1. 1. which is best touhou soundtrack?

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proto, plz don't break out in song

rudy nooo

disownment

Hey, he's already farther than you on the Touhou ladder. ;)

You should encourage people to play, after all. Lmao

Edited by Zeems

Is your job in life to put me down? Is that what you're after?

Not really. You make jabs at me a lot, so I'm just giving you a taste of retribution. :P Don't take it seriously!

That's mean Ziem.

Sorry, sorry.

Not really. You make jabs at me a lot, so I'm just giving you a taste of retribution. :P Don't take it seriously!

I'm just saying as a person who doesn't play games in general that was honestly pretty hurtful to me. Being called secondary hurts you know.

I'd love to play DDC because waifu.

Hmmm... which game and difficulty (and shot type, I guess) did you try playing?

Also, are you aware that you can hold Shift for focused movement?

I forget. :V Obviously easy modo. I think. I forget that too.

Nope. I don't even know the controls for Touhou. ;w;

Wakagashime is the most boring DDC character with one of the worst themes in the series

Everybody knows that Tonton has bad opinions so I'll trust Glace on that one.

I'd love to play DDC because waifu.

I forget. :V Obviously easy modo. I think. I forget that too.

Nope. I don't even know the controls for Touhou. ;w;

As Shezzy pointed out, Z is for shooting, X is for bombing, SHIFT is for focused movement.

In general, you want Z to be held down all the time so that you're always shooting at all times. There are a few instances where there is a benefit to not-shooting, but those are very rare exceptions and you probably shouldn't worry about them for now. Just hold down the Z button all the time.

X is for bomb, allowing you to fire a single special attack and, more importantly, you will become invincible for a short while. The exact nature of the attack and the duration of invincibility depends on which character and shot type you're playing as. You have a limited number of bombs, which is shown on the right side of the screen, under your lives. The main purpose of bombs should be for survival, i.e., if you find yourself in a tight spot where you might die, it's better to bomb, abusing the invincibility to keep you alive. Note that your bomb stock is restored to the default amount (usually 3) whenever you die, even if you had 0 bombs remaining, so it's ALWAYS better to spend a bomb than to die.

Holding SHIFT puts your character into the focused state, which has three effects: the shot (bullets you're firing) changes, movement becomes slower, and a red circle appears on your character. The red circle is the hitbox; it shows exactly which area of your character is actually vulnerable. Yes, the hitbox is actually that small; enemy bullets touching anything outside the circle will not hurt your character. Seeing your hitbox allows you to make more precise dodges, and the slowed movement is especially useful when the bullets are dense and you don't want to move too far to avoid the bullets. As for the change in the shot, it really depends on which character and shot type you're playing as, but usually the focused shot is more suited for damaging bosses, so it's generally a good idea to stay focused and keep yourself far under the boss when fighting them. When you're not fighting a boss, you'll probably want to stay unfocused to move around faster, but occasionally going focused to dodge bullets if the need arises.

Finally, I wanna tell you about items and auto-collecting. Red items are Power items, they increase your Power. Try to collect them, but once you reach max power, you can generally ignore them. Blue items are for points, which are generally useless for players who are just trying to clear the game (as opposed to getting high scores). Note that in some games, you get extra lives based on your point items or score, so they're not actually useless then.

Collecting items sounds like a pain, right? Well, a special feature of Touhou is that if you actually move above a certain point high up in the screen, then ALL items on the screen will immediately be collected. This makes it easier to collect items, since you simply need to move up. But be careful! The higher area of the screen is usually much more dangerous than the lower area so you should generally only try auto-collecting when you feel like it would be safe enough to do so. Losing a life for some items is never worth it. Also, note that in some games, you are required to be at full power before you can auto-collect (or go focused in IN).

Most games usually have their own unique mechanics that beginners would want to know of (usually related to getting more bombs/lives), so I can tell you more once you decide on a game to play.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Rainbow