Is Gaiden, Genealogy of the Holy War, and Thracia 776 worth playing?

SSbardock84

Worth Playing?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Gaiden?

2. 2. Genealogy of Holy War?

3. 3. Thracia 776

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say this is false, given FE8, 9, 13 for example.

FE5 gives you much more to snap it in half than 8 and 9, 8 and 9 are just easier games.

While 8 and 9 do have Seth and Titania and such, they are merely 1 thing each to snap it mostly while you slowly gain others, while Thracia you have multiple options out the gate and continue to get more and more and more.

Edited by Jedi

FE5 gives you much more to snap it in half than 8 and 9, 8 and 9 are just easier games.

While 8 and 9 do have Seth and Titania and such, they are merely 1 thing each to snap it mostly while you slowly gain others, while Thracia you have multiple options out the gate and continue to get more and more and more.

FE8 is a game that lets you grind which instantly makes it easier to break. FE9 bonus exp is ridiculous too.

FE5 requires some thinking and knowledge of its mechanics. The games I mentioned are just, "Here, have vast amounts of exp to over-level your units, no thinking required". FE9 would be the exception if it wasn't for the sheer amount of bexp it gives you.

Thracia is one of the harder games to snap, expecially because so much of the difficulty don't comes from raw stats.

And FE4, 8, 9 and 13 are incredibily easy.

Edited by ENS

Gaiden is an underrated game imo, definitely worth the time to play it. It's true it hasn't aged well and I think I like other Fire Emblems more, but if you have a bit of foresight into what to expect regarding its gameplay (eg. world map, spells, items, promotions) it really doesn't hamper on the experience you'll receive, and I actually think said gameplay is the best aspect of the game, it's comparatively one of the freshest Fire Emblems to play in terms of it. I think the best way to describe it is as some fruit that would've gone off but you left it in the fridge so it didn't.

Genealogy of the Holy War is only confusing if you already have some foresight; I'd recommend going in with a significant amount or a minimal amount. Its massive maps weren't much of a problem, but it's easily one of the most backtrack-heavy games I've played, empowered by how little you tend to have to do in other Fire Emblems. Many turns are spent just moving, which can be especially tedious. But it does a lot of things right and does those right things expertly well, definitely play that too, preferably after Gaiden.

I know absolutely nothing about Thracia, though.

FE8 is a game that lets you grind which instantly makes it easier to break. FE9 bonus exp is ridiculous too.

FE5 requires some thinking and knowledge of its mechanics. The games I mentioned are just, "Here, have vast amounts of exp to over-level your units, no thinking required". FE9 would be the exception if it wasn't for the sheer amount of bexp it gives you.

I meant "easier to break" assuming the player already knows the tricks to FE5, which aren't hard to figure out after a playthrough. Given the OPness certain weapon types have in that game it's pretty easy to realize how far they can be exploited. Heck, FE5 sort of motivates you to break it, given it's the only way to achieve the highest ranks, and you can do that without even the need to grind.

FE8 and FE13 can be broken with map grinding, and FE9 with BExp, but why even do that when the games are perfectly (and easily) beatable without doing any of that? All you're doing by breaking those games is going from Easy to Uber Easy. Is it worth grinding for dozens of turns just for that?

Thracia is one of the harder games to snap, expecially because so much of the difficulty don't comes from raw stats.

Not even. It's one of the easiest FE's to break wide open.

You get a super warp, most of your combat units are outright amazing on delivery, you have Asvel, Othin, Dagda, Finn and a number of other people who just curbstomp everything.

Not to mention the scrolls that prevent you from being crit. Or the skill set ups you can do.

Edited by Jedi

FE4 can be solo'd by Sigurd, then Seliph.

FE6 is normal.

FE7 it's way easier by dumping stuff into Marcus, and in general is not that hard.

FE8 is solo'd by Seth. If you don't use him, it's solo'd by Franz and Vanessa.

FE9 is solo'd by Ike. Or Titania. Or Haar. Or some character who joined you from the first chapter, the choice is your.

FE10 is normal.

FE11 is normal, until you find warp in chapter... 6?

FE12 is the best game by a gameplay view.

FE13 is solo'd by Chrom and Robin.

Thracia can't be solo'd by anyone and even if you dump stuff into one character many treats the game uses are of strategical nature and you need to think anyway.

Even warp is not a button for win but needs logic.

Edited by ENS

Also which one has the best characters would you guys say?

Gaiden has barely any characterization.

FE4 has by far the most of the three. Whether or not you'll like it is another matter, but most would agree that the characters are pretty well done. While there are no support conversations yet, characters can talk to each other at certain points in the story, and that can vary depending on actions. It's actually pretty interesting how the conversations actually go along with the story, rather than in other games where any conversation can happen at almost any time.

FE5, despite not having as many conversations as FE4, has arguably better written dialogue than FE4 (although fan translations are the cause of some of that). I'd argue that Leaf is a much better protagonist than Sigurd or Seliph (although I haven't finished FE5). But overall, I'd say FE4 has the best characters, since it has the most characterization.

Breaking FE5 requires more knowledge about the game, but once you know how to break it it becomes like, utterly hilarious.

Probably not even the easiest example, but one I like to use is Elite Sword+Scrolls Mareeta into a 12 move unit with like 16 bld and Astra/Luna/Sol together. It's utterly unnecessary (except the 16 build, I like capturing shit), but it's so funny.

Another thing I like to do is capture enemy healers for their staves. I had so much warp/rewarp by the end I could just do whatever I want with it.

I meant "easier to break" assuming the player already knows the tricks to FE5, which aren't hard to figure out after a playthrough. Given the OPness certain weapon types have in that game it's pretty easy to realize how far they can be exploited. Heck, FE5 sort of motivates you to break it, given it's the only way to achieve the highest ranks, and you can do that without even the need to grind.

FE8 and FE13 can be broken with map grinding, and FE9 with BExp, but why even do that when the games are perfectly (and easily) beatable without doing any of that? All you're doing by breaking those games is going from Easy to Uber Easy. Is it worth grinding for dozens of turns just for that?

How does any of this make FE5 easier to break than those games?

FE4 can be solo'd by Sigurd, then Seliph.

FE6 is normal.

FE7 it's way easier by dumping stuff into Marcus, and in general is not that hard.

FE8 is solo'd by Seth. If you don't use him, it's solo'd by Franz and Vanessa.

FE9 is solo'd by Ike. Or Titania. Or Haar. Or some character who joined you from the first chapter, the choice is your.

FE10 is normal.

FE11 is normal, until you find warp in chapter... 6?

FE12 is the best game by a gameplay view.

FE13 is solo'd by Chrom and Robin.

Thracia can't be solo'd by anyone and even if you dump stuff into one character many treats the game uses are of strategical nature and you need to think anyway.

Even warp is not a button for win but needs logic.

Thracia can be soloed by Leif and a member on the forum has done just that.

When most people say FE5 is hard, they speak of the first playthrough. Doubly so if you're playing it blind.

Even some aspects can drive even a vet insane. Xavier's the most obvious instance where more often than not, people will just say "Fuck it".

one can't deny that it's easier to solo FE4 with the lords there, or soloing FE13 with Robin (or Chrom even), or soloing FE9 with Ike. Leaf struggles to solo Thracia, whereas the others don't have as many issues.

You are welcome, SSBardock.

Gaiden it's not worth.

Geneaology and Thracia yes. Holy shit yes. And, people please, play Thracia before talk about it or spread misconceptions. It's not hard.

And Geneaology is the easier FE with SS, PoR and Awakening.

Leif is the best character in the saga, and he is in both games, so it's a total win.

So Thracia is supposed to be right after Genealogy right? I never realized that until I was looking at the character lists that it was the same Fire Emblem realm.

Gaiden has barely any characterization.

FE4 has by far the most of the three. Whether or not you'll like it is another matter, but most would agree that the characters are pretty well done. While there are no support conversations yet, characters can talk to each other at certain points in the story, and that can vary depending on actions. It's actually pretty interesting how the conversations actually go along with the story, rather than in other games where any conversation can happen at almost any time.

FE5, despite not having as many conversations as FE4, has arguably better written dialogue than FE4 (although fan translations are the cause of some of that). I'd argue that Leaf is a much better protagonist than Sigurd or Seliph (although I haven't finished FE5). But overall, I'd say FE4 has the best characters, since it has the most characterization.

Okay, cool thanks. Isn't Sigurd the main character in the first part of the game and Seliph the main character in the second part? Its like a two part game isn't it and Seliph is Sigurd's son right? Sorry for all the questions, just curious.

Okay, cool thanks. Isn't Sigurd the main character in the first part of the game and Seliph the main character in the second part? Its like a two part game isn't it and Seliph is Sigurd's son right? Sorry for all the questions, just curious.

Yep, that's how it is.

Thracia isn't a sequel to genealogy it's a midquel.

also gaidens characters are pretty bare bones which is excusexcusable because it's an NES game.

genealogy has great characters which personally rank among my favourites in the series although if you want to see them fleshed out more than read the manga.

thracia has better dialogue but overall less interesting characters the best are the returning characters for genealogy (especially finn) still like the new cast though. overall it ranks middle of the road in terms of characters.

Yep, that's how it is.

Cool thanks.

Thracia isn't a sequel to genealogy it's a midquel.

also gaidens characters are pretty bare bones which is excusexcusable because it's an NES game.

genealogy has great characters which personally rank among my favourites in the series although if you want to see them fleshed out more than read the manga.

thracia has better dialogue but overall less interesting characters the best are the returning characters for genealogy (especially finn) still like the new cast though. overall it ranks middle of the road in terms of characters.

Midquel? Never heard that word. So is it during Genealogy then or like in between part 1 and part 2 of Genealogy?

Edited by SSbardock84

Cool thanks.

Midquel? Never heard that word. So is it during Genealogy then or like in between part 1 and part 2 of Genealogy?

Yeah, it happens during Genealogy. Not exactly between the two parts, but it is presumably some time before part 2.

Cool thanks.

It takes place between like Chapter 5/6 and 8/9 on FE4.

Oh and to answer your question, defiantly play 4 and 5 but I am unsure of 2 since I have not played it yet.

Edited by Azz

Yeah, it happens during Genealogy. Not exactly between the two parts, but it is presumably some time before part 2.

Okay I getcha thanks.

It takes place between like Chapter 5/6 and 8/9 on FE4.

Oh and to answer your question, defiantly play 4 and 5 but I am unsure of 2 since I have not played it yet.

Kind of weird that they have a game in between like that, thanks. I'm definitely going to start these soon. I'll probably play Gaiden after games 4 and 5.

Thracia is a midquel to Geneaology.

It takes place in its second half, doing a bit or retconning. Some characters appears in both.

I don't doubt the player who solo'd Thracia only with Leif had a deep knowledge of the game. Also I'm ready to bet warp was involved, and Saphy using it.

FE4, 8, 9 and 13 can be solo'd by newcommers.