New ~Official Touhou Chat Thread~

deleted35362

poll title  

37 members have voted

1. 1. which is best touhou soundtrack?

In fact, iirc you 1cc'd UFO Hard way before I did so I still can't compare to your level.

UFO Hard actually is one the few Hard modes I haven't 1cc'd. Unzan murders my face so hard I tend to enter Stage 4 with something silly like 0 lives. Stage 4 itself isn't too bad, but doing Stage 5 Hard with no resources is just beyond my skill level.

But I'm not very good with GFW in general so I might have a hard time with it. I haven't even 1cc'd any GFW routes on Normal and did not unlock GFW Ex, so idk...

You really just need to get used to the Freeze mechanic. It's a bit like timing/breaking borders in PCB, except you have much more control over when to use it. Don't bother trying to go for gold medals on most spellcards, as that easily adds one and a half ranks of difficulty.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's difficulty is a type of difficulty I am not adapted for.

eosd lunatic difficulty I can handle. It's plain and simple dodging, no tricks, just don't get hit.

but this, oh god this, this requires you to have everything memorized so well to the point that...

Honestly, while memorizing everything of course makes it much easier (like in pretty much any other SHMUP), you can still get by with just reflexes. I did manage to reach Okuu a couple of times on SA Lunatic, although you do have to get really good at dealing with Yuugi's lasers to not run out of resources way too quickly.

Practicing just Stage 3 and 4 a bunch really helps. Stage 5 and 6 can be trivialized to some extent by simply not shooting everything in sight.

one more ridiculous death to yamame's fucking opening non-spell

I feel ya, Yamame's opening non is the worst freaking thing. xD

That said, though, you can just bomb it if you can't be bothered to deal with it. You can still get to 4 Power by the time you have to fight mid!Parsee even if you end the fight with Yamame at 0 Power.

and fuck the shot types too, every single one of them besides reimua requires a fucking phd to use/sucks, so your stuck with reimu a and the stages become miserable.

ReimuC actually is really good too (arguably better than ReimuA for the stages themselves), and personally I also find it easy to use for the flexibility it provides, although I understand it'd feel finnicky if you're not good at dealing with shot types that are directly influenced by your own movement.

But yeah, the other shot types either completely fall apart the instant you die or bomb even once (MarisaA, MarisaB), or just flat-out suck (ReimuB, MarisaC).

Although MarisaC at least is surprisingly good for the Extra Stage, simply for the fact that Koishi doesn't become invincible if you put up a barrier.

UFO Hard actually is one the few Hard modes I haven't 1cc'd. Unzan murders my face so hard I tend to enter Stage 4 with something silly like 0 lives. Stage 4 itself isn't too bad, but doing Stage 5 Hard with no resources is just beyond my skill level.

Oh, I see. Well, it took me a while to get it, but I basically just spammed bombs against Unzan. Cept the midboss spell, that thing is easy. At least Ichirin's attacks are tame too. Stage 5 and onwards, though...

You really just need to get used to the Freeze mechanic. It's a bit like timing/breaking borders in PCB, except you have much more control over when to use it. Don't bother trying to go for gold medals on most spellcards, as that easily adds one and a half ranks of difficulty.

Yeah, I figured it would be centered on freeze spams but even then, I'm pretty terrible at it.

every single one of them besides reimua requires a fucking phd to use/sucks

*raises hand and opens mouth*

*closes mouth and lowers hand, embarrassed*

so your stuck with reimu a and the stages become miserable.

*you're

ReimuA is pretty nice though. I dunno how much tougher Lunatic is, but stages aren't too brutal. ReimuA's screenwide bomb is pretty useful for stages (though it loses to Ayayaya).

-It may be worth trying to learn Patchy though. Five shots seems like a daunting learning task, but really you just need to stick to Water Sign for stages, Fire Sign for bosses, and Wood Sign for shotgunning (most notably for bombskipping). Metal Sign and Earth should only be used during very specific segments in which they're useful. Note that Earth Sign's back shot hits really freaking hard.

Wah, all I did was pressure you into timing out Satellite Himawari, which was pretty amazing tbh.

Well, to be fair. You were the one who taught a mere mortal like me to beat DDC Ex. Prior to that I was convinced extra stages were for people like ZM.

Oh, I see. Well, it took me a while to get it, but I basically just spammed bombs against Unzan.

I probably should just resign to doing that, too. I keep thinking I can capture Hard Ichirin's spellcards because they look so deceptively simple, but I keep messing them up. Heck, even on Normal Ichirin arguably is the Stage 3 boss whose spellcards I fail most often.

The only thing more frightening than Lunatic Ichirin is Lunatic Kagerou imo.

I dunno how much tougher Lunatic is, but stages aren't too brutal. ReimuA's screenwide bomb is pretty useful for stages (though it loses to Ayayaya).

Agreed, it really is the insanely tanky bosses that make SA as difficult as it is... Though Lunatic, of course, still requires your full attention during the stage portions. Lunatic Stage 1 in particular is surprisingly ruthless; much harder than anything Stage 2 (including Parsee) throws at you. It's probably the hardest Stage 1 in any Touhou, period.

-It may be worth trying to learn Patchy though. Five shots seems like a daunting learning task, but really you just need to stick to Water Sign for stages, Fire Sign for bosses, and Wood Sign for shotgunning (most notably for bombskipping). Metal Sign and Earth should only be used during very specific segments in which they're useful. Note that Earth Sign's back shot hits really freaking hard.

It's not worth it. ReimuC achieves the same thing while dealing far more damage, being significantly easier to use and having a bomb that doesn't require you to plan its use ahead of time to do literally anything at all.

...and, of course, Reimu's hitbox being smaller than Marisa's is a real boon on Lunatic, unless you're insane and want to supergraze all those lasers in Stage 3 and 4.

Bombing for yamame's opener is not an option because I can't capture her last spellcard on low power.

Couldn't you just bomb both? As far as I recall, with the boss fight included, Stage 1 has enough Power for three bombs. You could bomb Yamame's opening non-spell once, and her last spellcard even twice if needed. Like I said, you should be fine to enter Stage 2 at 0 Power.

I like patchy a lot, and it's not even the shots that bother me, it's that fucking awful bomb. Does barely any damage in most situations, and doesn't clear much bullets at all.

I feel ya. Unless you know ahead of time you don't even want to attempt doing a given pattern the normal way and get right up into the boss' face, MarisaB's bomb does pretty much nothing.

And even if you know ahead of time you want to bomb, it's barely any help in the stage portions.

yes, of course it's not that hard, which is why when I'm at 1-2 power I've yet to capture it in my 294854th attempts.

You shouldn't be attempting that card with 1 power. It's not too bad on 2 power, I think you need to dodge 2-3 waves? It's static. I can link you a spell / nonspell practice if you really need it.

Assuming you bomb her opener, you want to enter Yamame with 2.50 power at the very least. She drops 0.50 power after Cave Spider's Nest, and you can kill Unexplained Fever midway through the third wave with 2 power.

EDIT: I'm assuming of course that you have a consistent-ish strategy for getting a significant fraction of the power on stage 1.

Edited by Iceflare

Wriggle is one of the worst characters

July 11th, 2016: His ravings are becoming less and less coherent. He's lost the ability to form sentences, instead chanting no absolution, never absolution over and over again. We're going to try decreasing the dosage to try to coax more prophecy out of him, but the odds are looking slim.