How do you feel when a company makes a better version of a game but not release it out of region?

IceBrand

Its really not that great, especially if you are a fan of an specific game franchise and they decide to make a new installment that is let's say ''region locked''. I myself find this to be not a very nice move for the fans that, even if they will be able to buy that game they won't understand a thing from it. I found myself in this situation too, with many games. Luckily some were fan translated some were not. I am a fan of Luminous Arc games and 7th Dragon games as well, and the third installments of both of those games were not released outside of Japan. (The second installment of 7th Dragon is an example of fan translated games)

Of course I also understand that any company makes and analyze the probability of how popular and how well will the game be if released in all regions, and sometimes they arrive at the conclusion that it will not be profitable to do so, meaning that they will either see how the home sales will fare and maybe they will localize it later, or worst case scenario they will not localize it and the game won't be released in the remaining regions.

Generally, it leave a very bad taste in my mouth. A really, really, really bad taste.

I just had a flashback about the updated version of Tales of Vesperia eh.

(The second installment of 7th Dragon is an example of fan translated games)

Actually, the first installment was fan translated too. Also, sorry to nitpick, but this thread was intended for re-releases of games which received content updates. Besides examples the TC gave, FFX and FFXII are examples of games that got extra content such as different character customization options (alternate sphere grid and license board IIRC) and extra superbosses. Though it's possible that FFX's extra content got added to the HD release. The examples you gave are of full-on sequels.

I can't really think of examples of this which bothered me.

Developers that do this generally don't care about the niche in other countries or regions. They just stick to their strongest fanbase, which in Square Enix's example for Kingdom Hearts, is in Japan. It wasn't until many years later until they finally realized how much people in the states AND other countries care about it.

I notice that they don't only keep enhanced versions of games to themselves but also keep entire games away from other countries. Half of the Fire Emblem games weren't released outside Japan, as well as a myriad of games that fans started petitions for. From a business standpoint, it's a risk that they're not willing to take. So I can't entirely blame them for it. So never mind what I said earlier, they do care about the niche but sometimes can't take the risk of the game potentially not becoming a hit.

Edited by Rxmonste

Actually, the first installment was fan translated too. Also, sorry to nitpick, but this thread was intended for re-releases of games which received content updates. Besides examples the TC gave, FFX and FFXII are examples of games that got extra content such as different character customization options (alternate sphere grid and license board IIRC) and extra superbosses. Though it's possible that FFX's extra content got added to the HD release. The examples you gave are of full-on sequels.

I can't really think of examples of this which bothered me.

Yes the first installment was fan translated too but I forgot to mention it. And overall I've talked about sequels/prequels/whatsoever because in the end the feeling and the taste left behind is the same, that of being disappointed or feeling bad that you can't have access to that extra contend/sequel.

Sony has a policy where you can't re-release a game in an altered form or something like that, which is why the Kingdom Hearts Final Mix games never came stateside. It's all Sony's fault.

Edited by Zera

Yes the first installment was fan translated too but I forgot to mention it. And overall I've talked about sequels/prequels/whatsoever because in the end the feeling and the taste left behind is the same, that of being disappointed or feeling bad that you can't have access to that extra contend/sequel.

Fair enough.

Developers that do this generally don't care about the niche in other countries or regions. They just stick to their strongest fanbase, which in Square Enix's example for Kingdom Hearts, is in Japan. It wasn't until many years later until they finally realized how much people in the states AND other countries care about it.

But then why did they put in a bit of extra content into the NA (and Europe?) release of KH that wasn't in the JP ver till later? Edited by Severian

You cant get a strong fanbase outside of Japan without giving them good games to play first. It's a risk you have to take if you want to get more profits. Look at Hyperneptune series, they dig a gold mine by releasing the game on steam. After the positive feedback of the first game, now they are releasing more and more of them old games to the western front, they even planning to include their newest games.

You cant blame the western players when the first game you show them is the worst of the whole franchise (Valkyria Chronicles 2, cough). Look at how well Valkyria Chronicles 1 did when it's released on steam, even the developers didnt expect that. And now they start exporting more and more to the west, included the Nobunaga's Ambition franchise which I doubt many of the western players know it.

dialogue is opening up more freely these days but the climate is still distrustful

and with the console giants making more and more fuck-ups for the gaming economy, everyone's scared to make any risky moves right now

Why use "region" when it's a Japan-only thing.

You don't hear Rockstar making better versions of GTA games but not release it outside Scotland.

You don't hear CD Projekt RED making better versions of the Witcher games but not release it outside Poland.

Japanese game companies seem to share the common mentality of "Fuck your foreign markets, we only want local yens!"

Thankfully other Japanese manufacturing giants like Mitsubishi & Toyota realize that, people outside their national borders want Japanese stuff too