Creating a FE4 patch. Looking for thoughts/feedback.

AzimuthFE

Looking at the way holsety appears to have been pasted in afterword, i suspect that it was going to say "hol" on everyone's holy blood wheel untill late in development, when they decided to change it. They must have hard-coded Julius's holy blood wheel, and then forgot that they had done so.

Ooh, That's actually a much more plausible explanation than I had.

i wonder if it'd be possible to hack the julius version of the screen to repoint it to the full "forseti" graphic. sure, it's basically guaranteed to be possible at some point, but whether it's practical? who the hell knows :P

Pretty much what I was thinking. It *should* just be a case of changing the tilemap as you said.

i really ought to comb through the game properly and sort out everything that's going to need a Graphical Change at some point. you'd think it's the sort of trivial thing i'd have done right off the bat when i still didn't really know what i was doing, but evidently not

Haha. Just when you think you have everything... a wild kana appeared! As far as I'm aware, the to-do list in the OP contains everything that I could find. I'm kind of toying with the idea of reverse-engineering the Jugdral Chronology section. I like to think of myself as a fast reader but I find myself struggling to keep up by the end. I may see if it's possible to slow down the scrolling once everything else is done.

• 3 weeks later...

howcome this isn't in the fan projects section, does it not apply to simpler non-gamechanging stuff? flavor projects are always cool though

in any case, for anyone reading, ZSNES does not load ROMs above 4MB (at least as far as I can remember, and my attempts to expand FE4 have failed for ZSNES specifically)

at first I was surprised you could locate all those compressed tiles, but you simply brute forced them in, so to speak? (your method is all mumbo-jumbo to me)

regardless it may or may not be better to do it that way, since the original tiles might not have room for localized names, as far as just direct tile editing... although I'm guessing you figured that out, I don't know anything about that stuff (SHRUG!)

Edited by Lamia

howcome this isn't in the fan projects section, does it not apply to simpler non-gamechanging stuff? flavor projects are always cool though

in any case, for anyone reading, ZSNES does not load ROMs above 4MB (at least as far as I can remember, and my attempts to expand FE4 have failed for ZSNES specifically)

at first I was surprised you could locate all those compressed tiles, but you simply brute forced them in, so to speak? (your method is all mumbo-jumbo to me)

regardless it may or may not be better to do it that way, since the original tiles might not have room for localized names, as far as just direct tile editing... although I'm guessing you figured that out, I don't know anything about that stuff (SHRUG!)

THe holy blood wheel name tiles probably do (if i had to guess) because of the fact that the name "hol" for holsety blood is in the rom, and is supposed to be unused(the word "holsety" is pasted off to the side)..The word "hol" is actualy used instead of holsety in julius's holy blood wheel, but i suspect that that is a pointer that the developers forgot to change, so it would probably be a good idea to colect that pointer anyway.

Sorry for the lack of updates on this. After working on this for so long my brain was kind of rejecting it heh. I spent a couple of weeks doing other stuff and a fresh mind coming back to this is really helping.

Lamia is correct in saying that my tiles take up more room. This is for two reasons: a) changing tiles messes with the compression; a set of tiles that has been altered may not compress down to the same size. b) certain parts of this patch required adding additional tiles. This is mainly true for the map.

THe holy blood wheel name tiles probably do (if i had to guess) because of the fact that the name "hol" for holsety blood is in the rom, and is supposed to be unused(the word "holsety" is pasted off to the side)..The word "hol" is actualy used instead of holsety in julius's holy blood wheel, but i suspect that that is a pointer that the developers forgot to change, so it would probably be a good idea to colect that pointer anyway.

This is almost certainly the issue. I'm guessing I will need to alter the tilemaps to fix this.

I haven't try to insert any data or repointer to new place yet because I think we have enough free spaces in 4MB rom.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree here. There isn't that much free space (at least not for what I'm doing). Besides, the lack of space isn't the issue; it's the fact that a lot of the data is stored continuously in the ROM. It is impossible to replace a block of data with one that is larger since it would overwrite the start of the next block.

As for the patch itself. The in-game stat menus are done, as are the chapter titles. I haven't yet updated the patch yet since the new graphics look very rough atm. I'm currently working on the intro text and title screen (nailing down the intro text is surprisingly hard and may take a while).

hey, i don't suppose you'd be interested in coming on board and contributing graphics-ways for the translation patch? the hacking side of the project's back in action, and i figured that it might be a lot easier on the project to have somebody who works exclusively to the graphics tasks. i figure you already know your way around fe4 in this regard and are poking around with this sort of localisation aim in mind, so why not? sorry for the nuisance

hey, i don't suppose you'd be interested in coming on board and contributing graphics-ways for the translation patch? the hacking side of the project's back in action, and i figured that it might be a lot easier on the project to have somebody who works exclusively to the graphics tasks. i figure you already know your way around fe4 in this regard and are poking around with this sort of localisation aim in mind, so why not? sorry for the nuisance

I'd love to help in any way I can. Please let me know, either through this through this thread or by PM (whichever you prefer), what you need and where to go from here.

Also, not being a nuisance. I'm happy to help :^_^:

Edited by AzimuthFE