poll title  

37 members have voted

1. 1. which is best touhou soundtrack?

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

deathbombing

Deathbombing (in the context of IN) is pretty much a skill that doesn't help much in any other game. I'd suggest predicting when you're going to die and bombing pre-emptively, or autobombing any trouble spots.

Also, you don't use two bombs in that case.

Edited by Iceflare

Deathbombing (in the context of IN) is pretty much a skill that doesn't help much in any other game. I'd suggest predicting when you're going to die and bombing pre-emptively, or autobombing any trouble spots.

Also, you don't use two bombs in that case.

Оh. Well I have a hard time predicting, so deathbomb in most cases, but the important thing is that it's still better than losing a life.

NOT YOU TOO

AS YOUR SEMPAI I EXPRESSLY FORBID USE OF THAT NAME!

Geegee.

I'm getting way better at dodging and deathbombing, I didn't even have to focus for most of Wriggle and Mystia's spells!

If it's IN, you're probably referring to deathLastSpells, which are much easier than deathbombing in other games (deathbombing itself is actually really difficult in IN).

A deathLastSpell consumes 2 bombs (unless you only have one), so it's generally advised that you bomb when you feel you're in danger but before you actually get hit.

But Marisa absolutely destroyed me. ; -;

Well, the fact that you're fighting Marisa already indicates that you're using a superior shot type. Admittedly though, Marisa is pretty tough. I'd argue that she is the hardest boss in IN Normal even.

Reimu and Yukari.

Would recommend Netherworld instead but Border is pretty great too.

But I heard it's good for gaining Time or something? I got Wriggle and Mystia's Last Spells so.

Time is useless if you're just trying to 1cc and don't care about score. The Last Spells themselves are only useful for score. So yeah, don't worry about the Time and just try to kill stuff.

NOT YOU TOO

AS YOUR SEMPAI I EXPRESSLY FORBID USE OF THAT NAME!

...I dismissed the Georgina-sama because I thought it was a minor irrelevant joke but your reaction makes me super interested in it. So, what is this Georgina-sama...?

Оh. Well I have a hard time predicting, so deathbomb in most cases, but the important thing is that it's still better than losing a life.

Geegee.

> hard time predicting

I might be wrong, but from my observations and experiences with new players, the reality is probably that you're worried about wasting your bombs. As a result, you feel like you should save your bombs for when you really need them, but then you have a hard time of predicting when you should bomb.

My suggestion to you is that, rather than maintaining the mentality of "I have a hard time predicting, so I should get better at predicting when I need to bomb or get better at deathbombing to cut down losses", you should instead lower your standards of "predicting when I should bomb". Obviously, if you're say, fighting Wriggle and the bullets are really mild and you know you can clear it easily but you decide to bomb just for fun, then that's a "wasted" bomb. But if there is ever a degree of uncertainty of whether you'll survive, and you decide to bomb, then I would not consider it a "waste" at this point. Don't wait until you're sure you're screwed; but be prepared to bomb once you feel worried.

One would argue that bombing a lot means less dodging attempts which is counterproductive to getting better at Touhou. I completely disagree on this; if you start by bombing a lot, you can slowly get better by reducing how many bombs you spend while you train yourself to dodge better, leading to a good balance of dodging and bombing that slowly gets better and better, which imo embodies the spirit of Touhou very well because well, bombs are meant to be used, and utilizing them well is also a skill in Touhou. On the other hand, if you instead start by trying to dodge everything and only bomb when you're about to die, then you're making it a lot harder on yourself. You're essentially aiming for a NB (which is far more difficult than a 1cc) while using bombs as a type of fail-safe that preserves your life if you predict danger. Strong experienced players (especially those pursuing NBs) would benefit from this mindset, but new players will be murdered by it. Trust me on this, I've seen it in myself when I started and in other players who struggled when they first started. You should instead start by bombing a lot, and then get better by dodging more and slowly reducing your bomb dependency. That would make the learning process a lot easier, more effective, and more true to the spirit of Touhou which highlights resource management as an important component of its gameplay.

Edited by Rainbow

Ah, I see. I'll try giving it another shot with that mentality. And I think it's deathLastSpell, but I think I've also gotten it to only use one? I don't really pay attention when I do it mid-battle. And I normally switch around between Border and Netherworld, just for variety. The Magic one is fun, but impractical and I haven't really used the Scarlet one. One of my biggest weaknesses if I had to say, would probably be my constant resetting when I lose a life in the first stage by accident or something. I'm pushing myself and it's annoying, but it irks me and I just restart. ; -;

It's a ridiculously stupid nickname (the Georgina part) Elle gave me. I utterly hate it and request that no one call me that.

I'm curious about how it arose though

Ah, I see. I'll try giving it another shot with that mentality.

Yay, hopefully you'll make more progress then. I think you should try to see how far you can go by bombing every time you feel slightly insecure, never dying with bombs remaining. Sure, you'll eventually burn out of resources and lose your last life but you might be surprised at how far you made it through.

And I think it's deathLastSpell, but I think I've also gotten it to only use one? I don't really pay attention when I do it mid-battle.

Well, if you find yourself bombing after you get hit in IN, most of the time it's a deathLastSpell. Which would always consume two bombs (unless you have only one, in which case only that bomb is lost). If you bombed after a hit with more than 1 bomb and still lost only 1 bomb, then it was, indeed, a deathbomb and not a deathLastSpell, but deathbombs require very fast reflexes due to how short their windows are.

And I normally switch around between Border and Netherworld, just for variety. The Magic one is fun, but impractical and I haven't really used the Scarlet one.

Tip for Netherworld: Try to abuse Yuyuko's butterflies during the stage portions; they make everything much easier. Meanwhile, Border has a great time with bosses because Yukari rocks. Yes, use Yukari for bosses because Reimu is weak and Time is worthless for 1ccing.

One of my biggest weaknesses if I had to say, would probably be my constant resetting when I lose a life in the first stage by accident or something. I'm pushing myself and it's annoying, but it irks me and I just restart. ; -;

tbh I think resetting on Stage 1 is fine. You don't lose much progress and there isn't much that you need to redo. I personally always reset for Stage 1 screwups myself. That is as far as I go though. I don't reset for Stage 2 screwups, and in fact, many of my first 1ccs that I'm proud of actually involved Stage 2 screwups.