Killing the Black Knight in 3-7

I want to kill the Black Knight with Ike for the special dialogue.

Really, the dialogue is nothing special. I don't think Ike even makes a comment about beating him (that is any different from the one you get just by attacking him).

Really, the dialogue is nothing special. I don't think Ike even makes a comment about beating him (that is any different from the one you get just by attacking him).

True. With Ike it's more "you're not strong enough to beat me still but you've made progress", while defeating him with someone else is "Impossible... I've been defeated?". Still, it's extra dialogue and I like getting things like that.

True. With Ike it's more "you're not strong enough to beat me still but you've made progress", while defeating him with someone else is "Impossible... I've been defeated?". Still, it's extra dialogue and I like getting things like that.

well it's pretty pointless and unimpressive but

it is kinda amusing seeing ike and the black knight talk like ike's improved greatly since their last battle, even though he probably did like 1 damage to him

To be fair, Ike was practically doing scratch damage with Ragnell, a legendary sword, during their first encounter. It's only through Aether, Wrath or Adept (or really good dodging luck such that Mist can run off to murder the Physic Bishop, I guess) that he can win. The fact that Ike can scratch him without a legendary weapon, even with the Black Knight having gained more Def, is still an indication of improvement (and from a meta perspective, this kinda shows in that Ike's Hero caps are a step above his Lord caps).

I dunno, there's a glaring story gameplay gap with how he can take him on with ease once he's promoted, while the story reason is that he trained for 3 years to take him on, not he needed a boost from Yune.

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense. I don't think Ike defeating him here would make much sense whether the dialogue says he beat the BK or not. If he did beat him here, then Zelgius would realize he was never a match for Greil early and the fight with him in Part 4 would be pointless, and since he doesn't, that means Ike required Yune's blessing to beat the BK so it's kind of a hollow victory among some other things. I think the writers just didn't expect anyone to be able to kill the BK in 3-7, especially considering the only way Ike can damage him is with capped strength and a Steel Sword forge,

Edited by kantoorfarina

Even though the BK's stats don't change, it could probably be assumed from a story perspective, that since the BK is fighting on Ashera's side, he also has some lower level of her blessing. That is, more comparable to the gold troops or Lekain than Big D or Lehran. This would mean that both champions would be fighting with their matron's blessing, evening things out.

I agree that it makes no sense of Ike to truly beat the BK in 3-7 and if I'm remembering the conversation correctly, I get the impression that the BK let him win, though not in as dramatic a fashion. So yes, Ike did improve, but no, it's still not enough.

Even though the BK's stats don't change, it could probably be assumed from a story perspective, that since the BK is fighting on Ashera's side, he also has some lower level of her blessing. That is, more comparable to the gold troops or Lekain than Big D or Lehran. This would mean that both champions would be fighting with their matron's blessing, evening things out.

I agree that it makes no sense of Ike to truly beat the BK in 3-7 and if I'm remembering the conversation correctly, I get the impression that the BK let him win, though not in as dramatic a fashion. So yes, Ike did improve, but no, it's still not enough.

Hm, I suppose you're right. From what I gather, the Black Knight didn't exactly let him win, it's more the Black Knight just decided he was done testing Ike, so neither really won. I think the best solution would be to make his dialogue more like, Ike wounded the Black Knight not to the point where it defeated him, and the Black Knight simply left the battlefield to avoid being killed by something else before they got far enough in to the battle to where they could decide whether Ike had gotten strong enough to beat him or not.