Rumour: New Paper Mario Game for the Wii U?

carefreejules

lol TTYD was absolutely awful.

[Ramble ramble]

TTYD is easily one of the best RPGs I've ever played. In fact, I'll be one of the first to say that EVERYTHING, including General White, makes it a better game, or at least a more interesting one. If you wish to discuss individual points with me, please bring them up individually since I don't want to respond to your entire post at once.

PM64 was good in its day but hasn't aged well. Pretty much everything about it was improved in TTYD.

Hasn't aged well, you say? That's weird, because I gave it an 8.5/10 after playing it in 2015 - http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=55109

I think it's a very nice RPG, and at $10... it's still a nice RPG. And with the huge amount of mediocre/average RPGs released in the last decade, it's a diamond in the rough.

While I can agree it's the worst in the series, Sticker Star doesn't deserve the shit it gets. It has flaws, sure, but it's not the Grade-F Shovelware most people equate it to.

Wow. I think the guy in that video is swearing WAY too much, but Sticker Star DOES sound awful. No leveling up or exp? Stickers are all gone once you use them? You're FORCED to use them even? And no partners either... Wow, just wow.

Edited by Anacybele

You didn't play Sticker Star? I would recommend you do so not only to support the series, but also because Sticker Star does have some moments of genuine Paper Mario magic (like the underground quiz show and the entire mansion chapter). With that said, don't pay more than $20 because it isn't worth more IMO. If you just want a simple, light RPG with some witty writing and a strong presentation, something to temporarily stave off your PM cravings, SS with get the job done. And keep a walkthrough nearby- it will vastly improve the experience.

Sorry, but imo, it doesn't sound like it's worth anything... So yeah, I'm still going to skip it. I just got Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam too, and that should do well enough. It features Paper Mario. :P

Edited by Anacybele

Are you suuure?

[Video contains profanity]

I'm not going to watch a video filled with profanity in an attempt to change my opinion. I played the game. I enjoyed it. The reason PMSS gets so much crap is because the haters are ridiculously vocal, and they gave the game a reputation it really didn't deserve.

Wow. I think the guy in that video is swearing WAY too much, but Sticker Star DOES sound awful. No leveling up or exp? Stickers are all gone once you use them? You're FORCED to use them even? And no partners either... Wow, just wow.

Trust me, it's not as bad as it sounds. Once you get a hang of the gameplay it actually plays quite well. Again, PMSS haters make the game sound a lot worse than it really is. It has a 75 on Metacritic and only one review (out of 69) is negative (a 4/10).

I think Sticker Star would've been received better if it didn't have the Paper Mario label on it.

Pretty much like how Federation Force would've likely been received better without the Metroid Prime name.

lol TTYD was absolutely awful.

Terrible settings. Rogueport was bleh and and the other areas were different for the sake of being different.

Each world was different in a creative and interesting way. Not sure why 'different for the sake of being different' matters if this is pulled off quite well.

Overly dramatic story. I only enjoy Bowser and Wario as antagonists. Shadow Queen and the X-Nauts were boring, and the story was basically a precursor to SPM's hideous train wreck story.

I've only played up to the beginning of World 8 but where, where was the story dramatic? It never handles anything seriously. I never got to Shadow Queen but I kind of enjoyed the X-Nauts, even if only for their designs. Not to mention, the story was nowhere near as involved as Super Paper Mario and felt like an expansion of the original with different collectibles, partners, and villains.

Bad partners. The original PM had 8 Mario enemies given new life and were interesting to see. Here we have two weird OCs, another Goomba and Koopa (which is fine I guess), a Yoshi which isn't an enemy, another Bob-omb, and a Little Mouser. Ms. Mowz is what I'd like to see. How about scrapping Flurrie and Vivian for actual Mario characters?

Now I agree on Flurrie. That wasn't a very good partner, in my opinion. But every other partner in the game was interesting and entertaining and their 'arcs' (for lack of a better statement) really did well on making each character (except for Flurrie) overall much better.

The backtracking was inane. People bring up the Twilight Trail, but the Boggly Woods is small. Chapter 7 is ridiculous with General White. Glitz Pit was basically a tiny sandbox. There was Chapter 5's forest. I did enjoy the Excess Express though.

Is the backtracking really a bad thing? It never happens enough to make me genuinely dislike it except for Boggly Woods but I didn't know talking to the bug thing leader returned all the bug things. I liked the entire Twilight Town because of Doopliss and his excellent antics and Boggly Woods was rather short in comparison to most of the other chapters but it was chock-full of fun puzzles and mechanics. While I remember General White taking a while, I didn't find it hurt my experience with the game at all and kind of helped since I was a bit underlevelled at the time. Glitz Pit was as you describe, but it also had a mildly entertaining mystery aspect to balance out the amounts of fighting going on which I thought was done really well. Chapter Five's forest doesn't that long to get through, but it's definitely lackluster compared to most of the other segments of the game. Excess Express was probably my favorite chapter in the game. If only it didn't have that boring section where the train broke down or something and you had to go through this boring and unfun building to fix it.

And then you have things like Francesca forcing Frankie to say I love you 100 times which isn't funny whatsoever.

I thought that scene was pretty good, but comedy is opinion-oriented so this is impossible to argue about.

SPM is an even bigger mess that I won't even start on.

I've never played past World Three, but I enjoyed what I saw of the game and it was certainly charming like the first two.

My favorite PM is probably Sticker Star. I enjoyed the settings, I liked Decalberg, it had some fun worlds like World 3 or World 4. I actually loved the gameplay with stickers, and the writing was so good. People say the story's bad, but I enjoy helping Wiggler more than helping random fire ghost.

A ton of people would hate it, but I'd rather have Sticker Star 2 or whatever than anything else.

And then that's it, since I've never played Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

I do love me a good Paper Margument.

Edited by ClarinetsandOboes

My two biggest problems with Sticker Star is that I found the music to be the best part of the game, and the gameplay rather pointless when you never need to fight a single normal enemy. Yes, music should be good, but it shouldn't be the pinnacle of the entire game. Gameplay should, and story/characters after. It's just...an RPG where there is no point to fighting? Just...weh. I liked a lot of moments, but it certainly is my least favorite Paper Mario.

Yeah, my views on TTYD are really opinionated tbh.

I do agree with Chapter 6 being great and how the station really hurt it. I loved the Express and the Glitz Pit due to the unique experiences they offered.

As for Flurrie, Flurrie is weird but also incredibly broken. Lip Lock was OP. Gale Force was OP. I pretty much broke the Shadow Queen by Gale Forcing the hands and Lip Locking the SQ so Flurrie would always stay at nearly full health.

As for Flurrie, Flurrie is weird but also incredibly broken. Lip Lock was OP. Gale Force was OP. I pretty much broke the Shadow Queen by Gale Forcing the hands and Lip Locking the SQ so Flurrie would always stay at nearly full health.

Haha, I never actually used Flurrie because I disliked her compared to literally every other possibility in the game. I generally lean towards using Vivian or Ms. Mowz, but I like Koops and Goombella (for Tattle completion) as well.

and SS's amazing writing.

Got any examples? Legitimately curious, I don't remember any text being in SS.

Stickers are all gone once you use them? You're FORCED to use them even?

Stickers vanishing when you use them isn't actually a problem- the game throws so many at you that you never run out and are frequently throwing them away to make room for more. And they all respawn whenever you reenter an area, so if you ever do need more, just go back to the main town and grab a pile off the ground.

You're not forced to use them either; since you gain nothing from battling there's no need to fight stuff.

...Actually, there is a place you can reasonably run out: bosses. The bosses are designed as puzzle fights, which basically means you either bring a certain, seemingly random sticker to expose their weakness (and then they pretty much die on their own), or you do so little damage you're at risk of running out of stickers before they die.

My strategy in TTYD was to use Vivian and burn everything into the ground with Fiery Jinx. But man, that also burned a lot of FP...

Vivian is hands down the mageliest partner in a Paper Mario game.

My strategy in TTYD was to use Vivian and burn everything into the ground with Fiery Jinx. But man, that also burned a lot of FP...

Vivian is hands down the mageliest partner in a Paper Mario game.

Flower Saver P, Flower Finder and Sweet Treat. All obtainable by the time you have her, and together she can spam it once or twice per battle and never run out, even on 10 max FP. The second Flower Saver P is nice too, but comes really late.

I'm hopeful for a new game. I've played all four games and hopefully they'll take inspiration from all four of them. The original just had a wonderful storybook feeling with all the whimsical atmosphere with every locale. TTYD's battle system and partner system were absolutely amazing, and were extremely engaging. SPM's innovation and (in my opinion) a compelling storyline really made me want to continue to see what happened to these characters, and Sticker Star had the Paper aesthetic dead on. If they put these upsides all into the new game I would be overjoyed. And I'm hopefully for the return of the almighty Goombella.

While I really don't like Sticker Star since the nonexistent plot and non-interesting characters made me bored extremely fast, I don't think it deserves all the flak it gets. just most of it

PM64 and TTYD are probably some of my favorite games of all time.

I would be so hype about the possibility of this game but after SPM and Sticker Star, I'm hesitant. ;(

all i want is mario on paper. i am a defender of sticker star and i dont care how much they change gameplay as long as it will come out a good game in its own right. companies want to try to make inovation but fans will complain if its too different. i really don't care because i generally don't judge games based on other games in the series.

*echoes hopes that it's true and hopes that it's like TTYD*

Loved TTYD and SPM a ton. I've never played SS and I've tried to play PM64 but I just...couldn't keep an interest in it. I dunno why.