Unit Practicality Thread

Wayward Alchemist

Why would you immediately change Camilla? She's more than good enough when you get her, no need to waste your limited parallel seals on her when she's going to kick ass just as hard as an RK. Besides, Deadly Breath is an amazing ability. I'd at least wait to snag that before changing her, and by that point you'll have much easier access to parallel seals, too.

Probably to work on lance rank?

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably to work on lance rank?

Can't you still use Axes as a Wyvern Lord? There aren't that many Axe users in Nohr, so I don't see why Camilla primarily has to be a Lance user.

Also, you only need a D rank in Lances for Beast Killer (if that's your aim), so you could probably still raise her rank even with a fairly late reclass.

Why would you immediately change Camilla? She's more than good enough when you get her, no need to waste your limited parallel seals on her when she's going to kick ass just as hard as an RK. Besides, Deadly Breath is an amazing ability. I'd at least wait to snag that before changing her, and by that point you'll have much easier access to parallel seals, too.

Mainly for using Beast Killer in Nohr 19.

Camilla probably learns Deadly Breath in Nohr 17 or later. Nohr 18 must be finished in 20 turns so there may not be enough battles to reach D Rank.

Of course we can beat Nohr 19 without Beast Killer, or give Beast Killer to other units. But this chapter is so hard that once you find out good tactics, you may not want to try anything absolutely different as if you are challenging another chapter.

My Camilla always has E-Lance after beating Nohr route.

But I believe there must be many other "asap" things for myself, and you may ask why.

The main thing is that there's largely no really good mixed users, so any user of Revenant Knight would be better off either in their magic class, or as Wyvern Lord

For Hinoka, Rally Speed and Mirror Strike aren't really that important, and she has plenty of speed largely speaking, so I don't really think there's much of a reason to not change her to a Lance Fighter immediately

Heres a good Kamui: Female +Str -Luck. S-rank Great Knight Jacob. Go Ninja to Elite Ninja. Maybe forge a +2 Iron Kunai. With Jacob pair up, Kamui gets +5 Str, +2 Skill, +1 Spd, +6! Def, (Personal) +3 Res (Personal) and +20 Avo (15 from Personal and 5 from class), and plus 1 move! Ninja are fast so Kamui should be able double fine. I believe Ninjas have a highish res growth, so Great Knight Jacob > Paladin Jacob. Elite Ninja gives Kamui access to Yato again, as well as reliable Hidden Weapons.

Yeah Hidden Weapons are good. How is leveling in this game? If it's not too bad it might be worth nabbing Luna or something. Also Copycat for both of them would be awesome but it might be tricky. Oboro (the Shuriken, not the chick) might be doable if Corrin's speed is good enough but if not Iron or Steel is our best bet.

Should we also get into in-game "practical pairings" in this thread.

After all, many of the "optimal pairings" in the sense of PvP/maxed out play are assuming stat mods that (normally) won't come into play during the main game, or otherwise are assuming skills that you aren't realistically going to be picking up during the main game, etc.

So the in-game "practical pairings" would be different than the post-game "optimal pairings" in some cases.

We can assume no-grind, no skill-buying…. what do you think?

Well Femui x GK Jakob has been stated before for the huge boost in Strength and defenses and has great availability, Effie is a based goddess in Lunatic (at least in Nohr) but I've seen her with a slight problem with hit rates but Arthur boosts Skl and Str and Def as a Hero so there is no reason for that not to happen considering the availability.

In terms of practicality, who would be a better option for Xander-- Charlotte or Luna? I know most people refer to Charlotte, but I heard Luna provides decent offensive pair-up bonuses while providing Mov +1 as a Bow Knight. Xander would also provide Mov +1 to Luna (if for any chance, you decided to make Luna the lead unit), so they'd both be able to get to places easily.

Or consequently, couldn't you also reclass Luna to Falcon Warrior to keep the Mov +1 while providing flying ferry services?

In terms of practicality, who would be a better option for Xander-- Charlotte or Luna? I know most people refer to Charlotte, but I heard Luna provides decent offensive pair-up bonuses while providing Mov +1 as a Bow Knight. Xander would also provide Mov +1 to Luna (if for any chance, you decided to make Luna the lead unit), so they'd both be able to get to places easily.

Or consequently, couldn't you also reclass Luna to Falcon Warrior to keep the Mov +1 while providing flying ferry services?

Honestly? Felicia. He can get Tomebreaker and destroy everything in his path with no fear of retribution. If you are on IK it's even better because he can get Swordfaire from Ryoma.

Luna is best for rally speeding, healing and rescue skipping. Charlotte is best for Xander because of that massive +8 str and +5 spd at S. On top of Xander's high defense, it allows you to drop him in the middle of enemies and have him ORKO everyone. If you are using Leon, Id rather pair Felicia with him, but Luna works.

Heres a good Kamui: Female +Str -Luck. S-rank Great Knight Jacob. Go Ninja to Elite Ninja. Maybe forge a +2 Iron Kunai. With Jacob pair up, Kamui gets +5 Str, +2 Skill, +1 Spd, +6! Def, (Personal) +3 Res (Personal) and +20 Avo (15 from Personal and 5 from class), and plus 1 move! Ninja are fast so Kamui should be able double fine. I believe Ninjas have a highish res growth, so Great Knight Jacob > Paladin Jacob. Elite Ninja gives Kamui access to Yato again, as well as reliable Hidden Weapons.

I dunno about you, but I think the Luck flaw is shooting yourself in the foot, potentially so badly that the bullet winds up ricocheting back into your gun, which explodes and takes your hand off...

Edited by Levant Colthearts

I dunno about you, but I think the Luck flaw is shooting yourself in the foot, potentially so badly that the bullet winds up ricocheting back into your gun, which explodes and takes your hand off...

Maybe, I haven't played the game. Something like -Mag or -Skill might be better. I do know that Goddess Icons now give +4, so you could try using those to patch up MU's luck.

Luna and Felicia are better off doing their own things than being Xander's pair up fodder. Charlotte isn't that good as a combat unit and you don't really lose anything for making her fodder for Xander. Felecia doesn't really work well with Xander either since her bonuses aren't that great for him(like Charlotte or Luna's) and he can't make any use of reclassing with her since E ranks late into the game. Granted Xander doesn't need to reclass to begin with since he is so good to begin with. If anything he would like Bow Knight from Laz or Luna.

In terms of flaws for Kamui, it should pretty much always be -luck. It's only a -2 to base and you get a goddess icon in chapter 4 which is +4 luck right there. -20% growth hurts, but Kamui still has a fairly decent growth and luck is only noticeable in extreme highs or lows. If you are really paranoid about it, you can always take a -mag if you aren't planning on using any magic weaponry.

I want to know if you need a pair up unit for Camilla. She has crazy stats throughout most of the game, although near endgame she might have speed problems. Even that doesn't matter because most the endgame chapters can be skipped. I was thinking to pair her with Kaze because of the +Spd and Move but then you are giving up one really good unit.

In terms of flaws for Kamui, it should pretty much always be -luck. It's only a -2 to base and you get a goddess icon in chapter 4 which is +4 luck right there. -20% growth hurts, but Kamui still has a fairly decent growth and luck is only noticeable in extreme highs or lows. If you are really paranoid about it, you can always take a -mag if you aren't planning on using any magic weaponry.

I don't like -Luck because being susceptible to enemy critical hits is just no bueno, especially in a game where weapons that up the critical damage boost from triple to quadruple exist. I wouldn't want the main character (or for that, matter, ANYONE I'm planning on using) to be a liability for crit-related reasons, after all...

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Charlotte all the way.

Luna is best for rally speeding, healing and rescue skipping. Charlotte is best for Xander because of that massive +8 str and +5 spd at S. On top of Xander's high defense, it allows you to drop him in the middle of enemies and have him ORKO everyone. If you are using Leon, Id rather pair Felicia with him, but Luna works.

Agreed. If you're having Luna doing her own thing, then Hero!Felicia is just a complete package for Leo. He never needs magic because Brunhilde is really fucking strong so giving him bulk gives you pretty much another Marx and who can say no to that?

Well Femui x GK Jakob has been stated before for the huge boost in Strength and defenses and has great availability, Effie is a based goddess in Lunatic (at least in Nohr) but I've seen her with a slight problem with hit rates but Arthur boosts Skl and Str and Def as a Hero so there is no reason for that not to happen considering the availability.

Arthur should stick to Fighter/Zerker if you're using him for Effie. The strength boost is pretty important to keep her OHKOs.

The main thing is that there's largely no really good mixed users, so any user of Revenant Knight would be better off either in their magic class, or as Wyvern Lord

For Hinoka, Rally Speed and Mirror Strike aren't really that important, and she has plenty of speed largely speaking, so I don't really think there's much of a reason to not change her to a Lance Fighter immediately

For Hinoka, Lance Fighter is a temporary affair to pad her growths and pick up Breaking Sky them she should stay Falco.

Making a good character better > making a bad character average. It's a statistical increase across the board. There are 2 seals before the level 2 shop. Kamui takes the first to go Cav of Spellcaster or Ninja or whatever and the second can go to Cam. You've also got options in Paladin Jakob, Strategist Felicia, and Fighter Belka. Even Cavalier Harold is probably a thing.

Breath isn't that impressive but if you want it you can have Cam switch back to Rev at --13 so she can pick up Breath and Overbearing in 2 levels.

-Res in the house. It does the least damage. -Mag is a thing though if you every wanted to have a mag growth for some magic weapons then -Res is better.

Of course, -MAG or -RES does also have the effect of curbing your SPD growths, slightly.

Now, about the idea of +MAG Paladin? Those who tried it out, how did it turn out?

You get 50% MAG if +MAG/[not -LCK or -RES], or 45% magic if +MAG/[-LCK or -RES].

I might guess it might be easier to pull off on Nohr, as it has the Levin Sword, which works off the same sword weapon rank that you were already using. In Hoshido, you can use the Shockstick/Shinrai Naginata, but you'd need to build up a new weapon rank to C first, which would make it somewhat more difficult to implement.

-Res in the house. It does the least damage. -Mag is a thing though if you every wanted to have a mag growth for some magic weapons then -Res is better.

I have my misgivings about that one (basically, the fact that -Res also makes your speed growth take a hit, as well as Corrin not exactly having good Res to begin with)...

Agreed. If you're having Luna doing her own thing, then Hero!Felicia is just a complete package for Leo. He never needs magic because Brunhilde is really fucking strong so giving him bulk gives you pretty much another Marx and who can say no to that?

I'd say Bow Knight!Felicia > Hero!Felicia. +1 move > 2 def.

Edited by R O Y B O Y S

Making a good character better > making a bad character average.

Only for the playstyle of "skipping enemies as more as possible".

But not everyone doesn't know how to beat skippable enemies, and has to skip.

Edited by Tooru

I want to know if you need a pair up unit for Camilla. She has crazy stats throughout most of the game, although near endgame she might have speed problems. Even that doesn't matter because most the endgame chapters can be skipped. I was thinking to pair her with Kaze because of the +Spd and Move but then you are giving up one really good unit.

It hurts nothing to have most units out of any pairings.

You can pair them up whenever it is necessary, or not pair up but use Attack Stance.

Edited by Tooru

Making a good character better > making a bad character average. It's a statistical increase across the board. There are 2 seals before the level 2 shop. Kamui takes the first to go Cav of Spellcaster or Ninja or whatever and the second can go to Cam. You've also got options in Paladin Jakob, Strategist Felicia, and Fighter Belka. Even Cavalier Harold is probably a thing.

I agree in principle, but disagree in this case.

Camilla does not need to be made better at this point in the game. She should already be ORKOing everything with axes as an RK. And her magic can actually be useful, as there are actually some enemies in the chapters after her recruitment she can kill with it that she can't with axes. Especially when they're 2 spaces away, magic can double while hand axes cannot. She also makes a good target for the silence staves (or whatever they're called in this game). Particularly in Ch 12, as without Elise, Camilla and Felicia/Jakob are likely the only magic users on your team (unless you specifically brought Nyx/Odin as decoys for the stave), with the latter being your only healer - it is difficult to progress with them having been silenced, but Camilla doesn't care near as much about it.

Almost anybody else can make better use of the second seal than her. Corrin being the obvious choice. Mozume being another great choice, as having 2 archers makes chapter 10 infinitely more manageable. Many of the other choices, if not for their own merits, are worth considering for the pair-up boosts they can give to other characters.

As for the other comment about her needing to reach D-rank lances by 19 - There are several others who can do this as well, but if you really want her specifically, paralogues are a thing. Just save one for before 19. Or, use her in 18 as much as you can and you should have D-rank in lances a few turns into chapter 19.

Okay, so I have a hypothesis here for Mozume (under the assumption that you want to use her for reasons). I think that GKW might be the best clas for her because although it has crap caps, most units will probably end up at about the same level as a cap rammed Mozume due to inferior growths. She retains any Lance rank she has built up (giving her the ability to snag LoD from Weapons Master if you wish) and also has bows and 8 movement.