Unit Practicality Thread

Wayward Alchemist

I believe the main problems are he's too slow he gets doubled until he gets the level 15 skill from General, Defensive Formation and in at least Conquest the enemies are smart enough to not attack characters that take no damage. Knight and General's lower mobility can be inconvenient.

Defensive Formation is a must as he only has a 15% speed growth as a knight and 10% as a general. Maximizing Speed pairup and using tonics and other bonus would hopefully be enough as I don't know if reclassing him would be worth it.

It does even seem like the game is against him. His only real buddy options seems to be Revelation's Hayato giving him Diviner.

Bear knight DLC when? https://kantopia.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/81.jpg

Minor point, but I thought Defensive Formation was the Lv. 5 General skill.

Does an early promotion benefit him at all to get to Defensive Formation earlier, or is it not worth it?

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does an early promotion benefit him at all to get to Defensive Formation earlier, or is it not worth it?

You're right. I corrected my post.

Fates has less of a experience penalty for promoting early so maybe. Most people just seem to use him as a pairup fodder if at all

Honestly I'd say that Benny is like a Kellam or a Gilliam: You put him somewhere, he tanks with his face and pokes at his enemies while one of your Mages or Archers or anyone with a 2 range weapon that can double hides behind him and mops up his leftovers. The only stats that really matter to him are his Defenses, which he'll have plenty of. Also, he joins late and he won't be getting that much EXP because he doesn't have Effie's abhorrent Strength to OHKO, so he won't be getting enough EXP to justify trying to get him to 20/5 by endgame let alone 20/20. The immediate boost from early promotion is really the only thing that will make his use justifiable in Lunatic mode.

Training Benny is normal mode is a piece of cake. He can get defensive formation early enough if you plan on using him. On Hard, his problem starts to show a lot, but he's still more viable with Charlotte backing him up. In Lunatic, the game just hates him, and he'll want to be instapromoted for any chance.

Effie > Benny because she's a far better combat unit. But Benny isnt a slouch himself. But I would invest in choosing lancer for your secondary before marrying him. Lancefaire and breaking sky insures him a OHKO when used regularly on most enemies.

"Being doubled" and "not receiving damage" shouldn't be his problems at the same time.

Otherwise people are complaining about Benny being doubled by 0*2 or 1*2. That sounds strange.

The latter is actually his problem. He has to use a Blessed Lance to receive damage from N14 Samurais and Sky Knights, while Effie/Felicia are not nearby.

Early promotion gives him +4 Def and makes the problem worse.

Edited by Tooru

"Being doubled" and "not receiving damage" shouldn't be his problems at the same time.

Otherwise people are complaining about Benny being doubled by 0*2 or 1*2. That sounds strange.

The latter is actually his problem. He has to use a Blessed Lance to receive damage from N14 Samurais and Sky Knights, while Effie/Felicia are not nearby.

Early promotion gives him +4 Def and makes the problem worse.

Oh, alright then. I didn't know his defense was that good that it caused problems. I should've figured because 19 does seem really good for Ch. 13. The 6 speed kinda worried me at a first glance.

So from what I've made out of several discussion, the general concensus is Effie > Benny. I plan on marrying Benny in my Nohr run since I'm a softie for softies, and want to know what I'm getting into. So just a couple questions

1. Is he bad or just simply outclassed by Effie?

2. What class/skills would be best for him?

3. What assets would be optimal for my MC? I'm not too worried about making Ignis super strong, as I probably won't worry about the Nohrian children until I play Revelation.

4. Why aren't more people talking about how adorable he is?

Benoit is the worst unit in Nohr.

1) He's bad. No supports, 4 mov, and 6 speed when the mid game is starting. 6 spd + 15 growth means he has to go to defensive formation and he has to do it immediately (By that point even Effie can be ready for promotion, hop on a horse, and go god mode for the rest of the game), so he's promoting to a 5 mov class when your whole team is potentially mounted and his promoted exp gain makes it so that he has to grab promote enemies for exp, which he's facing big competition for. There's also the fact that Leo is joining and that Flannel just shits on Benoit in everything despite joining one chapter later.

2) Go for Defensive Formation then make him a Great Knight.

3) Benoit gives thwomp pair up bonuses, so you'll probably want +spd.

4) I dunno but he really is a sweetheart.

Do you have a chance to actually make Orochi usefull in Hoshido Hard/Lunatic (in fates i actually might try Lunatic run) so i wonder as a magic unit she does have any chance to work. I really have problem with her speed, i think not only i do.

Benoit is the worst unit in Nohr.

1) He's bad. No supports, 4 mov, and 6 speed when the mid game is starting. 6 spd + 15 growth means he has to go to defensive formation and he has to do it immediately (By that point even Effie can be ready for promotion, hop on a horse, and go god mode for the rest of the game), so he's promoting to a 5 mov class when your whole team is potentially mounted and his promoted exp gain makes it so that he has to grab promote enemies for exp, which he's facing big competition for. There's also the fact that Leo is joining and that Flannel just shits on Benoit in everything despite joining one chapter later.

2) Go for Defensive Formation then make him a Great Knight.

3) Benoit gives thwomp pair up bonuses, so you'll probably want +spd.

4) I dunno but he really is a sweetheart.

So somebody who immediately promotes him will get the worst unit...

BTW how many turns you need to get all EXP in N21?

So somebody who immediately promotes him will get the worst unit...

BTW how many turns you need to get all EXP in N21?

Actually, yes. He's the only unit I can think of aside from Mozume that bring nothing to the table. I hate waving around play speed accusations, but you don't even have to be an efficiency nut to see his issues.

I couldn't tell you how many turns it takes to get all the exp in C21. I could tell you how many turns you can escape the map in, because that's the actual objective. I'm not sure why "get all exp" is a concern.

Actually, yes. He's the only unit I can think of aside from Mozume that bring nothing to the table. I hate waving around play speed accusations, but you don't even have to be an efficiency nut to see his issues.

I couldn't tell you how many turns it takes to get all the exp in C21. I could tell you how many turns you can escape the map in, because that's the actual objective. I'm not sure why "get all exp" is a concern.

Because you always become angry when I say you are not good at doing this.

But you aren't. You can't be good at something you never manage to do.

There are some skippable challenges in Nohr. Being skippable doesn't mean we should not try it, especially when we choose Conquest route for its difficulty.

Some of these are tooooooooo difficult for you and you have to skip them. That is because you don't have units/classes that said to be bad.

Edited by Tooru

Killing everything in Nohr is only a concern in chapter 13 and 19 because the objective is route, and arguably 10 since you are stuck there for 11 turns anyways. He isn't there for chapter 10, and joins behind your forces in chapter 13 so misses most of the map. 19 he would be sort of useful in since foxes are annoying, but Wyvern Lord Camilla rolls over that map. Past that Benny is doing much aside from guard stance because pretty much all of the options you get are better.

Oh wow, thanks guys for all the help.

It's going to be hard, but I'm going to make him work somehow. I'll probably just end up going +Spd, -Def/-Lck Lance Fighter for Corrin. Lancefaire sounds fun on him. But I still want to keep him a hyper tank, so I still don't know. I'll figure it out. Thanks again!

Did you buy those skills for him?

Yep. Too lazy to do it all by hand.

I just had him protect Mozu because defense was the only thing she was bad at. But with a brave lance, he pulled his own weight pretty well.

1471102_1676938842588125_116476126636979

Benny with Charlotte pair up can OHKO all the mages that surround him, and the speed boost he gets prevents him from getting doubled. Charlotte can't do that, so either way you're forced to use him. Just make sure Orochi doesn't reach him. Outside of the fact that Charlotte wants to marry Xander asap, he's a great unit who doesn't take much from his join chapter to be useful. I don't even think speed is an issue really, since nothing can really hurt him. Maybe for high leveled magic users or something of the like. Though I can understand people not liking his 4 movement. Which is why I bought him +1 move.

Benny with Charlotte pair up can OHKO all the mages that surround him, and the speed boost he gets prevents him from getting doubled. Charlotte can't do that, so either way you're forced to use him. Just make sure Orochi doesn't reach him. Outside of the fact that Charlotte wants to marry Xander asap, he's a great unit who doesn't take much from his join chapter to be useful. I don't even think speed is an issue really, since nothing can really hurt him. Maybe for high leveled magic users or something of the like. Though I can understand people not liking his 4 movement. Which is why I bought him +1 move.

Well low movement is one of the actual Knights problem right?

If i would use Benny, i would pair Charlotte with him, i know that XanderxCharlotte is great however i somehow don't like this pairing too much lol

If i need to choose Zerk for Xander i would reclass Pieri and make her pair up fodder lol.

I mean, sure, you can do that. Charlotte is a great wife for anyone, and actually cancels out Ignis' negative speed mod. Plus STR/SPD pair up for Benny ensures he will OHKO most everything, it's pretty great. However, the main problem is Benny already having fighter as a class, but it shouldn't be too big of an issue since he'll want to stay as a general/great knight anyway. Or you could make Charlotte the lead, and have Benny's great DEF boost make her viable early on and a savage by endgame.

If i need to choose Zerk for Xander i would reclass Pieri and make her pair up fodder lol.

Peri would need to get an A+ support with Charlotte before she'd be able to become a Berserker. Her secondary class is Dark Mage, not Fighter.

Edited by BlueSS1

Peri would need to get an A+ support with Charlotte before she'd be able to become a Berserker. Her secondary class is Dark Mage, not Fighter.

You think i don't know that? And is A+ with Charlotte any problem? I don't see any~

Choice or not, Charlotte wants that royal booty asap so Xander can tear up the battlefield. She's already a fighter, and she's a better mother/pair up wife. It's a shame that she can only marry one guy, because plenty of men want her too. 8STR/5SPD is too good.

Not to mention A+ Charlotte with Peri and using a reclass seal just for a worst version just isn't as good. A choice, for sure, but not practical in comparison.