Unit Practicality Thread

Wayward Alchemist

I was not aware Paralogue's scaled in this game (unlike Awakening). That is kind of a bummer, but it can't be helped. I guess I could use the 16 Unit Team as a launching point; 8 Males, 8 Females. That means 8 Pairs and about 8-9 Children without much grinding at all. Using My Castle for the other 4 or so Pairs honestly doesn't sound too bad. Plus, it isn't like I need to have every member of the Pairing be viable (Benoit could be a Pair Bot for Serena or vice versa).

Actually (completely off topic), I have another question; How plentiful are Child Seals? I've heard they essentially scale the child to the groups (?) average level so they can be immediately useful. I haven't heard them mentioned a whole ton in this thread, so are they just very few and far between?

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every child seems to have one in their inventory if they join late enough (C19-ish, not sure exactly).

I'm not 100% sure if the level they're sent to is connected to the average level of the army (I do end up neglecting a good half of them so getting to lv. 2 or 6 promoted wouldn't make much sense arithmetically).

All of the children join with Child Seals in their inventory when you recruit them after completing chapter 18 in all of the routes.(Actually they may join with a Master Seal after 18, and then child seals after 19. Same difference either way)

Edited by Shephen

I was not aware Paralogue's scaled in this game (unlike Awakening). That is kind of a bummer, but it can't be helped. I guess I could use the 16 Unit Team as a launching point; 8 Males, 8 Females. That means 8 Pairs and about 8-9 Children without much grinding at all. Using My Castle for the other 4 or so Pairs honestly doesn't sound too bad. Plus, it isn't like I need to have every member of the Pairing be viable (Benoit could be a Pair Bot for Serena or vice versa).

Actually (completely off topic), I have another question; How plentiful are Child Seals? I've heard they essentially scale the child to the groups (?) average level so they can be immediately useful. I haven't heard them mentioned a whole ton in this thread, so are they just very few and far between?

For Child Seal, it has nothing to do with average level.

Between ch18&ch19 the level will be 2.

Between ch19&ch20 the level will be 4.

Between ch26&ch27 the level will be 18.

I've been thinking my pairings over. I doubt I'll be getting every kid (out of bias or otherwise) so I've decided to ask this first: which kids should I get? There's only a few I'm 100% getting.

Conquest: Midoriko, Shigure, Soleil (bias, marrying Lazward), Velour, Ophelia

Birthright: Shinonome, Kinu (bias again, marrying Nishiki)

Revelation: The royal children, Midoriko

As far as kids I'm 100% not getting, probably the Awakening expies on Birthright. But I'm flexible if there's a good enough reason to. Not Shara though tbh.

I mean you can get any kids you want. Their usefulness depends on their parents, class and join time. There are a lot of kids that have their paralog filled with cool stuff. Matoi joins with a Swordslayer. Ophelia has a Reverse Tome, Horse God, Spirit Dust and some other tome. Soleil and Sophie have stat boosters if the npc's survive. You can complete all the routes without them and most of the time they aren't much better than their parents(sometimes worse and sometimes better).

I mean you can get any kids you want. Their usefulness depends on their parents, class and join time. There are a lot of kids that have their paralog filled with cool stuff. Matoi joins with a Swordslayer. Ophelia has a Reverse Tome, Horse God, Spirit Dust and some other tome. Soleil and Sophie have stat boosters if the npc's survive. You can complete all the routes without them and most of the time they aren't much better than their parents(sometimes worse and sometimes better).

Yeah but usually some are better gotten then others - I believe you said Lutz was a good choice.

Although I have a general sense of it, to clarify, which children do you think are clearly better than their fixed parents, which do you think are clearly worse, and which are about the same?

For example, I'd guess that Matoi is clearly better than Tsubaki, and I might guess that Lutz is better than Arthur, but I might imagine that Deere is clearly worse than Jakob [Jakob's personal skill might be really helpful to the Avatar, for example].

What do you think in general on this subject?

Yeah but usually some are better gotten then others - I believe you said Lutz was a good choice.

Then I would break it down like this.

For Hoshido: Great Kids - Matoi > Sophie > Shigure. Good Kids - Deere > Grey > Shinonome > Kinu > Hisame. Meh/Bad Kids - Kanna > Midoriko > Mitame > Kisagre > Shara

For Nohr: Great Kids - Lutz > Velour > Shigure > Foleo. Good Kids - Deere > Sophie > Eponine > Siegbert. Meh/Bad Kids - Midoriko > Ophelia > Kanna > Soliel > Ignis.

Take that as you will.

Although I have a general sense of it, to clarify, which children do you think are clearly better than their fixed parents, which do you think are clearly worse, and which are about the same?

For example, I'd guess that Matoi is clearly better than Tsubaki, and I might guess that Lutz is better than Arthur, but I might imagine that Deere is clearly worse than Jakob [Jakob's personal skill might be really helpful to the Avatar, for example].

What do you think in general on this subject?

Assuming going with good pairings and not taking into account the availability gap with most of the kids and their dads, then I would only consider Lutz, Velour and Ophelia to be better than their dads. One for a better class, another because of better stats, and the other because Odin. Shino, Shigure, Foleo and I guess Siegbert get their special little tier since their parents are just lol. Sophie, Matoi, Hisame, Grey, Mitama, Syalla, Eponine, Soliel and I guess Ignis I would consider to be around their parents level(with variation). The rest I would consider to be worse.

Matoi is only really better if you run physical Baki. If you run magical Baki then she will be worse since she will have worse bulk(current Sakura!Matoi has +2 hp, and -7 Def over the runs current Baki(granted Baki is +2 from average)) and would be better off just inheriting Rally mag from mom and just rally botting Baki and Hinoka for the extra power. Similar situations like these apply to most of the kids in the equal tier.

Then I would break it down like this.

For Hoshido: Great Kids - Matoi > Sophie > Shigure. Good Kids - Deere > Grey > Shinonome > Kinu > Hisame. Meh/Bad Kids - Kanna > Midoriko > Mitame > Kisagre > Shara

For Nohr: Great Kids - Lutz > Velour > Shigure > Foleo. Good Kids - Deere > Sophie > Eponine > Siegbert. Meh/Bad Kids - Midoriko > Ophelia > Kanna > Soliel > Ignis.

Take that as you will.

Thank you. I'll probably have to shift between personal bias and what'd be best for the team. Appreciated though.

For Child Seal, it has nothing to do with average level.

Between ch18&ch19 the level will be 2.

Between ch19&ch20 the level will be 4.

Between ch26&ch27 the level will be 18.

Sounds like children make swell endgame units then.

I've been thinking my pairings over. I doubt I'll be getting every kid (out of bias or otherwise) so I've decided to ask this first: which kids should I get? There's only a few I'm 100% getting.

Conquest: Midoriko, Shigure, Soleil (bias, marrying Lazward), Velour, Ophelia

Birthright: Shinonome, Kinu (bias again, marrying Nishiki)

Revelation: The royal children, Midoriko

As far as kids I'm 100% not getting, probably the Awakening expies on Birthright. But I'm flexible if there's a good enough reason to. Not Shara though tbh.

With Shephen I've decided:

Conquest: Shigure, Soleil, Velour, Eponine, Midoriko, Foleo, possibly Ophelia if I can beat Odin into shape

Birthright: Shinonome, Kinu, Shigure, Matoi, Sophie

To anyone who can test it out, how viable do you think Odin would be as a Dread Fighter? His Growths honestly seem pretty good;

HP: 70%

Str: 50%

Mag: 35%

Skl: 60%

Spd: 50%

Lck: 50%

Def: 45%

Res: 40%

Considering Odin is pretty bad (at least from what I've heard), I think making him a Dread Fighter might give him a niche as a potential Mixed Attacker/Hidden Weapon specialst. To anyone who can clarify, would his bases when changed be useable?

Why mixed attacker? Using Explosive Shuriken / Levin Sword / Bolt Axe in addition to physical weapons you mean? Cause DFs don't use tomes any longer.

I'm not impressed by Dread Fighters tbqh. Dark Fliers have flight, mounted tomes and Galeforce (which is a big deal for Felicia/Jakob mainly).

I was referring to the Magical Physical Weapons (Sorry about that, I could have been way more clear). I was also considering that Nohr doesn't have that many Hidden Weapon users (at least early on), so it may have given him SOMETHING to help him stand out.

Edited by Avalanche

Hmm, that's true. Using Levin Swords off a decent magic stat and potentially with Trueblade's Swordfaire would make him a force to be reckoned with, too. However, he would have three whole weapon ranks to slowly build all the way from E - he would make one of the best recipients of the first Arms Scroll.

Considering you get him fairly early (Chapter 8 I believe) and as far as I know he can class change right away, he at least has an okay amount of time to build at least one Weapon Rank up. Honestly, the main reason I'm trying to find ways to make Odin viable is that I plan on marrying Ophelia, so I need him to have at least semi competent stats...

Edited by Avalanche

Well, the stronger you make Odin and his spouse, the stronger Ophelia you get.

I don't know if I'm simplifying it at all, but doesn't this apply to every single kid in general? If you have one decent parent and their pair-up fodder, you get a strong kid. If they've both gained a lot of levelups, the kid will be great.

On my last Nohr run, I had Camilla marry Flannel, predictably, and the moment Velour Child Seal'd to 20/14, I quickly made her Camilla permanent pair-up partner, whereas Flannel usually fell short of being a strong unit in spite of repeated efforts to feed him kills. I bet the Beaststone+ (with a ridiculous speed bonus enabling her to double Trueblades and Elite Ninja) has something to do with it, though.

Do we know how Child Pair Up bonuses are calculated? I notice it's, just like bases and growths, a mix of the two parents. The bonuses were kinda like Velour's, except with some resistance (Camilla's influence?).

Do we know how Child Pair Up bonuses are calculated? I notice it's, just like bases and growths, a mix of the two parents. The bonuses were kinda like Velour's, except with some resistance (Camilla's influence?).

the Pair Up Bonuses alternate between what the Mother and Father gives at said rank of Support

last I recall though we don't know how children's base stats work exactly

Why mixed attacker? Using Explosive Shuriken / Levin Sword / Bolt Axe in addition to physical weapons you mean? Cause DFs don't use tomes any longer.

I'm not impressed by Dread Fighters tbqh. Dark Fliers have flight, mounted tomes and Galeforce (which is a big deal for Felicia/Jakob mainly).

Erm, yeah, as to that... Galeforce got hit with the nerf bat.

It's still a highly potent skill that many units would desire. DLC restricts access to it as it does some other similarly desirable and gamebreaking things.

It became an evergreen DLC skill with weapons like Yato existing + tonics. Yeah, you can't pair-up, but it's still useful and it's a positive to have, not a negative.

Not that I disagree, but most characters can't possibly expect to acquire it until the game's nearly over.

Edited by Levant Colthearts