Serenes Massacre (FE9/10)

VincentASM

Article

Summary

This event occurred in the year 625 of the Begnion calendar, twenty years before the beginning of Path of Radiance. It resulted in the heron tribe being practically wiped out and the Serenes Forest ruined.

The chain of events leading to the Serenes Massacre started with the assassination of Apostle Misaha, the ruler of Begnion. Rumours emerged that the ones who plotted her death were the herons of Serenes. Nights later, the enraged citizens of Begnion gathered at Serenes Forest and ravaged the forest and its inhabitants. After just three nights, the Kingdom of Serenes was no more. The only known survivors of the genocide were King Loraziah, who fell into a deep coma, and his son, Reyson.

Afterwards, the Hawk tribe declared an oath of vengeance and started attacking Begnion ships. The citizens of Begnion came to deeply regret their actions. Most people knew that the heron tribe lived a life of peace and weren't capable of exhibiting violence. However, after losing their beloved ruler, the citizens were blinded by grief and rage, which they took out on the herons.

In Path of Radiance

Twenty years after the massacre, the Greil's mercenaries, working for Begnion's Empress Sanaki, attempt to expose Laguz slavery within Begnion's upper echelon. At the Dukedom of Tanas, they manage to free Reyson, who was sold out by his close friend. It is then that they first discover the existence of the Serenes Massacre.

Soon afterwards, the Greil's mercenaries enter the dark and lifeless Serenes Forest to chase after Duke Tanas. Halfway through the forest, they discover Leanne, a previously unknown survivor and Reyson's younger sister. After Duke Tanas is defeated, Reyson and Leanne reunite. Leanne explains that her sisters put her to sleep with their galldr and that she had slept for 20 years.

Once the fighting has calmed down, Sanaki appears to meet the heron siblings. She acts as a representative of the citizens of Begnion and apologises for their past actions. Leanne accepts the apology. Reyson refuses at first, but, after Leanne states that she doesn't want him to be lost to hatred, he accepts the apology as well. Finally, Reyson and Leanne perform a ceremony in front of the forest altar. They sing the galldr of rebirth together and restore life to the forest.

Later on in the campaign, it is discovered that another heron survived the massacre- Reyson and Leanne's elder sister, Lillia. However she, along with Lehran's Medallion, was taken by Daein's King Ashnard on the night of the Serenes Massacre and, afterwards, she died in captivity. From this, it seems that Ashnard was the one who plotted the Serenes Massacre.

In Radiant Dawn

The Serenes Massacre was the main reason the Laguz declared war on the Begnion Empire. During the liberation of Daein, Micaiah meets with Rafiel- the eldest of the Serenes royal children. He explains that he was abducted by hunters before the massacre, and thus survived. After Daein is retored, Rafiel leaves for Gallia, to reunite with his siblings. There, he explains the truth behind the Serenes Massacre- that it was caused by the Begnion senate.

Whilst loved by her citizens, Apostle Misaha was seen as an obstruction by the imperial senate. Her declaration of the Laguz Emancipation Act opposed their ideals of beorc being superior to laguz. Her fate was finally sealed when she planned to reveal her identity as a Branded- the greatest secret of the imperial family. Because the revelation would cause disaster for their teachings, the senate, headed by Lekain, decided it was necessary to remove her.

For a long time, the herons of Serenes had denied the Apostle's position as the voice of the Goddess. This was a result of the First Continental War, which ended more than 100 years ago, when Begnion used the Goddess's name to invade Tellius. The senate decided to kill two birds with one stone, by using the herons as a scapegoat for Misaha's assassination, therefore removing two of their major obstacles.

Lehran, ally of the Three Heroes, was also involved in the massacre. After disappearing from history, he reappeared many hundreds of years later to speak to Apostle Misaha and find a way to resolve the troubles between beorc and laguz. It was this meeting that prompted Misaha's radical actions before her death. After Misaha was assassinated, Lehran witnessed the Serenes Massacre, helpless to prevent it. It was then that he made the decision to plot humanity's end.

After the war, Sanaki returns ownership of Serenes Forest to the heron tribe. Following this, the three bird tribes decide to live together there and a new Kingdom of Serenes is established, ruled by Tibarn. At the forest, Rafiel, Reyson and Leanne perform a ceremony together and successfully awaken their father, King Loraziah. Loraziah also convinces Lehran to live together with the other herons. With this, the Serenes Massacre is finally resolved.

Author's comments

I suddenly felt the urge to write this for some reason. I'll admit it was a little rushed, but I think it's ready for preliminary viewing at least.

Edited by VincentASM

I think that some of what I put forth is a bit... picky.... You should probably disregard anything I say that you find insignificant or disagreeable. If you find anything really strange, you're probably safe assuming it was a mistake (like that one example regarding your article about Sara).

I think the first sentence would sound better if it were changed to: "This event occurred in the year 625 of the Begnion calendar, twenty years before the beginning of Path of Radiance." I don't know if what you said is grammatically incorrect or not, but it feels wrong to have the date at the end (maybe that's just me so I think someone else should comment on this).

I think, "The chain of events started with the assassination of Apostle Misaha," would benefit from being changed to, "The chain of events leading up to the Serenes Massacre started with the assassination of Apostle Misaha," because a 'chain of events' had yetto be introduced, only one main event.

"Meanwhile, the citizens of Begnion deeply regretted their actions." 'Meanwhile' implies something taking place between two events. Something along the lines of, "The citizens of Begnion came to deeply regret their actions," might fit better (I think, I''m not 100% sure of this, someone else should probably comment on this as well). Also, "which they took it out on the herons," should drop the 'it'. I would change, "Twenty years after the incident," to "Twenty years after the massacre," because it's more specific, but that's more of a stylistic thing so you can do whatever you prefer with it.

This may or may not be another stylistic thing, but I think 'another' in, "they discover Leanne, another surviving heron and Reyson's younger sister," should be changed to reflect the fact that she had not been known to be a survivor (maybe something along the lines of, 'a previously unknown', but less stilted, would fit better). That would ensure agreement with the previously established fact that Reyson and King Loraziah had been the only two remaining survivors.

"Thus the senate, headed by Lekain, decided it was necessary to remove her, as it would cause disaster for their teachings," can be misinterpreted to suggest that they decide to remove her because it would cause a disaster for their teachings. You could move the fact that it would cause a disaster nearer to the beginning of the sentence: "Because this would cause a disaster for their teachings, the senate, headed by Lekain, decided it was necessary to remove her." Alternatively, you could clarify the motive: "Thus the senate, headed by Lekain, decided it was necessary to remove her because such a revelation would cause disaster for their teachings."

You might want to consider mentioning the second reason for the senate's conspiracy against Misaha, the herons denying the Apostle's position, earlier (unless you don't think it's very important, then you can leave it as it is). There were a couple of spelling errors that can be quickly located with Ctrl+F. Occured should be occurred, calender should be calendar, representive should be representative, and retored should be restored. I think Imperial Senate should be capitalized, but I don't know if senate should be as well. You also like commas more than I do, haha.

As a personal curiosity, I also noticed that you used the word 'whilst'. Do you know if 'whilst' and 'while' perfect synonyms, or is there some sort of small difference between the two? I don't know if I use the word entirely correctly or not; I've e-mailed past English teachers with this question, but none have ever responded.

I found nothing wrong with the information you presented, most if not everything you need is already in the text. You just might want to rearrange a few sentences and facts to make it more clear.

Edit (2008.10.05):

Fixed a spelling error.

Edited by Wist

Nah, I don't think it's too picky. I'm a minor perfectionist at heart : P

Anyway, I agree with all the issues raised. I'll get round to fixing them soon. Also, I'm surprised I made so many typo's, but I was kind of rushing it.

As a personal curiosity, I also noticed that you used the word 'whilst'. Do you know if 'whilst' and 'while' perfect synonyms, or is there some sort of small difference between the two? I don't know if I use the word entirely correctly or not; I've e-mailed past English teachers with this question, but none have ever responded.

I actually don't know for sure, myself. I assumed it's possibly the past form of "while". Otherwise, I just use it if it sounds better ^^;;;

EDIT

Fixed some, still a couple more to go (and I need to check out what I've fixed as well).

Edited by VincentASM

The only thing I can think of that is related is this:

Later on in the campaign, it is discovered that another heron survived the massacre- Reyson and Leanne's elder sister, Lillia. However she, along with Lehran's Medallion, was taken by Daein's King Ashnard on the night of the Serenes Massacre and, afterwards, she died in captivity. From this, it seems that Ashnard was the one who plotted the Serenes Massacre.

If anyone knows something, please tell me. It's been a while since I last played FE9 ^^;;;

Edited by VincentASM

• 2 months later...

In the later parts of FE9, they reach the conclusion that Ashnard was behind the scenes because they link the kidnapping of Lillia to the Serenes Massacre. They all thought it was a part of his effort to awaken the "Dark God", and that Ashnard was the mastermind behind everything that has happened till now.

Edited by Nightmare