Voice Acting Courtesy of Corrin In Smash

Uchu~

The two Hoshidan siblings sounded really good. I didn't even think Sakura's voice was too deep, since a lot of 15-year-olds do sound like that in real life. And thank you, Matthew Mercer, for doing my Awakening and Fates hubbies justice :3

But the two Nohrian siblings are just... cringeworthy. Elise sounded like a brat. I know she had some childish moments in the story, but this isn't cute anymore, especially when everyone else is being so serious. And Marx just sounded like a douchebag, especially the way he delivered the line. Their lines also weren't the best: I realize that they pretty much had to change Elise's line because it would be somewhat difficult to differentiate Sakura's "nii-sama" and Elise's "onii-chan" in English without sounding repetitive, but why this terrible line instead? For Marx, they really could've just done a direct translation from the original Japanese dialogue like they did for Ryouma and Sakura. Hopefully they sound better in the actual game.

It's also interesting that Marx has a deeper voice in Japanese but Ryouma has a deeper voice in English... Hmmm, doesn't seem to match their personalities as well...

M!Kamui sounded better than he did in the E3 trailer, and I really liked F!Kamui's voice, so at least that's good. But if dual audio is back, then I'll probably be using Japanese again, so none of this would be relevant :P

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryouma and Sakura sounded fine to me, if a bit strange since I got so used to the japanese voices for them.

Marx and Elise though.. Marx needs to sound much deeper and put a bit more emotion into it, at least for that scene. Konishi managed to perfectly convey Marx's repressed uncertainty with the "Return to us" line. Whoever the English voice actor is sounded really disinterested to me.

Elise made my ears bleed. Yes, her japanese voice was high pitched too, but in a way that didn't make me want to turn down the sound. It also made her come across as really bratty, and not in the way she sometimes was in the original version. More like someone took her toy from the sandbox and now she is demanding it back.

Hope it sounds different in the actual game, or I'll hope for dual audio.

The only thing I really find intersting is that Elise and Sakura call Corrin big brother/sister and Corrin also say big brother, does that mean that they will still call Corrin big brother/sister after S rank,I thought that they would tone down the incest in the west...or they killed the S-rank.

Edited by exizel

Corrin was better than he was in the Nintendo Direct trailer, so that's a plus.

Elise and Marx.. egh... work on it?

A bit off topic but I found it funny that Corrin ditched both his families to go fight some dudes in a random tournament that has nothing to do with anything. I'm treating it as the canon path.

I think the voices were great !~ Except for Marx though..

Elise's voice was good , I think it fits her fine,

Sakura's voice was a bit too deep , but it's not too bad.

Ryouma voice was great ! ^^

Marx voice sounded off...his voice doesn't fit him well , but it isn't that bad. I'm pretty sure I'll get used to it.

Welp, time to throw my two cents into this.

Ryouma: Bout what I was expecting voice-wise.

Sakura: Voice wise, a little bit deeper than what I was expecting, but the VA's tone matched the emotional tone of the scene so, good job there.

Elise: Ok, I am fine with her having a bratty voice, what I am not fine with was the spoken line. The whole "He is MY brother." sort of ruins the emotional scene for me. I could see the line being better if she says it with more apprehension like "He is my brother, right?" but as it is, no.

Xander: A bit more tenor than I was expecting, especially after how low his Japanese voice was, but otherwise, no problem. The forceful way the VA delivered the line "WE are your family!" for me at least helped to drive home the point that Kamui has likely only known his Hoshidoan siblings for just a few days as opposed to his Nohrian ones, as if Xander is trying to remind Kamui that blood=/= family.

I do hope that they are better in the actual game though,

I'm thinking this was hastily recorded for the direct but I'm most disappointed in Marx's voice. He sounds like a scumbag the way he said that.

He's the "calm, sensible, chivalrous" eldest brother; it makes some sense. The glaring factor is, of course, the botched deliveries.

I thought the voices were fine~ Sakura sounded a bit older to me that I would have thought, but it's not bad~ I really enjoyed Female Corrin's, as she doesn't sound super old (not that it matters since there are many to choose in-game, but Male Corrin just sounds a bit old to me).

Elise's was okay~ She sounds like a little sister~ And I think Xander and Ryoma were good, too~

Azura's song also sounded nice~

He's the "calm, sensible, chivalrous" eldest brother; it makes some sense. The glaring factor is, of course, the botched deliveries.

I somehow felt that the way he delivered it sounded...manipulative? There's nothing manipulative about the line, it's just the way he said it. I should throw it out there though, that I liked his voice, despite sounding very high compared to his Japanese voice.

The way Marx said his lines made him sound like a bully from some 90's high school tv show.

"What are you knuckleheads doing here? This is OUR turf!"

"Oh gosh, it's Xander and the jocks! I hope they don't shove me into a locker again."

I've seen people suggesting that Xander's and Elise's lines ("he's MY brother!" and "we're your family") were possibly added specifically for this trailer to give viewers an idea what's going on in the scene (since the game isn't out here yet and not everyone knows what the premise is). But if those lines are in the game, their deliveries have got to be better than here. :/

I listened to the trailer a couple of times and the Hoshidans are actually pretty good. I like Matt Mercer and he's fine here and Sakura's voice is very lovely (it's so refreshing to hear newcomers! I liked that about Awakening's English cast too). The Nohrian siblings are quite disappointing, I can't even tell if they are the same actors we heard in the E3 trailer (so I'm just going to be in denial for now). Oh well, it's just a Smash trailer...

The way Marx said his lines made him sound like a bully from some 90's high school tv show.

"What are you knuckleheads doing here? This is OUR turf!"

"Oh gosh, it's Xander and the jocks! I hope they don't shove me into a locker again."

Oh no. OH NO. Now I'm imagining the Nohrian siblings as bullies except Elise is the token sweet one who has more depth then she lets on!