I'm sad that only one of us here has mentioned Life Is Strange

On that note,

1. Life Is Strange

I haven't cared about the characters within a game so much as I've cared about Max and Chloe since maybe Ace Combat 5. The (superior) ending could have been executed better, but this game is more about the journey than the destination. As well as the story, the ability to rewind time and fuck about with different options (I WAS EATING THOSE BEANS) is pretty enjoyable, and sometimes necessary to work through the puzzles and to achieve the best (or worst) possible outcome between yourself and other characters.

I'd advise anyone and everyone to pick up and play this, since it's not expensive and will take people anything between 15-20 hours depending on how much you explore the world, the characters, the consequences of different decisions, and everything else.

2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

No, you don't need PC mods to have Quiet put on some more moderate clothing. Her GRAY XOF outfit is available within the game after a certain point. Anyway, I enjoyed playing through the game, but I must say that it does get tedious with all the god damned helicopter riding. This is why I chose to deploy with a jeep and drove from point to point between side-ops instead of leaving the map by chopper, then re-entering at a new location. The variety itself is just enough, and the various methods in which you can complete some missions makes it satisfying to go back and finish again in different ways.

If you're a bit of a completionist and want to take all that money you spent on this game to the bank and back, you'll find yourself leveling up your Mother Base, collecting the best troops from the field, raising your second online base, upgrading your favourite weapons to their maximum available level, replaying missions to complete every task, using/abusing the stealth camouflage and infinity bandana (you can have both equipped since the bandana is a head option you select before deployment, and the stealth camo is considered an item like the cardboard box, NVG, etc.). The overall story is lacking in comparison to previous MGS titles, but still it's an entertaining game, overall.

Deus Ex

Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier

Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier EXCEED

The 2nd Super Robot Wars OG + Dark Prison

Radiant Historia

Xenoblade

Nothing that was released this year wowed me. Another year of older games for me.

Deus Ex

Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier

Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier EXCEED

The 2nd Super Robot Wars OG + Dark Prison

Radiant Historia

Xenoblade

Nothing that was released this year wowed me. Another year of older games for me.

Fair enough, but when you say Xenoblade you're talking about the original or the new one? I'm going to assume you're talking about the first game.

Fire emblem radiant dawn

Tales of the abyss

Tales of symphonia: Dawn of the new World

not a single game that released this year but honestly there probably better than what Nintendo pushed out this year

The year I finally got my 3DS.

1. Story of Seasons

2. Harvest Moon- A New Beginning

3. Rune Factory 4

4. Fire Emblem- Awakening

5. Tales of the Abyss

6. Pokemon- ORAS

7. Pokemon- XY

I may have to make a separate thread for this depending on how this pans out, but I'm watching a walkthrough of "Tactics Ogre", and although I've just seen the beginning, I'm pretty much sitting here thinking "where have you been all my life?".

Oddly enough a lot of the games I played the first time this year weren't from this year. Anywho, most of the games I started this year were super good so, here's my top 5 of the games I played this year:

1. Terranigma

The gameplay in this game wasn't really top notch and the magic system was nigh useless except for like one boss that was so difficult otherwise I used it as a last resort. Anyway, the graphical quality, OST and story were astounding; the latter two drove me to tears easily. (and certain songs like the town and credits themes make me cry like a baby to this day)

2. Monster Hunter 4U

I have spent 700 hours on this game please send help Aside from some glaring monster design flaws (I'm looking at you, Garuga instant 5 inch charges that take off 1/2 of my hp), this game has an absurd amount of content, and trying to get good with more than one weapon type will eat up more time than you think. There is also a nice variety of monsters, each with their own attack pattern for a player to learn and ways to screw a player over like causing tremors or poison. Match that with a skill system that lets you customize your hunter in many ways and a battle system that rewards patience and spacing and you have a nice complex game that can easily eat up hours.

3. Undertale

A nice meta game that really knows how to make the player feel. It doesn't just make you feel stuff about the okay story and the surprisingly likable characters, but it also makes you feel stuff about how you play video games, how you're actually interacting with a living world filled with people with their own feelings and goals, as well as how you view video games in general.

4. Guilty Gear Xrd

A very high paced, technical fighter that is surprisingly easy to just pick up and play due to the high amount of hitlag allowing novices to actually combo, which also allows experts to know what move to do next in their combo. However, combos are very situational and, while bread and butters do exist, certain situations allow for very damaging combos, though there are no inifinites or touch of death combos a la MVC3. There are also a butt ton of mechanics like Slashback and Roman Cancels that I won't talk about in depth here but add a lot of well thought complexity to the game. It's basically the most metal anime fighter and anyone who likes quick fighting games with a huge amount of depth should give the series a look.

5. Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix

Anyone who has played vanilla KH2 will tell you it's just mashing X and triangle to win. In the new critical mode, you will get destroyed if you try that. Skills and keyblades were rebalanced somewhat, with some useful skills being added to the game to spice things up. On top of that, there is a lot of postgame content that even a max level character will have difficulty battling. What's amazing about this game, however, is that it was designed to be a fair challenge at level one. Yes, most things do kill you instantly, but they are, for the most part, avoidable on reaction, and Sora still has high damage output to compensate. What separates this from other level 1 modes in KH games is that it isn't purely reliant on dodging constantly and waiting for certain skill cooldowns or handicapping the opponents in some way. And yes, the aforementioned postgame content can be completed at level one, though it is an immense challenge. A challenge that I highly recommend.

For 2015:

- The Legend of Heroes VI - Trails in the Sky First Chapter (Part I)
- The Legend of Heroes VI - Trails in the Sky Second Chapter (Part II)

- Radiant Historia
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
- Persona 3 portable

Edited by Naughx

Here's mine. I was finishing school this semester so I didn't have too much time.

1. Smash 4 I know it was released a year ago but new characters/stages and Sakurai kept me on my toes

2. Fallout 4 pretty awesome improvement over 3 in my opinion lots to do style is better (just started this one)

3. Xenoblade Chronicles X huge world classic JRPG goodness (just started as well)

• 1 month later...

In no order (I think the first 5 are my top 5 of the year but those 5 are not in any order), Games I played/replayed in 2015 that I really loved

* Witcher 3

* Metal Gear Solid 5

* Trails In The Sky FC & SC (for the sake of the top 5 list I am viewing these two games as one game)

* Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker

* Fallout 4

Fire Emblem Awakening (was a little on edge with this title, sure its fire emblem and I love tactics and no other 3ds series has a strategy game of this calibre, but hard mode was easy and lunatic forces you to be very restrictive in strategy and who to train, also hate the children mechanic because it means if you don't replace the parent or normal unit with the child you are purposely handicapping yourself. Thanks to the community here I was able to learn how to use mods and hacks to find a healthy balance).

Smash 3ds

Batman Arkham Knight (Combat is so good)

Bayonetta 2 (Haven't actually played it because I don't have a wii u but I like Bayonetta 1 and the trailers and reviews for Bayonetta 2, I'm going to add it to my list, thats just how much I love hack and slash games)

Deus Ex Human Revolution (wanted to replay it because of Mankind Divided coming out, the game is a lot better than I remembered)

Edited by Raybrand