Rumour: New Paper Mario Game for the Wii U?

carefreejules

Sticker Star's problems were Miyamoto's fault not IS's.

The game was going to have partners.

And apparently, they did a survey and it said most fans don't care about story in Paper Mario.

I really want partners back, and that Toads aren't the sole NPCs.

The charm of Paper Mario was the colorful world and characters.

Then again I shouldn't be so negative.

That source has at least a fine record, but I'll remain skeptical since Paper Jam came out here yesterday. I wouldn't expect this so soon.

I hope the game is more like the original Paper Mario and Sticker Star than TTYD/SPM. I loved Sticker Star and PM64 but disliked TTYD and SPM. Give me a SS aesthetic, Bowser as a villain, PM64-esque partners, and SS's amazing writing.

Please no random melodrama like SPM. That was awful.

That source has at least a fine record, but I'll remain skeptical since Paper Jam came out here yesterday. I wouldn't expect this so soon.

I hope the game is more like the original Paper Mario and Sticker Star than TTYD/SPM. I loved Sticker Star and PM64 but disliked TTYD and SPM. Give me a SS aesthetic, Bowser as a villain, PM64-esque partners, and SS's amazing writing.

what's the big difference between the original paper mario and ttyd? they're almost the same game in a lot of ways except ttyd removes some gimmicky things and makes the attack commands more unique.

Paper Luigi: The Marvelous Compass

You know you want it, deep down inside. We all do.

as much as I would and have always wanted this game to happen one day, I've also always known that it never will

anyway

i really love the first three paper mario games and while I do not own sticker star and was thoroughly unimpressed by what i've played and seen of it, i think a new paper mario would be cool

considering sticker star was the first and only paper mario on a handheld (i never really got why they decided to do that since i always thought that the whole point of mario and luigi was to essentially be the handheld counterpart) i think this game will probably be more like the first 3 games which were all console games

at the very least i want the merl____ people to be in the game

even if this isn't true (and i'm personally not getting my hopes up) there'll probably be a wii u paper mario eventually, since the last three nintendo home consoles have had one

Most fans don't care about the story? I wonder why people hated Sticker Star then, I thought it got rid of what made Paper Mario games good. Like the story, partners, etc. I passed up buying it because of this and because it wasn't going to be more of a platformer like SPM. I care about the story, btw... The story was one of the best things about SPM, imo.

I'd like that back though, please. And after giving TTYD another chance (I turned it away because I thought it would be as annoying as SMRPG was. Boy was I wrong. This game is a lot better), I don't care if the gameplay is turn-based like TTYD or platforming like SPM, even though I'd still prefer the latter. SPM remains my favorite Paper Mario game and one of my favorite Mario games of all time. In fact, my top three Mario titles would be the SMG games and SPM if you don't count Yoshi's Island on the SNES (since it was titled Super Mario World 2).

But I hope this Wii U game is good if it really is in the works! And that Miyamoto keeps his grubby hands off it. Let IS be IS, man!

Edited by Anacybele

lol TTYD was absolutely awful.

Terrible settings. Rogueport was bleh and and the other areas were different for the sake of being different.

Overly dramatic story. I only enjoy Bowser and Wario as antagonists. Shadow Queen and the X-Nauts were boring, and the story was basically a precursor to SPM's hideous train wreck story.

Bad partners. The original PM had 8 Mario enemies given new life and were interesting to see. Here we have two weird OCs, another Goomba and Koopa (which is fine I guess), a Yoshi which isn't an enemy, another Bob-omb, and a Little Mouser. Ms. Mowz is what I'd like to see. How about scrapping Flurrie and Vivian for actual Mario characters?

The backtracking was inane. People bring up the Twilight Trail, but the Boggly Woods is small. Chapter 7 is ridiculous with General White. Glitz Pit was basically a tiny sandbox. There was Chapter 5's forest. I did enjoy the Excess Express though.

And then you have things like Francesca forcing Frankie to say I love you 100 times which isn't funny whatsoever.

SPM is an even bigger mess that I won't even start on.

My favorite PM is probably Sticker Star. I enjoyed the settings, I liked Decalberg, it had some fun worlds like World 3 or World 4. I actually loved the gameplay with stickers, and the writing was so good. People say the story's bad, but I enjoy helping Wiggler more than helping random fire ghost.

A ton of people would hate it, but I'd rather have Sticker Star 2 or whatever than anything else.

You're free to think what you want to, but neither TTYD nor SPM are terrible at all. TTYD is beautiful, I love all the partners and the story is excellent. I hated chapter 3, I'll give you that much. And I didn't like all the backtracking either. But that's it.

SPM is one of the most genius and beautiful games I ever played. Switching between 2D and 3D? IS, that's the coolest gameplay thing you ever came up with, seriously. Even better than anything in FE! It quite literally added a whole new dimension of exploring! And the story was one of the best I ever saw. I wish FE could have more quality stories like this. The love between Blumiere and Timpani, the mystery behind Tippi and why Count Bleck is trying to destroy all worlds, it was all totally awesome and made me come back for more. Maybe I'm just that much of a sucker for love stories, but still. And it had the classic platforming Mario gameplay I always loved. The first chapter's first area was a mirror of world 1-1 of SMB too, so it even had the nostalgia factor in there!

Oh yeah, SPM also has you collect something other than stars for a change. SMRPG, TTYD, the SMG games, it's stars stars and more stars. But in SPM, you collect something called Pure Hearts instead. It was refreshing to see that.

I'm allowed to think all this, so stop trying to force your opinion on me. I will not say these are terrible games.

Edited by Anacybele

i just want a paper mario game with a good story and characters.... i dont care what genre the game is.... i actually liked super paper mario despite the fact it was a platformer

sure it wasnt a rpg but it still kept the charm that the first 2 games had with its story.... unlike sticker star....

so if this rumor is true... thats all i care about...

Blumiere and Timpani's story wasn't beautiful, it was over the top. Imagine if in Romeo and Juliet that when Romeo thinks that Juliet is dead that he suddenly becomes a creepy psychopath who wants to end the world. I cared more about Nastastia and Tiptron than either of them, but the game doesn't care about either.

Dimentio is a total loser who thinks that he's interesting with all of his similes and non sequiturs. He's basically the same as Fawful, and both are lol random until they decide they want to be serious. To this day I have zero idea what was being smoked when SPM's final boss was designed. I did like it's gameplay though. I liked the music, and I thought that Flipside was the best hub in the series. I like SPM well enough, but the soap opera story ruins the entire game.

You're free to think whatever. Never once did I point you out specifically, just stated how I felt. Not trying to change how you feel.

The first chapter's first area was a mirror of world 1-1 of SMB too, so it even had the nostalgia factor in there!

wasn't it the last area of it, not the first area? i just remember it ending with the stairs and if you try to use the koopa stairs trick you actually start losing points which i thought was really funny

i personally wasn't a big fan of the 3d switch mechanic because while it was pretty cool at times essentially having another version of the same world to switch into, there weren't too many uses for it that I remember actually taking advantage of the fact that it's 3d

it was still cool though

although admittedly i haven't touched super paper mario in a while because as much as i love it i have no idea where my copy of it is and my wii no longer plays disc games properly

still, i enjoyed all three paper mario games i played, and while sticker star's very existence feels near insulting to me, i'm sure they're capable of making a great game (and hell i don't even know if sticker star is actually bad i've barely played it but i don't want to play much more because i'm biased but also i want to play it more because i love the series)

Blumiere and Timpani's story wasn't beautiful, it was over the top. Imagine if in Romeo and Juliet that when Romeo thinks that Juliet is dead that he suddenly becomes a creepy psychopath who wants to end the world. I cared more about Nastastia and Tiptron than either of them, but the game doesn't care about either.

isn't tiptron just the robot tippi thing you get from francis at the end of the game? i'm pretty sure that literally just exists to replace tippi who is gone because plot. not sure what there really is to say about it.

Edited by maybe

Dimentio is a total loser who thinks that he's interesting with all of his similes and non sequiturs. He's basically the same as Fawful, and both are lol random until they decide they want to be serious. To this day I have zero idea what was being smoked when SPM's final boss was designed. I did like it's gameplay though. I liked the music, and I thought that Flipside was the best hub in the series. I like SPM well enough, but the soap opera story ruins the entire game.

You're free to think whatever. Never once did I point you out specifically, just stated how I felt. Not trying to change how you feel.

You sure sounded like you were trying to change how I feel and even make fun of me by going "lol, ___ is terrible."

The way you describe it, you do make it sound bad. But Blumiere wasn't becoming a psychopath, his depression and grief over losing the one person he loved and being disowned by his own family just because he loved her got to his head. It's actually a realistic thing for some people to give into these kinds of feelings and end up doing terrible things. In fact, I feel like an outcome like this would've made Romeo and Juliet better too.

Dimentio was okay, not my favorite character, but I didn't think he was bad.

Oh yeah, one more thing I liked about SPM: I can play as Luigi! Well, rather late in the game, but I also enjoyed Mr. L, so I can forgive that. :P

Maybe: No, I remember the very first area had the question mark blocks and pipes and stuff in the same positions as in SMB 1-1.

Edited by Anacybele

I hope Bowser isn't the main villain, because when he isn't the main villain in a Mario RPG, his dialogue is priceless.

I just want a colorful world like the first 3 games, especially TTYD, which has the best setting and partners, but I do love Paper Mario 64's partners as well.

Sticker Star's world felt sorta bland, compared to the original 3.

For partners, I hope for a Chain Chomp partner(There was supposed to be one in Sticker Star), a Toad partner and again a Boo partner.

I wonder if there will be a hub again, like Toad Town, Rogueport and Flipside.

And we can't forget the Merlon and his family!

I hope Bowser isn't the main villain, because when he isn't the main villain in a Mario RPG, his dialogue is priceless.

yes this

the bowser sections in ttyd were fucking gold

the part with the poster was just glorious

i just thought it was so funny how the main villain basically went down to being the comedy relief villain who tries to be the villain

i love ttyd

Couldn't disagree with you more on all these points. PM64 was good in its day but hasn't aged well. Pretty much everything about it was improved in TTYD. And SPM had probably the best story I've ever seen in a Mario game. And SS basically was Miyamoto performing a lobotomy on the series (especially on Bowser, who went from being a well-rounded and interesting character in TTYD and SPM to being "generic boring villain guy" who doesn't even speak in Sticker Star). Sticker Star just had the same plot as every identical Mario game since the NES days: Bowser kidnaps Peach, go rescue her. PM64 was the same way, but at least it had (for its time) solid gameplay to back it up.

I'm holding out hope for TTYD-style gameplay and a SPM-style story myself.

Most fans don't care about the story? I wonder why people hated Sticker Star then, I thought it got rid of what made Paper Mario games good.

That poll was conducted in a very poor fashion. IIRC it just sort of showed up on Club Nintendo with no announcement and then went away without giving enough time for people to find out about it and vote in it. So, naturally, the results said less about what Paper Mario fans think and more what the small number of people who just happened to check Club Nintendo in the few days or weeks that the poll was running thought.

yes this

the bowser sections in ttyd were fucking gold

the part with the poster was just glorious

i just thought it was so funny how the main villain basically went down to being the comedy relief villain who tries to be the villain

i love ttyd

I agree with the two of you 100%. Though I will grant that Bowser's dialogue as the main villain in PM64 was pretty good as well, he definitely flourishes far more when he's not the main antagonist of the game.

Edited by ClevelandSteve

Couldn't disagree with you more on all these points. PM64 was good in its day but hasn't aged well. Pretty much everything about it was improved in TTYD. And SPM had probably the best story I've ever seen in a Mario game. And SS basically was Miyamoto performing a lobotomy on the series (especially on Bowser, who went from being a well-rounded and interesting character in TTYD and SPM to being "generic boring villain guy" who doesn't even speak in Sticker Star). Sticker Star just had the same plot as every identical Mario game since the NES days: Bowser kidnaps Peach, go rescue her. PM64 was the same way, but at least it had (for its time) solid gameplay to back it up.

really? I personally think it's just fine today. part of the reason I feel ttyd is so good is because, like you said, it improved on pretty much every aspect of the first game. the thing is, while that sort of makes it... obsolete? it's still a pretty fun game. it is probably harder to play after playing ttyd since it improved basically everything the original did but I felt like it's still pretty solid. there are definitely some parts that aren't too great and that the sequel definitely improved but there's also some pretty unique and fun parts. the tubba blubba chapter might just be my favorite in the series.

also one thing I would like to mention is that while the basic plot of pm64 was just "bowser kidnaps peach" i still liked how all the chapters had cute little stories to go with them. those were nice. i don't know if sticker star has those but i'll honestly be okay with bowser being the villain if the individual chapters are still interesting.

Playing though PM64 right now has only enhanced my appreciation for TTYD. PM64 is a great game, don't get me wrong. But TTYD improves on every aspect of PM64 to make it easily the best game of the four. I've never enjoyed PM64's longass tutorial (seriously, why does it take me so long to get action commands...) and the way the battle system got fleshed out to include partners is awesome. I really like Rougeport's aesthetic and mythology behind the region and it was nice to have a change of pace. I honestly consider TTYD to be the best game on the Gamecube.

That said, I've never understood the hate for SPM. It honestly feels like a Paper Mario game to me at the core. I've got this funky world with even more intense lore behind it. Having multiple characters to switch from really enhanced the gameplay and I wish TTYD could've done something like this. Battling was kind of a dud but it also had the benefit of being much quicker. I feel like this game oozes creativity.

Sticker Star doesn't deserve to see the light of day. It's honestly the most disappointing video game I've ever got, even moreso than Xenoblade Chronicles X.

really? I personally think it's just fine today. part of the reason I feel ttyd is so good is because, like you said, it improved on pretty much every aspect of the first game. the thing is, while that sort of makes it... obsolete? it's still a pretty fun game. it is probably harder to play after playing ttyd since it improved basically everything the original did but I felt like it's still pretty solid. there are definitely some parts that aren't too great and that the sequel definitely improved but there's also some pretty unique and fun parts. the tubba blubba chapter might just be my favorite in the series.

also one thing I would like to mention is that while the basic plot of pm64 was just "bowser kidnaps peach" i still liked how all the chapters had cute little stories to go with them. those were nice. i don't know if sticker star has those but i'll honestly be okay with bowser being the villain if the individual chapters are still interesting.

I loved PM64 when it came out, but I personally haven't been able to go back and enjoy it since TTYD has existed. I've tried when it re-released for the Wii Virtual Console and again when it re-released for the Wii U Virtual Console. There's nothing wrong with enjoying it if you happen to like it, but it's just lost its luster for me. TTYD and SPM are the only two Paper Mario games that I still go back and play through in their entirety again to this day.

That poll was conducted in a very poor fashion. IIRC it just sort of showed up on Club Nintendo with no announcement and then went away without giving enough time for people to find out about it and vote in it. So, naturally, the results said less about what Paper Mario fans think and more what the small number of people who just happened to check Club Nintendo in the few days or weeks that the poll was running thought.

Oh, I see. Yeah, that would mess things up some. :/ Nintendo should learn how to properly do polls. Maybe next time they will since Sticker Star bombed.

It probably got bad reviews overall though, given how much everyone hates it.

nah, surprisingly enough, it got pretty decent reviews

they were lower than all the other paper mario games but there weren't many reviews that were outright negative

among fans of the series it's almost universally hated but it got good reviews and sold well so it's perfectly possible that they'll make another game in a similar vein

Edited by maybe

Sales aren't a great way to compare the games across multiple consoles considering that people need to have the console. A better comparison is attach rate, which is the percentage of console owners that have the game.

Sales also don't work great for niche games like Paper Mario games because sales figures aren't always posted. This is especially true for PM64 and TTYD, as the internet was still growing during their release and so such information was not readily available.

Like all documented sales for PM64 stop after the first few weeks (which I found out trying to calculate attach rate...).

All we know is that TTYD and SPM sold enough to land the Nintendo Selects/Player's Choice status (though the number of sales needed for this status isn't something I can find), while PM64 and Sticker Star did not.

Edited by Scrub Lord Doof