How open world do you like your games?

IceBrand

If it's the RPG genre I can enjoy games pretty much anywhere on the spectrum. If it's anything else I tend to prefer when it leans more towards the linear side, though some open ended exploration is ok.

Edited by Ambling Falchion

Openness itself doesn't really matter to me. Open world games need to have worlds that are really diverse and interesting (ie. actually worth exploring), and there has to be a coherent progressive narrative. Xenoblade was huge and accomplished both of those things. And then there are smaller open world games that don't achieve those things.

I want to change the world if it's possible. Destroy this city, build another one, make a mine out of a dungeon, hire army to patrol the roads, marry and divorce whenever I want, make a specie extinct, tame the dragons and ride them to heaven, name myself the god of the world,..v.v...

Openness itself doesn't really matter to me. Open world games need to have worlds that are really diverse and interesting (ie. actually worth exploring), and there has to be a coherent progressive narrative. Xenoblade was huge and accomplished both of those things. And then there are smaller open world games that don't achieve those things.

Essentially this. An open world is worthless unless there's something worth finding. To add to that, one thing a lot of modern game developers don't seem to get is that filling a map with collectibles and upgrades doesn't do enough to satisfy. The player must have a sense that by exploring you will find something unexpected, whatever form that reward may come in. A good way to do this is to have items or powers that do new things and change/enhance the gameplay when they are found, but there's other ways to do it at well.

After playing the absolutely pathetic open world in MGSV I want every game's world from here on to be as tight as a nun's asshole.

Game developers don't know what they're doing, it seems, so I'd rather them not bother because I might end up with a somewhat playable/enjoyable game afterall.

While I do like exploring, I also like when there's a set path for me to follow, so I guess I'm on the fence on this one.

I think some Pokemon games have the kind of open world that I like. You have to follow a set path, but that path tend to have plenty of areas to explore.

Hm, Oblivion kind of open world.
And please, no BS main plots such as Skyrim, Dragon Age and the like, those are dumb as hell.

There's a big awesome world, lot of quests, lot of things to do, level up, items to find. Yup. Open world RPG are awesome.

And a mute hero, thank you very much, the games I showed above show why giving a voice to your character lines should almost never be done. The stupidity of those lines are mindblowing.

Though saying to Martin, 'Come with me you're in danger !' '...O RLY ?' in Oblivion was hilarious, Skyrim doesn't even have that.

I want to change the world if it's possible. Destroy this city, build another one, make a mine out of a dungeon, hire army to patrol the roads, marry and divorce whenever I want, make a specie extinct, tame the dragons and ride them to heaven, name myself the god of the world,..v.v...

If only my friend, if only.

Edited by B.Leu

This.

• 2 weeks later...

Being that I just came back from playing a ton of Fallout Im a bit biased, I want those games to be like Fallout. Pokemon can be considered "open world" mostly cause you can explore the region your heart's content the further you get in the game.

Thats how much sandbox I want in my open world games. RPG open world games.