Random stats gain on leveling up

vazful

Hello.

Lately i have been interested in this series but after some research i learned that you gain random stats every time you lvl up. This is totally game breaking for me. So my question is this: Is there any FE game that doesnt have this system? (random stat gain on lvl up).

thank you in advance.

what's the problem with it

FE9 has a mode with stats fixed to the averages after you completed it the first time and there's a patch for FE7 (or all the GBA games? don't recall) somewhere that keeps the stats at average when leveling up, it's called tony mode.

Edited by Gradivus.

what's the problem with it

FE9 has a mode with stats fixed to the averages after you completed it the first time and there's a patch for FE7 (or all the GBA games? don't recall) somewhere that keeps the stats at average when leveling up, it's called tony mode.

Many thanks for your reply!

If anyone else has something else to add, PLEASE do so!

It exists for all GBA games but I'm not sure where to find it.

Shadow Dragon and I think FE12 have a system that compensates for whiffed level-ups. For example, if you have a 80% growth in HP and you whiff, for your next level you have a 88% growth. This keeps going until you get your HP, then it resets to the default.

Somebody remembers Tony Mode! 8]

The RNG system is part of the fun, in FE. I like variables and having my characters go through different stages. For example, I used to have a really mediocre Lyndis in FE7's Eliwood Normal Mode. Turns out, that all changed, right after she promoted. Started getting beast stats across the board.

I use to savestate abuse every single level-up I wasn't pleased with, but this was back when I played on emulator and just started playing.

you can also play 0% growths and not worry about the random level ups

That tends to make the game MUCH harder than intended.

Many thanks for your reply!

If anyone else has something else to add, PLEASE do so!

FE3 and FE5 also have items that boost growth rates by quite a lot, which allows you to fix any bad stats.

Another question. Again related to this subject.

Which FE has the fairest stats grwoth system? For example. A slow heavy armored warrior gaining magic very very rarely since its totally useless to him.

Or in general which is the FE game that rewards stats with more balance. What i mean by this is that it always rewards on leveling up (not "empty" lvls).

I guess those 2 aspects combined would make the FE i ask.

Edited by vazful

- All FEs tend to give the classes growths in adequate stats.

- You don't need to shy away from the system because it seems to be bad/luck-based. I recommend making your view towards it based on experience after playing several FE games.

- The highest growths can be found in FE10 and FE12 (I think? The latter definitely, looked at a bunch of the former but am not quite sure). FE13 too, though I don't know how easily it can be emulated. In general, though, all FE games have growth rates that fit the enemy stats (FE5 is an exception to this, since you typically way exceed the enemy statwise, but it's not a game ruled by stats, and more by use of the right items and weapons).

Edited by Gradivus.

why would anyone prefer hard over easy

easy is more fun all the way

Too easy is boring (see : Awakening Normal/Casual.)

That's also the whole premise of One Punch Man, btw.

Of course too hard may be too frustrating and makes you leave the game forever, but challenge (or at least, the illusion of challenge) make a game more fun.

Balancing a game between too difficult and too easy is a pretty hard feet, so that may be why games have different dfficulty settings nowaday.

We all have a different tolerance to frustration , and at the right level for us, it will motivate us (because overcomming difficulty is a pretty great feeling), but too high, it will depressed us. (Kinda works irl too, actually.)

Some random, uncoherent ramblings, but I guess that's the idea.

Too easy is boring (see : Awakening Normal/Casual.)

That's also the whole premise of One Punch Man, btw.

Of course too hard may be too frustrating and makes you leave the game forever, but challenge (or at least, the illusion of challenge) make a game more fun.

Balancing a game between too difficult and too easy is a pretty hard feet, so that may be why games have different dfficulty settings nowaday.

We all have a different tolerance to frustration , and at the right level for us, it will motivate us (because overcomming difficulty is a pretty great feeling), but too high, it will depressed us. (Kinda works irl too, actually.)

Some random, uncoherent ramblings, but I guess that's the idea.

I meant as a whole. I'm talking about stuff like Mother 3 and Kirby and Animal Crossing that aren't very hard. Mother 3 had difficult bosses but was otherwise pretty easy. Xenoblade only takes quests to be at a good level. Suikoden isn't that hard either so as to let you use anyone.

Especially Kirby. I don't play Kirby games to be challenged.

For challenge, I do feel that Fire Emblem games are fun with some challenge. However, I think that even no-grind Hard!Classic is too hard, and I've beaten RD multiple times on English Normal/Japanese Hard. It wasn't that difficult comparatively. Hard gets really unbalanced in Valm and that's always when I ditch everyone for super demon units like Lucina.

As for challenge, I like to stay rather Medium. My safe zone for Kid Icarus Uprising is probably like 6.0. I tried 9.0 on the first level and died to Twinbellows twice.

Which FE has the fairest stats grwoth system? For example. A slow heavy armored warrior gaining magic very very rarely since its totally useless to him.

Or in general which is the FE game that rewards stats with more balance. What i mean by this is that it always rewards on leveling up (not "empty" lvls).

Level ups in Fire Emblem are not quite that random. For each unit, each individual stat has it's own chance of increasing at level up or not, each stat is not weighted equally. For example, in Path of Radiance, Gatrie (a heavily armored character focusing on dealing and tanking lots of damage) has a 80% chance to gain a point of HP on a level up, a 55% chance to gain a point of Strength, and a 60% chance to get a point of Defence - these are all calculated individually, so he can get all or none or anything in between on any given level-up. Meanwhile, he only has a 5% chance to get a point of Magic and a 30% chance to get a point of Resistance (aka magic defense).

It's the same for most characters in each game, they have a higher chance of getting points in the stats they specialize in while having lower chances to get points in the stats they don't need or use. I'd say that all of the games are about equally fair in this regard, although Radiant Dawn has quite a few units who have growth spreads that make no sense (Meg and Vika are probably the best examples of this).

In the three games for the GBA (Binding Blade, Sacred Stones and Blazing Sword/"Fire Emblem"), if a unit would gain no stats at all on a level up, the game re-rolls the level up (up to three times total) to help prevent you from getting screwed. Path of Radiance has Fixed Mode, which takes the randomness out of leveling up, but can only be played after the game has been beaten once. Radiant Dawn flat out prevents you from getting a level up with no stats; it will re-roll until you get something. In addition, levels gained through Bonus EXP in Radiant Dawn will always reward three stats, no more and no less, weighted towards stats with a higher chance of increasing naturally (really useful once a character has capped a couple of those higher stats). In Shadow Dragon, Awakening (and soon Fates), you can reclass characters to give them better chances to gain certain stats - being a Knight will give a character a higher chance to get Strength or Defense on a level up than being a Mage, for example.

Also, characters in more recent titles like Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, Awakening and Fates generally have better growth rates than characters in earlier titles, although enemies in later titles tend to have higher stats on average than enemies in earlier titles as well.

Edited by Radiant Dragon

• 2 weeks later...

FE10 might be of interest to you then.

FE10 is coded to always give at least one stat on every level. It also has a bonus EXP system where you can give the bonus EXP (which you earn by doing objectives in the chapter) to your units and for every level of BEXP they get, they will get 3 stats per level. The three stats are usually their highest growth stats.

FE10's capped stats are also much more friendly in this regard. A FE10 Warrior has a magic cap of 8, and so even if they, bizarrely, gain lots of magic, they won't gain a lot. Compare this to FE12 where the warrior magic cap is 20 and in FE13 where it is 30. It's overall designed to not screw you over as much if the RNG decides to be a jerk.

Compare this to FE12 where the warrior magic cap is 20 and in FE13 where it is 30.

Eh, no warrior* will ever get magic way above 0 in FE12, and in FE13, there's the bolt axe to give decent magic on axemen more of a use than in other games, but warriors still have trouble even reaching 10 magic, so the difference between a magic cap of 8 or one of 20/30 pretty much doesn't matter. Caps matter more for the stats the units will actually gain in high amounts, in which they're generally adequate in FE12 and vary between not mattering (because they're so high that there's a decent possibility for units not to reach them) and being pretty much on the right level depending on the situation in FE13.

*with some totally unworthwhile exceptions