Advice for a n00b

Alistair

Also, try to do much support conversations and pair up your units, then they are more likely to cover eachother, Attack more times, and hey, isn't it fun to see 2 units married?

Grind DLC

Only after you've cleared the maingame, or if you somehow get massively stuck. The DLC is fun to do and adds a lot of replay value to the game, but if you use it too much early on, then the main chapters can't put up a fight and will become very boring.

My advice is to not worry about any sort of optimization and just mess around, doing whatever seems fun. Get a waifu, pair who you like, maybe break open the Bonus Box to get some cool loot.

Don't know if this is too late to respond but always look at the enemy attack line, try to get as many support and pair them up, don't take humongus risk like hoping your healer can survive a hit.(unless your playing casual or just don't care about your character dead) That's what I can think in top of my head, if you tell me situation during your story I can help more. Sorry if I don't help as much as I thought

Just focus on Chrom and the Avatar and stick to them together and use them throughout the main game if you're only concerned with beating the game regardless of your Robin's gender the pair makes short work of the main game.

Ah, Chapter 7.

Chrom + someone who's competent behind him + Falchion = a lot of dead wyverns. Virion can do some respectable damage, along with whoever has Elwind. I hope you plan on using at least one of Sumia/Cordelia, because the next chapter is their playground.

Go ahead and level the characters you like. Feel free to beat up a skirmish or three - they should be a bit of a challenge, at most. Pair whoever you think amuses you, because this isn't Hardcore Numbers Mode. Just keep people paired up, and as long as they support each other (you'll see hearts after they attack), you should be fine~!

some advice is to look at all the enemies in each chapter and make decisions accordingly, for example chapter 7 has no mage units so feel free to deploy characters who can take physical attacks but will die with one or two magic hits like kellam or stahl or vaike also you should examine the skills and weapon types of the enemies you're facing, especially some of the bosses, if you have a chapter that has many sword users for example then you should deploy characters who can use lances to take less and deal more damage.

I would avoid any grind/gold dlc until after you finish the main story and start tackling the other dlc and bonus maps, as it can make the game too easy even after just a couple of visits, the skirmishes should be more than enough if you're not powering through, even then I wouldn't use it because it detracts from the fun for me lol.

use the characters you like to use but still try to have a varied team, don't focus on having a lot of characters that are magic based like miriel, ricken or the avatar and such, a mistake I did is focus on mage characters more than I needed to on my first playthrough like henry, tharja and miriel.

marry whomever with whomever you want if you're just wanting to have fun and not worry about optimization etc. you can start worrying about that on a second or third playthrough, but if you're concerned about your optimization and pair ups then you should look up growth rates, max stats, pair up suggestions and skill inheritance for each character, this will help you understand the systems better to prepare you for fates too, I'm sure you know all this since you mentioned its not your first playthrough lol.

Edited by Crazy Retro Cool

Only after you've cleared the maingame, or if you somehow get massively stuck. The DLC is fun to do and adds a lot of replay value to the game, but if you use it too much early on, then the main chapters can't put up a fight and will become very boring.

Ya know, the more I play the game, the more I feel the dlc really isn't all that broken. I'm doing a run where I play EXPonential Growth once before every chapter, and the game still puts up a fight. Granted, I can't say the same for people who play it 20 times before each chapter, but it's just an example of it done right.

Fight the risen when they pop up on the map. You can use the reeking boxes too if you want those summon risen to the map depending on where you're standing. Also do support conversations and get your characters married, that will open up more levels to play and strengthen your characters more. If you have extra money on your account than you can buy some DLCs those can help a load. If you don't have DLCs or run out of gold to fight risen then you can summon characters in wireless and fight them.

Edited by SSbardock84

some advice is to look at all the enemies in each chapter and make decisions accordingly, for example chapter 7 has no mage units so feel free to deploy characters who can take physical attacks but will die with one or two magic hits like kellam or stahl or vaike also you should examine the skills and weapon types of the enemies you're facing, especially some of the bosses, if you have a chapter that has many sword users for example then you should deploy characters who can use lances to take less and deal more damage.

Deploying different units each map means that some units you use later will sit out during earlier battles, and it's very rare that any performance gain you get from being "more suited to the situation"- eg WTA- will outweigh the advantage from having a bunch of levels of exp. It's a good idea to have a team that doesn't all get mopped up by one thing, but rotating which units you use isn't a very good idea.

Ya know, the more I play the game, the more I feel the dlc really isn't all that broken. I'm doing a run where I play EXPonential Growth once before every chapter, and the game still puts up a fight. Granted, I can't say the same for people who play it 20 times before each chapter, but it's just an example of it done right.

The problem with putting DLC on the table is that since all the maps are replayable and doable in any order, it's extremely hard to define certain quantities of grinding with it. All you can really do is either not use it at all, or use it to your own tastes.

And most of the maps aren't even meant for grinding- you'd do them for other reasons besides the exp/rewards, but you'd get those anyway.

I'm not saying there's a right or wrong way to do it. Just once DLC is on the table, be careful.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

• 2 weeks later...

its your first hard run. I would say to get the most enjoyment out of it possible. Don't grind, don't use dlc, just go through the game. It's a lot more fun that way imo. Since its your 1st hard run it will be that much sweeter to.