So, why no Lucina? (I mean, besides Amiibo Lucina)

Agent_Chieftain

Just something Ive been wondering about. It's obvious that a lot of the Awakening throwbacks are related to the Most Popular Character poll. Severa, Inigo and Owain were the second gen picks, and Matoi and Syalla are obvious throwbacks to Cordelia and Tharja. So it seems strange to me that she wasn't given a more "official" role, besides being this game's version of an Einherjar. (as she's more of an echo of Lucina that exists within SSB universe, rather than the true Lucina the other kids know.)

You can get her class and outfit in the game, so I think that's enough of a tribute. The only other playable, non-amiibo bonus character in the game is Anna, and she's something of a series mascot.

Having Lucina be in the game "properly" would hurt Fates' chances of standing on its own two feet instead of relying on Awakening even more. Lucina is too closely connected to the plot of the last game, and would divert too much attention from Fates' own story and characters, not to mention it would've been even harder and stupider to explain why she decided to go there.

Chrom also was in the top of the popularity polls and didn't receive a 2nd gen counterpart here. I think it's clear they didn't want to feature returning main characters in the real cast, only secondary ones that didn't really have plot importance in Awakening.

I just wish they had kept the past-game Einherjar, it'd be neat with the visiting castle feature since you could have some rather big team variety... although I guess it'd make buying skills for the real characters potentially harder.

Edited by NeonZ

Chrom also was in the top of the popularity polls and didn't receive a 2nd gen counterpart here. I think it's clear they didn't want to feature returning main characters in the real cast, only secondary ones that didn't really have plot importance in Awakening.

I just wish they had kept the past-game Einherjar, it'd be neat with the visiting castle feature since you could have some rather big team variety... although I guess it'd make buying skills for the real characters potentially harder.

Einherjars are slightly harder to make in this game compared to the last game, the biggest reason being that the Avatar has dragon-like features and isn't completely human. While Robin has dragon blood from Grima, he/she doesn't have dragon-like feature making it simpler to use his wide avatar-creations as Einherjars, representing old characters. If they really want Einherjars, they are going to have to put an extra effort to actually create unique models for them but that would be time consuming,would cost a lot more money and take up space. If they actually do it, then I would give them a lot of props for doing so.

At least Lucina and Robin get some form of playability. Chrom and the Avatar are the two most important characters in Awakening, and Chrom was only really referenced in an optional DLC story map.

Einherjars are slightly harder to make in this game compared to the last game, the biggest reason being that the Avatar has dragon-like features and isn't completely human. While Robin has dragon blood from Grima, he/she doesn't have dragon-like feature making it simpler to use his wide avatar-creations as Einherjars, representing old characters. If they really want Einherjars, they are going to have to put an extra effort to actually create unique models for them but that would be time consuming,would cost a lot more money and take up space. If they actually do it, then I would give them a lot of props for doing so.

Physically, Kamui just has slightly pointy ears which are very minor in his battle model, it shouldn't be that hard to make a variation without those ears, although I guess that could explain why they didn't bother.

I'm glad Lucina isn't back since a main character should't return to an entirely different world. Then again I think she would fit in a lot better then the clowns we have now. I think the 3 are fine characters on their own, but I find it hard to believe anyone would leave the fate of their world in the hands of a flirt, a larper and a moody teenager. Lucina meanwhile was a competent leader in the future timeline and would actually be more fitting to get a task to help save a world.

Since Lucina's already got the amiibo, it'd probably be more confusing than anything (both story and gameplay-wise) if she showed up as another playable character.

Not to mention she and Chrom are both main characters in Awakening, and if either had appeared properly, people would've likely expected them to be plot drivers, instead of side characters.

Edited by blinkingbrave

I'm glad Lucina isn't back since a main character should't return to an entirely different world. Then again I think she would fit in a lot better then the clowns we have now. I think the 3 are fine characters on their own, but I find it hard to believe anyone would leave the fate of their world in the hands of a flirt, a larper and a moody teenager. Lucina meanwhile was a competent leader in the future timeline and would actually be more fitting to get a task to help save a world.

Yeah, if I were to send any of the Awakening kids to help another world, I would have chosen Lucina, Gerome, Laurent and Kjelle. Through supports, its pretty much hinted that these 4 are the "leaders" of the future kids, due to their wisdom, maturity, and tactical skill.

Having Lucina be in the game "properly" would hurt Fates' chances of standing on its own two feet instead of relying on Awakening even more.

Yeah, but so does having Owain/Inigo/Severa, and forcing the marriage mechanic.

I don't disagree with your point though.

Yeah, if I were to send any of the Awakening kids to help another world, I would have chosen Lucina, Gerome, Laurent and Kjelle. Through supports, its pretty much hinted that these 4 are the "leaders" of the future kids, due to their wisdom, maturity, and tactical skill.

Inigo's support with his father mentions that he was a leader in the future.

Inigo's support with his father mentions that he was a leader in the future.

Probably not the future kids but definitely either a band of mercenary fighting against Risen or the Ylisse Army under Lucina in a similiar way that Frederick or Robin holds command.

I don't really want Lucina to become as prominent as Marth, I know Awakening sold the best worldwide yada yada, but it's getting 2 reps in Smash4, going to appear in PxZ2(Lucina with a better moveset than her Smash incarnation what's up with that....) Also people forget about the poor Gaius clone ahhh what's his name?*google time* Ah yes Gurei

Anyways I'm getting distracted lol. I think the Amiibo were enough. Lucina is too relevant to Awakening to be in Fates are a "real" character if that makes sense. People can go through Awakening without knowing about the other Awakening children but Lucina is more or less forced on us(for obvious reasons)

Having Lucina be in the game "properly" would hurt Fates' chances of standing on its own two feet instead of relying on Awakening even more. Lucina is too closely connected to the plot of the last game, and would divert too much attention from Fates' own story and characters, not to mention it would've been even harder and stupider to explain why she decided to go there.

Agreed, Fire Emblem is a series that almost always introduced new characters with the exception of games that were in the same subseries like the Tellius games including Radiant Dawn and Path of Radience, forgot what the other ones were called but the ones with Marth and Celice had the same thing.

But with that aside, I think bringing back back Owain, Severa and Inigo was JUST enough. If they implemented Lucina properly, it would've been pretty much what Thane said.

Edited by Rxmonste

As much as I like Lucina and co, they have their own game. They only put Owain, Inigo and Severa in Fates because of the popularity poll and I think that's enough. Besides, with all the DLC we got in Awakening, there is no need to do another game just for them (ok I lied, I want to play the ''escape to the past'').

And please, don't even talk about the children in Fates. I hate them already.

There was Gaiden, which was mostly unrelated to Shadow Dragon, but happened to have four characters from it. Although at the time I guess the rules of the series hadn't been established, and we never got returning characters from an otherwise unrelated story again until Fates (well, aside from Awakening's Einherjar).

As much as I like Lucina and co, they have their own game. They only put Owain, Inigo and Severa in Fates because of the popularity poll and I think that's enough. Besides, with all the DLC we got in Awakening, there is no need to do another game just for them (ok I lied, I want to play the ''escape to the past'').

Lucina had the first place in that popularity poll though (and Chrom beat Gaius). So, it's clear they didn't want to feature story relevant character as part of the returning crew.

Edited by NeonZ

Yes.

It already feels like FFT when having Minerva, amiibo characters helping you out in the game! :D

Sucks that they all have to be paid to be in the game while in Awakening, most of them were free!

Lucina had the first place in that popularity poll though (and Chrom beat Gaius). So, it's clear they didn't want to feature story relevant character as part of the returning crew.

If Lucina would not have make it into smash (or only as a palette swap for Marth), I'm sure Lucina would be as part of the returning crew. But that still could have work with Amiibo Lucina, just a little confusing).

(Imagine a battle conversation between the real Lucina and Amiibo Lucina).

I'm still waiting for a traduction for the DLC because it's seems easy to change a character's name and clothes (because let's be real, Lucina's clothes are a little too obvious for being able to be incognito.

Yes.

It already feels like FFT when having Minerva, amiibo characters helping you out in the game! :D

Sucks that they all have to be paid to be in the game while in Awakening, most of them were free!

Free is nice but Awakening half-assed those bonus characters so I don't think it was really worth it. I'd rather have fewer, uniquely designed characters.

Haven't we already got Lodestar and Great Lord already ? (Which, I admit, are the least favorite of mine.)

I'm still waiting for anyone, I mean, ANYONE, who has the bright idea of making a Halberdier DLC.

Anyway, if Lucina is included, Robin will definitely tag along - which isn't that great unless they take their time and flesh out a lot of the materials.

Anyway, if Lucina is included, Robin will definitely tag along - which isn't that great unless they take their time and flesh out a lot of the materials.

Why? Besides, Lucina is going to be in Project X Zone 2 with no Robin around.

I am glad that Lucina is not a proper character in Fates and that her amiibo is a non-canon version of her. Since unlike Inigo, Owain, and Severa every one of her pairings (sans with Owain or Inigo) and her possible epilouges are still equally valid "canons".

I mean, this is complete bias on my part, as I would have flipped me shit if they ruined one of my true OTPs.