there's more demand for mozume. "Fair" balance of swords, lances, axes

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

I've heard stuff like that too. I've also heard stuff like Hoshido enemy density being huge later on, and the part about Hoshidians as a whole being fragile, both of which I assume to be true. Andways... Mozume aside, how many people can get bows and Line of Death? Hana's the only one coming to mind off the top of my head. Other than her, it'd likely need some Marriage/Buddy Seal shenanigans, from what the site's telling me.

Hoshido has many Samurais and many bow classes.

"Bows + Line of Death" without A+/S supports:

Puppeteers Kaze/Saizou

Golden-kite Warrior Subake/Ryoma

Puppeteer/Great Merchant Yukimura/Izana

...Mozume seems to be the best one.

Edited by Tooru

Ryouma if you really want him to give up use of his swag sword, but since his swag sword is just as good 2 range anyway; Tsubaki is bad, but he can also get that combo as well, since he has the same set as Ryouma, just in reverse. Both Saizou and Kaze can get it since they have Samurai in their sets and Ninja comes with Puppeteer. Could be more, but I don't have everyones sets memorized to a T.

The point is that you should keep an open mind about it being potentially useful instead of just writing things off immediately based on preconceptions. Especially since this is a thread where people come to get opinions from the experiences of people who actually played the game, coming in with no knowledge of the actual gameplay and immediately renouncing a skill that some people found useful as "junk" really rubs me the wrong way.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Ryoma- Prf gives 1-2 Str and enough Str to ORKO things, doubles all the things, avoids all the things for quite a while

Kamui- Best availability, high flexibility, Yato gives good bonuses

Camilla- High bases across the board, good growths in key areas, flies

Xander- 1-2 Prf weapon, high Str, high Mov, super high physical durability. Little slow, but one issue is easy to fix when you have so much else going for you

Azura- Dancer with high availability

Ryoma- Prf gives 1-2 Str and enough Str to ORKO things, doubles all the things, avoids all the things for quite a while

Kamui- Best availability, high flexibility, Yato gives good bonuses

Camilla- High bases across the board, good growths in key areas, flies

Xander- 1-2 Prf weapon, high Str, high Mov, super high physical durability. Little slow, but one issue is easy to fix when you have so much else going for you

Azura- Dancer with high availability

So how do you think how to fix his speed? Just throw at him all dat speedwings or what? .-.

So how do you think how to fix his speed? Just throw at him all dat speedwings or what? .-.

Reclass Xander to Brave Hero(Nohr) or Trueblade(Invisible) for higher growth, or Lodestar for Gentle Blade and Speed Drain.

These also make him no weakness: the beast bewtween his legs is more like a debuff.

Edited by Tooru

Reclass Xander to Brave Hero(Nohr) or Trueblade(Invisible) for higher growth, or Lodestar for Gentle Blade and Speed Drain.

These also make him no weakness: the beast bewtween his legs is more like a debuff.

Bold: Are Beast Killers common or something? Because I'm unsure what you mean otherwise.

Bold: Are Beast Killers common or something? Because I'm unsure what you mean otherwise.

He probably meant growth or stats he got on paladin, well w/e, i would change his class from paladin to something else anyway cause i don't really like this class, at least for him lol

There is at least one Beast Killer in Nohr chapter 18.

All enemies are foxes with Beastbane in chapter 19.

2 Hunting Kunai in the second My Castle battle.

In chapter 26, there are Generals with Beast Killer followed by Berserkers with Hammer.

Speedwings, +Spd Guard Stancer like Charlotte or Luna, tonics maybe. I guess you could reclass him to Hero if you really want to, but he loses Mov and doesn't really need any of the skills there. It would also only be 1 base and 5% growth which isn't a lot.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Yeah, both Luna and Charlotte's promotions (Hero/Bow Knight or Hero/Berserker) both give +3 SPD, and by S-rank both of them will give Xander +2 more speed personally, so they'd give him +5 SPD in pair-up at S-rank.

Charlotte's personal is +3 STR, +2 Spd, so she gives: +8 Str, +5 Spd as a Berserker or +3 Str, +3 Skl, +5 Spd, +2 Def as a hero.

Luna's personal is +1 Str, +1 Skl, +2 Spd, and +1 Def, so she gives: +1 Str, +4 Skl, 5 Spd, +3 Def as a Hero and +1 Str, +4 Skl, +5 Spd, +1 Def, and +1 Move as a Bow Knight.

Basically, Charlotte really cranks up Xander's offense, while Luna gives him slightly more defense or can boost his movement range instead.

Both will make him equally fast.