Yoshi's Woolly World and other Yoshi games

Anacybele

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I played a bit of Yoshi's Cookie, a classic puzzle game for the NES/SNES/GB. The SNES version is the superior one and the one I had as a kid. Good game, fun, and has three types of difficulties and three music tracks to listen to. There's also a VS Mode and a Challenge Mode which is kind of hard. The gameplay in it is kind of unique. The object of the game is to match rows of cookies to clear the screen. A Yoshi cookie is a wild card essentially as it can match any other type of cookie. Clear the screen to win. If the screen fills up, you lose. There are 9 levels, each has 4 or 5 stages. beat them all to clear the game completely. Like Dr. Mario or Tetris, you can choose the level you want to play. It gets faster as you go on. If you like puzzle games, I recommend this.

...Huh. I probably should play them again some time, I really don't remember any difference between the three aside from DS having new levels and yoshi's jump sfx being changed.

the DS one is literally a different game

the GBA port isn't usually considered bad

the 5 games between those are yoshi story, yoshi topsy turvy, yoshi touch and go, yoshi's island ds, and yoshi's new island

out of those i've played yoshi story and yoshi's island ds

yoshi story is... bad

there are lots of problems such as how ridiculously easy it is, and how you beat levels by getting fruit, but it's generally not very good

yoshi's island ds just has really bad level design in a lot of places

there's also a lot of really not fun gimmicks used

i haven't played it in a long time but i got bored with it pretty easily

The best of the Yoshi series of games is Yoshi's Island on the SNES, though I do like Yoshi's new SFX that were introduced in Yoshi's Story. Yoshi's Story honestly isn't a bad game. It has great graphics, good sound, good game play. It IS easy if you're just going to collect fruit and finish the game that way. Also note the game was created basically for little kids. However, Yoshi games are item collecting games. What you really should be doing to make Yoshi's Story more challenging for you is to collect all of the Hearts, get only the favorite fruits, and open up the hidden worlds on each page. You have to actually go through the whole game before you can see the new world on the page the next tome you go through (because it's a story book). That's how you really play Yoshi's Story. Also one of the coolest and funniest things about Yoshi's Story? When the Yoshis sing, it sounds like they're saying "Big Asshole" lol.

the DS one is literally a different game

I'm well aware, I meant in terms of gameplay and mechanics and the like. Aside from adding swappable babies and having a new set of levels, I don't remember much of a difference.

I enjoyed Woolly World a lot, generally I don't like Yoshi games but for some reason this one clicked so well. Lately a lot of games I've been looking forward to have been coming out in PAL far later than when others have got the game and it's a little bit infuriating but out of the games that did come out over here earlier than it did elsewhere, I'm really glad that it was Woolly World.

Each level felt like it introduced something new or at least took an earlier mechanic and built upon it/altered it to stay interesting. Such a good game.

DS wasn't great and what I played of the original and the port wasn't very fun so to find that Woolly World is one of the only few games on the Wii U that made its purchase worth it was a surprise.