Can you guys please recommend some games to me

scrub_Lord

I'll recommend the Ace Attorney trilogy on the 3DS for some of the best stories and well-written dialogue in gaming, Fire Emblem for gameplay and Persona 4 for the PS2 (works on 3 as well, right? I've only played it on the Vita) for a nice mix of both, provided you can stand some anime bullshit along the way.

Well I like anime so I should be right at home.

Also thank you for your suggestions!

The Zero Escape series for 3DS.

That game is a visual novel correct?

You can get in on the PS Store for a whopping $9.99

Also, question for OP: Do you like difficult games?

If not, I'd suggest steering away from the main Shin Megami Tensei games, because they're quite known for being really hard if you don't what you're doing

Difficult games are fine.

Just got this gamed called Legend of Dark Witch 2 on 3DS eShop, fun and cute~

Will look into!

Deus Ex: Human Revolution ,WiiU

Thanks!

For PS3, I'd recommend the Team Ico Collection, Demon's Souls, Dragon's Dogma, and Valkyria Chronicles. Everything else I'd recommend has been mentioned already.

Hmm I'm not familiar with team ico, but I have heard good things about dragon's dogma.

Hmm I'm not familiar with team ico, but I have heard good things about dragon's dogma.

Team Ico are the makers of Shadow of the Colossus, the Ico collection includes both SotC and their original game, Ico. SotC is probably my second favourite game of all time and a must play. It's better the less you know about it.

I like Dragon's Dogma, but if you're on a budget it has far less value than something like Skyrim or Oblivion, they play fairly similarly at heart as well. If you do get Dragon's Dogma make sure you get the Dark Arisen version it includes Bitterblack Isle and you're not really paying for it. (The original was released at full price then instead of DLC they released a second game that just included the expansion, it was released at reduced price, but still a fairly substantial loss for those ho had the first game. It includes the DLC from the first game, but that DLC was over-priced so IMO that's not really a factor that should be counted in the price especially if you bought the DLC on the first game you basically paid 30 for Bitterblack)

I like Dragon's Dogma, but if you're on a budget it has far less value than something like Skyrim or Oblivion, they play fairly similarly at heart as well. If you do get Dragon's Dogma make sure you get the Dark Arisen version it includes Bitterblack Isle and you're not really paying for it.

Skyrim/Oblivion are less similar to Dragon's Dogma than Dark Souls is. Sure they share a setting, but the core gameplay and experience is pretty different, especially once you consider post game and Bitterblack Isle. That being said, Skyrim and Oblivion definitely give more content than Dragon's Dogma. The value of the content varies from person to person.

Skyrim/Oblivion are less similar to Dragon's Dogma than Dark Souls is. Sure they share a setting, but the core gameplay and experience is pretty different, especially once you consider post game and Bitterblack Isle. That being said, Skyrim and Oblivion definitely give more content than Dragon's Dogma. The value of the content varies from person to person.

I beg to differ, the only reason Dogma gets compared to Dark Souls is the perceived damage scaling the actual gameplay is far close to Elder Scrolls than Dark Souls. If you use a Sword and Shield in Dogma there isn't much difference from Skyrim right down to stamina consumtions for Running and Blocking. You even have the option for a Shield Bash in Dogma when you have your shield up, the only thing you're actually lacking is directional input while fighting whereas Dark Souls is counter-centric Dragon's Dogma can only mimic Dark Souls gameplay wise with Clairvoyance and Masterful Kill. Even the bows play more like Skyrim, if you don't wait for the arrow to fully knock you lose accuracy (in different ways but same basic effect), Lyncean can mimic the zoom from Skyrim with the appropriate perk. Heck even Dragons and Griffins can drop in on you like the Dragons in skyrim. The atmosphere from Bitterblack and post game are closer to Dark Souls, but the "core gameplay" is still far more like Elder Scrolls than the counter based Dark Souls.

I was thinking more along the lines of the combat being complex and active, involving more focus and movement from the player to be able to respond to your enemies' actions, in Dogma and Dark Souls than in the Elder Scrolls games. I also don't see how Lyncean Sight and shield bashing point towards the Elder Scrolls when you can do the same thing in the Souls games. And again, I was heavily considering the dungeon-crawling gameplay and atmospheric aspect of BBI, hence why I mentioned it. I can kind of see your point about counter-based gameplay, though.

Trails of Cold Steel, if you can find it (PS3).

It's a gigantic world, with a roller coaster of a story, and a battle system that's hard but fair (usually). If you have Steam, go get Trails in the Sky (both of 'em), too!

EDIT: Use the Edit button instead of double-posting (next time will be a proper warn).

oh wow someone else besides me has played Trails of Cold Steel, that was a surprise

also, not going to recommend games because not only are there a lot already, but I'm not a fan of recommending games without specific details on what you want/like. there are thousands of "good" games out there, I need some criteria lol

I was thinking more along the lines of the combat being complex and active, involving more focus and movement from the player to be able to respond to your enemies' actions, in Dogma and Dark Souls than in the Elder Scrolls games. I also don't see how Lyncean Sight and shield bashing point towards the Elder Scrolls when you can do the same thing in the Souls games. And again, I was heavily considering the dungeon-crawling gameplay and atmospheric aspect of BBI, hence why I mentioned it. I can kind of see your point about counter-based gameplay, though.

Skyrim totally doesn't have dungeons right? BBI is like a giant dungeon, no different in atmosphere than some of the deeper dungeons in Skyrim. Combat in Dragon's Dogma is hardly complex nor is it really active. If you're using daggers it's pretty equivalent to Dual Weilding in Skyrim, you attack until you have to avoid certain attacks, when using a sword and shield it's not different that in Skyrim you don't have the option to dodge so you strafe around the enemy for better positioning or to get around their block, as a Warrior you have the same slow attacks and weak block in both. The damage taken in Dragon's Dogma is honestly closer to Skyrim as well, by the end you can ignore most attacks with impunity provided your gear is kept up and in Skyrim when you get levels under your belt most things aren't a threat either, but if you aren't cheesing the game through exploits which shouldn't be counted to begin with there are still things that can pose a threat. Bitterblack is DLC even if it comes with Dark Arisen it is DLC, it wasn't released with the original game and was re-released with the game no different than a Game of the Year edition game that also includes the DLC with the game. Bitterblack isn't even post-game you can start a new character at level 1 enter Bitterblack and beat it with that character it's not even that difficult to do.

It's pretty moot and to heavily consider the dungeon crawl aspect when it's not the majority of the actual game is pretty moot. Skyrim as I said has their fair share of dungeons in a mostly open world, the main game of Dragon's Dogma is far far closer to the Skyrim and even Bitterblack feels more like a Skyrim dungeon than it does Dark Souls. Post-game is just that post-game that's not supposed to be the main measure of the game, but I'll concede post-game feels more like Dark Souls from a atmosphere, but that's hardly "core gameplay". The core gameplay has nothing to do with the atmosphere at all, the core gameplay for Dark Souls is counter-based, Dragon's Dogma is not. The core gameplay from Dragon's Dogma and Skyrim are both primarily single buttons attacks with blocking, if you're using daggers or dual wield you dodge instead of block in both games. Elder Scrolls is closer to Dragon's Dogma.

All of it is pretty moot, judging by the opening their looking for games with good value, Dragon's Dogma can be beaten in about 3-4 hours and that's mostly walking until you get to place port crystals then when you do you can EASILY cut it down to an hour, if you have everything set up even a modest run through would be 30 minutes.

Edited by Dwlr

I'll concede most of my points except for the bit about the combat being more active, because in Dragon's Dogma the melee combat is definitely more active because you actually have different moves you can perform and use to move around the battlefield. Not to mention large monster battles are completely different in Dogma than they are in Skyrim. And Dark Souls, really, so in this regard it's more like SotC lol.

One last thing- just because the player can run through a game in only a few hours or go to high level areas at level 1 doesn't reduce the amount of content in the game or mean that they'll do it. You can run through any of the games in this discussion at super low levels. I'd reckon that average players of Dragon's Dogma will take way more than 3-4 hours to beat it and won't do Bitterblack Isle until post-game because of the way it's scaled. I already mentioned that the Elder Scrolls games have more content, so I'm not arguing that, though I will again state that the value of the content is subjective.

e: also if I had to recommend an Elder Scrolls game, it would be Oblivion over Skyrim because OP has a PS3 and Skyrim runs like garbage on the PS3

Edited by Ambling Falchion

I'm gonna make a smaller recommendation of the 3ds's Boxboy. It may be easy at times and it's not very long, but it has a surprising amount of personality for a game that's black and white, and it's only 5 bucks so it worth a shot.