Big Soul Stream of Consciousness Thread

Parrhesia

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you serious

People talk about them a lot but I don't actually know what they are lol

I thought they were an online thing but this seems to imply they're physical?

People talk about them a lot but I don't actually know what they are lol

I thought they were an online thing but this seems to imply they're physical?

Yeah, they're, like, collectible figurines of Nintendo characters distributed by Nintendo themselves. They have these things you can scan that unlock extra content in their games.

Edited by Esme

Yeah, they're, like, collectible figurines of Nintendo characters (usually) distributed by Nintendo themselves. They have these things you can scan that unlock extra content in their games.

oh that's actually pretty cool, I was wondering what set them apart

would explain why I'd picked up a digital connotation from them too

oh that's actually pretty cool, I was wondering what set them apart

would explain why I'd picked up a digital connotation from them too

Yeah, I think they're going to be releasing little cards that have that scan function along with the figurines themselves just so people can access content without, y'know, having to purchase a figurine.

I don't remember if they're going through with that, though.

it's nintendo's cashgrab/cashcow

i don't have a high opinion of them as you can probably tell

(this guy ain't wrong, either)

oh ok they're miniatures, that makes sense

Thats an adorable way to put it. And no, Im not "putting you down". If anything, I was like "hey youre pretty awright among this rabble of nonsensical whinin".

it's nintendo's cashgrab/cashcow

i don't have a high opinion of them as you can probably tell

I see them as collectibles more than Nintendos way of stealing you money. Like, I got the Shovel Knight & Yoshi Amiibos the other. Theyre adorable, I really like those. Its all there is to it. I dont even have a WiiU.

I see them as collectibles more than Nintendos way of stealing you money.

I see them that way, too, except they have an added bonus of unlocking content in games! Woah! Cool! Radical!

It's pretty clever on their part, I think. To be honest, I don't think I've liked any of the figurines enough to want to buy them. Except for maybe Game and Watch, but I've never actually played his games so I'd feel wrong. Besides, I'm pretty sure his figure is part of a bundle so, eh. Not gonna bother.

I will never understand people who think that way (that the creators of a product are making more stuff "to steal more money"). They make content, fans love it. Wheres the wrong in that (assuming it isnt compromising the integrity of it like Fates & Awakening)?

I will never understand people who think that way (that the creators of a product are making more stuff "to steal more money"). They make content, fans love it. Wheres the wrong in that (assuming it isnt compromising the integrity of it like Fates & Awakening)?

I won't even get into the whole thing about publishers cutting parts of the game out to make DLC, as in not "making more stuff". I don't have a problem with collectibles at all, but the way that they actually shove them in your face as if they're more interested in them then making games (because it makes them the moolah, no it is fine for a company to want to make money but it's the way they do it - trying to convince you it's not DLC practices when it pretty much blatantly is. It's clever business, I admit.) actually does compromise the integrity of Nintendo.

Not in other people's eyes though, apparently. People will rave about DLC but most give Nintendo a free pass when it comes to this.

Casual link (obviously not everything is relevant, 4:20ish to start)

Edited by Tryhard

I won't even get into the whole thing about publishers cutting parts of the game out to make DLC, as in not "making more stuff". I don't have a problem with collectibles at all, but the way that they actually shove them in your face as if they're more interested in them then making games (because it makes them the moolah, no it is fine for a company to want to make money but it's the way they do it - trying to convince you it's not DLC practices when it pretty much blatantly is. It's clever business, I admit.) actually does compromise the integrity of Nintendo.

Not in other people's eyes though, apparently. People will rave about DLC but most give Nintendo a free pass when it comes to this.

Casual link (obviously not everything is relevant, 4:20ish to start)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_406c3CRxus

Which Nintendo games would you say do DLC badly? I've found that almost all of them except fire emblem lol do DLC gracefully

You have:

Mario Kart 8 with that snazzy 16 courses, 6 characters, 8 karts, 2 wheels, and two gliders for less than a third of the price of the base game

Hyrule Warriors with characters and the Adventure Maps

Xenoblade X which gave the DLC for free in the West

Smash Bros with a ton of content although it is kinda overpriced.

I'm referring specifically to Amiibos.

Nintendo doesn't really do the whole cutting out parts of the game for DLC but I don't really think not fucking people over makes up for what I consider bad DLC, amiibos.